SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-17-18, 05:51 PM   #1
chazsi
A-ganger

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Default Not enough fuel to complete mission

Hey guys!! I'm coming back to subsim after YEARS away and it all seems brand new. I'm a noob again.

So my first campaign mission based out of Pearl Harbor is to drop off six dudes at Yokosuka. It takes 80% of my fuel just to get there and that's alternating battery and fuel all the way.

Should I just skip this mission? Why would that be a mission? Is there a refuel port somewhere?

Seems weird?

Thanks in advance
chazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 06:08 PM   #2
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

What speed are you running at?

Have you installed any mods, and if so, which ones?
Old 01-17-18, 06:31 PM   #3
chazsi
A-ganger

Downloads: 54

No mods yet

I've tried it at "full speed" alternating diving to use battery as well as "standard speed" alternating diving to use battery to conserve diesel

First try was all diesel. 3/4 of the way there I realized I was running out of fuel.

I just don't get why they would send someone from Pearl that far when there are other bases so much closer. ??
chazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 08:30 PM   #4
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Default RE

You need to not run at full speed everything from what I am seeing is that you are doing just that on the surface change your speed dial and run at 10 knts .. under the surface run your speed at 1-2 knots and everytime you surface unless your battery is completly depleted click off recharge batteries keep doing so that you will keep 75-100 charge
Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 11:45 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Pearl to Japan, stop at Midway along the way and top off your fuel tanks. There are no bases closer until into 1944. It is usually best to stay on the surface as much as possible. If you have air search radar, use it, and dive if necessary. Follow the Rockin Robbins' Rule:

When you dive and use batteries, the batteries get charged when you surface, which reduces your fuel efficiency, since one of the engines charges, while the other propels the boat. You can do what Captain_AJ suggests to preserve battery and fuel, but not letting the battery get down to begin with is better.

For most mods and Stock, for best fuel efficiency, use no more than Ahead Standard. A couple of them have Ahead Two Thirds (Slow), and another will have you set the speed on the knots dial Hover your mouse over that "boxy" area below the speed telegraph dial, and you'll get this (no red arrow, of course):

Click that area, and you get the knots. Click it again, and you're back to the telegraph

Likewise with the direction via compass to degrees of turn and back:

... and the depth gauge shallow and deep:

... and, of course, stop at Midway on the way back and get more fuel...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 12:10 AM   #6
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

I don't remember if it exists in stock, but check under the navigation section of the command bar to see if there's a "Maximum Range" option. I know it exists in mods, and I have a hazy memory of it existing at least in the commands file, but not with a key assignment.

If it does exist, use it at various speed settings to get an idea of the most efficient speed. You'll find that running at high speeds will severely reduce your distance to fuel ratio. Running across the Pacific at lower speeds is not as exciting, but for most of the way, you can use rather high time compression. Just remember to lower it when you get closer to Imperial waters, or you'll be sunk by a plane you never even get a chance to notice.