SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-17, 11:46 PM   #1
KapnCrunch
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default TLAM Strikes?

On the land strike missions, I'm firing the 10 TLAMs at the little circle on the map. They seem to be striking targets, fuel tanks and such. I leave the mission, but I'm getting a failure mission. What am I screwing up here?
KapnCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 01:07 AM   #2
fhog
Swabbie

Downloads: 21

At least you're getting the circle on the map. The circle doesn't even show on my map. I'm starting to believe the cruise missile missions are bugged.
fhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 03:00 AM   #3
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Downloads: 0

Did all 10 hit targets? Were any shot down of collided with terrain in transit?
Old 06-11-17, 11:23 AM   #4
KapnCrunch
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish Games View Post
Did all 10 hit targets? Were any shot down of collided with terrain in transit?
They all struck targets from what I could see. As I mentioned, they struck mostly storage tanks and warehouse-looking buildings in a king of village-type setting. The briefing mentioned something about hitting an airbase or something along those lines, so not sure if those were the right targets; however, they were fired into the guide circle on the map and appeared to acquire targets right after. None were shot down for sure. There didn't seem to be any air defenses present.

I've had three of these missions so far on a single campaign since installing the patch 1.01 beta, which I started before doing that. Might have something to do with that. Will have to do some more research.
Old 06-11-17, 12:36 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

KapnCrunch!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 09:07 PM   #6
KapnCrunch
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
KapnCrunch!
That's Kapn Horatio Magellan Crunch to you, sir!
Save
Old 06-14-17, 12:52 PM   #7
sagelink
Swabbie

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapnCrunch View Post
They all struck targets from what I could see. As I mentioned, they struck mostly storage tanks and warehouse-looking buildings in a king of village-type setting. The briefing mentioned something about hitting an airbase or something along those lines, so not sure if those were the right targets; however, they were fired into the guide circle on the map and appeared to acquire targets right after. None were shot down for sure. There didn't seem to be any air defenses present.

I've had three of these missions so far on a single campaign since installing the patch 1.01 beta, which I started before doing that. Might have something to do with that. Will have to do some more research.
I've had the same issue even after the patch. I'm going to try and see if maybe directing the TLAM to the ports will make a difference. I've followed every missile via the event cam to make sure they were hitting a target within the circle, which they all did, but I still got a mission failure. Again, I'll try launching at the ports instead to see if that makes a difference.
sagelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 01:21 PM   #8
VizlaN
Watch

Downloads: 99

Make sure there is 5 plumes of smoke coming from each port(Assume this is Arkhangelsk?) First time I did it I also got a failure even tho I fired 10 missiles, but I fired them in groups of 4 rapidly and distinctly remember counting 4 plumes of smoke from one of the ports. Second time around I carried a few extra and made sure to fire the missiles with at least 10 second spacing, and I fired 14 in total "just to be sure". That time it succeeded.
VizlaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 02:13 PM   #9
jenrick
Bosun

Downloads: 28

I think it's kind of shady to have the players success or failure based on having the missile actually strike the target. We're not setting up a TLAM strike with waypoints etc as one in the real world.

I'd either have it set to where the player just has to launch the 10 TLAM's into the circle (simulating the first waypoint or something), or they need to get to specific location on the strategic map (this is how RSR did it).

I'd prefer the second option personally. Real world if I've got some time in the schedule and also have a missile with over a 1,000 NM range, I'm going to find a nice quiet spot in the ocean away from everyone to launch them, rather then sailing in artillery range of the base almost to launch them. It'd be one thing if they were say strikes against in-land targets, but they way it's written it's against coastal targets you can almost launch from port (it's 1,500 miles from Holy Loch to Murmansk straight line). You can hit Murmansk from the middle of the Norwegian Sea with no issues, and with missiles have a semi-realistic flight path (minimum of 100 miles off shore until the final leg).

I like the mission concept, just the way it's done it feels to forced. You have to sail in close enough to almost launch a SEAL team to launch a cruise missile with a 1,500 mile range to hit the port?! In RSR it worked well, as embarking TLAM's really took up a lot of stores space, so you dodged any contacts while you worked your way close to the launch point. Once you got close enough, it was a cut scene and your were given a mission success.

-Jenrick
jenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 03:27 PM   #10
VizlaN
Watch

Downloads: 99

Just got my first strike mission on Murmansk, it is impossible to finish.
Images

Tried 3 different angles and they all end up hitting the mountain, you can't even reach the waypoint.
VizlaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-17, 11:51 AM   #11
cookiemonste
Medic

Downloads: 78

I had a strike mission the other day and got failure messages too.
What I learned from another member is that you need to fire at least 4 more missiles at the target. Because they can get shot down.
cookiemonste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-17, 12:22 PM   #12
Shadow
Torpedoman

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrick View Post
I think it's kind of shady to have the players success or failure based on having the missile actually strike the target. We're not setting up a TLAM strike with waypoints etc as one in the real world.

I'd either have it set to where the player just has to launch the 10 TLAM's into the circle (simulating the first waypoint or something), or they need to get to specific location on the strategic map (this is how RSR did it).

I'd prefer the second option personally. Real world if I've got some time in the schedule and also have a missile with over a 1,000 NM range, I'm going to find a nice quiet spot in the ocean away from everyone to launch them, rather then sailing in artillery range of the base almost to launch them. It'd be one thing if they were say strikes against in-land targets, but they way it's written it's against coastal targets you can almost launch from port (it's 1,500 miles from Holy Loch to Murmansk straight line). You can hit Murmansk from the middle of the Norwegian Sea with no issues, and with missiles have a semi-realistic flight path (minimum of 100 miles off shore until the final leg).

I like the mission concept, just the way it's done it feels to forced. You have to sail in close enough to almost launch a SEAL team to launch a cruise missile with a 1,500 mile range to hit the port?! In RSR it worked well, as embarking TLAM's really took up a lot of stores space, so you dodged any contacts while you worked your way close to the launch point. Once you got close enough, it was a cut scene and your were given a mission success.

-Jenrick
It could be argued that TLAM strikes have to be carried out from as close as possible to minimize the chance of detection and interception. Considering warships are constantly patrolling the waters, if you were to fire cruise missiles from hundreds of miles away, you'd give the enemy ample time to put vessels in the warheads' path and easily shoot them all down.

You already have considerably less than 100% accuracy being around the corner. Imagine if the Soviets had something like an hour to make sure that figure is zero.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-17, 01:32 PM   #13
jenrick
Bosun

Downloads: 28

Quote:
It could be argued that TLAM strikes have to be carried out from as close as possible to minimize the chance of detection and interception. Considering warships are constantly patrolling the waters, if you were to fire cruise missiles from hundreds of miles away, you'd give the enemy ample time to put vessels in the warheads' path and easily shoot them all down.
The odds of a TLAM strike being picked up from a distance would be minimal. That's the point of cruise missiles. They have standoff, and are very hard to detect. Yes there is always a risk of having them overfly some random surface unit that can engage them, but it's minimal. Why did we spend all the time and resources to develop them to have 1,000+ nm ranges if we're going to launch them from less then 15 miles off shore?

As far as interception goes, a TLAM flies at approximately 550 mph (478 knots). Lets say the soviets have something that can do 50 knots and knock down a TLAM handy. Using the longest launch range I can find (1,550 miles) to give the longest time to move to the interception point, said surface craft would have to be within 150 nautical miles (plus whatever the weapon engagement envelope would be) of the flight path at the moment of launch. I'll be generous and say 200 nautical miles. That's assuming they can take off at flank speed the second the missile breaks the water. Honestly the risk of a surface unit being in range to intercept (other then by blind luck), is really only an issue as you get close to the target of the strike. Where air cover, ground based defenses, etc are all in place already.

Quote:
You already have considerably less than 100% accuracy being around the corner. Imagine if the Soviets had something like an hour to make sure that figure is zero.
The accuracy of the attack has nothing to do with range. You actually want the missile to have a couple of land legs to get the navigation straightened out and the most accurate. At the time frame of CW the navigation would have been done most likely with terrain matching (I don't believe the GPS guidance would have been in place yet), and water makes for a poor piece of terrain to compare against. So unless the soviets can radically reshape the landscape (which theoretically you could do with atomic munitions for an important enough target), they can't do anything to decrease missile accuracy. The worst quoted CEP I can find for the TLAM is 80m for the TLAM-N (nuclear), and on average the block II models are listed as having a CEP of 10m.

I'm not crazy about the TLAM mission currently, but if it was base on simply firing off the TLAM's and getting out alive I'd be okay with it. Having the success or failure of the strike be on the player though (since we can't set ingress routes, pick target points, etc) I think is a little punishing.

-Jenrick
jenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-17, 05:59 PM   #14
ollie1983
Sailor man

Downloads: 5

Operationally a TLAM strike would be near impossible to meaningfully intercept. With that effective range, their speed, small physical size and contour following guidance, they would be near impossible to stop without airborne interceptors being placed at the right time to find and hit them. It would still be no small feat to hit a missile tracking the ground at low altitude using air to air missiles given the effect of ground clutter on radar.

Even SAM and AAA on the ground at the intended target would have seconds to make a shot. CIWS on the seas is one thing, but on land it is a another matter entirely.
ollie1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-17, 07:22 PM   #15
Shadow
Torpedoman

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 2

The crux of the matter is that it's either this or no mission at all, because moving to a viable launch position on the strategic map and clicking on a button is not a challenge at all. Especially considering the long range TLAMs have, it'd be far too easy (and unpredictable for the enemy) to find a suitable spot with no threats within dozens of nautical miles and launch entirely safely.

The interception argument came from me thinking in CMANO terms, really, given there cruise missiles are detected with some anticipation and SAM batteries usually have time to fire off several shots, making stand-off attacks feasible only in significant volumes, which the average attack sub can't put out fast enough.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote