SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-17, 10:14 PM   #4891
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dave J. Harper View Post
... how do i install large address aware ... i should note my install is defult to steam ...
FotRSU is just like all the other mods, and will work under certain (most) conditions. Where do you have SH4 installed? You do NOT want to be in your Program Files (x86) directory - er, folder. A page or two ago, I did this:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...91#post2496891

... so manage your install via the Steam interface and stay away from a Windows Protected folder. Then point your browser at CapnScurvy's Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install for everything you ever wanted to know about installing Windows 10, SH4, and LAA, all in one thread. It's full of useful info even if you don't use Win10... He's got most of his pictures back up in that after the Photobucket fiasco...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
24#^&%#@!!!! I missed it!
--- graph ---
How did you miss that?... - I posted about it I'll bet a half-dozen times... Great price, eh? There's gotta be a reason for that, either a Steam killer, or MS is up to no good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Propbeanie, you asked "btw, is anyone doing an Alaskan campaign?..."
Do you mean the War Patrols to the Aleutions ?
Or is there an Alaskan Campaign ?
I've played a couple of those War Patrols, no problems so far.
We definitely need it all run through, and I was reasonably certain that cdrsubron7's Single (Quick) Missions would work, and that the Patrols that Cgrimes had made would also, but I'm mostly worried about the Campaign. It's using a "hybrid" traffic layer that I'm curious how well it will work.

To get to it, from the menu, where you choose your "Date", scroll on down below the last of the war, and there is the Alaskan Campaign and the two New Construction choices. The plan is to move those choices down below before release - maybe...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 10:32 AM   #4892
captnmike
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Gentlemen and Modder's, I personally thank all of you for the improvements made in the FOTRSU Mod that we have to date! I have lots of free time on my hands and play this game daily, probably 3-4 hrs. I don't comment much on this forum because most of my concerns are the same as the people who do. However, in regards to the Large Address Aware (LAA) usage I am wondering if there is a positive way to verify that it activated and working properly other than just assuming it is when installed correctly to the game directory? I have noticed through the use of Widows 10 "Task Manager", when "opening" LAA.exe it does indeed show the App is running, but if you then close LAA.exe the App drops out of windows task manager? But if you leave it open in a window on the desktop or "minimize" it, task manager confirms that it is running while you are playing SH-4,FOTRSU. BTW, with the latest version of FOTRSU 6.2 I have not had any CTD's or fail to save issues even without the use of LAA! Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
captnmike: System:Gateway FX-6800,IntelCorei7-920,9-GB DDR3,Invidia GT-610(2GB)VRM, Window10-64bit.
Old 07-07-17, 12:06 PM   #4893
propbeanie

The LAA applet just sets some bits in an executable file that tells the OS that the altered executable file can access over 2gig of system RAM. Once the executable is 'set' by LAA, the LAA applet is no longer needed. If you run LAA again though, you should be able to see SH4.EXE in the list, and whether or not its bits are set. Refer to CapnScurvy's thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Instal.

Old 07-07-17, 01:11 PM   #4894
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

To chime in with what propbeanie pointed out, LAA does its magic one time....it simply changes the games "sh4.exe" file (the Execution file) that starts the game. It doesn't run in the background doing something that needs to be kept going.

You can tell whether LAA has done its thing by simply checking in the LAA "Advanced" menu and seeing if "True" is under the LAA column for your correct game path:

Outside of eliminating issues with a past game, you won't really see a difference except maybe looking at the sh4.exe file itself and noticing a new "Modified" date for the file.

Two things, read the LAA thread. The creator is still active on this forum page. If you have specific questions he can help.

Use the correct version for the .netFramework that's installed on your computer. There are two different versions of LAA depending on the .netFramework version your OS uses. To learn more about how to check....go to the Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 03:08 PM   #4895
captnmike
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

propbeanie and CapnScurvy,
Thanks for your reply and I do believe I'm using the correct version (64-bit) LAA. And my registry shows I have "Netframework v4.0 so guess everything is working correctly, but wish there was a better way to verify that it truly is controlling the exe. that is enabled?
Thanks, captnmike
Old 07-07-17, 03:42 PM   #4896
propbeanie

There is no "controlling the exe" - once it's set, it's set. Think of it like a mailbox out front on the street, and you've set the mail flag up. Only difference is, the flag stays up and gets checked every time the program runs. Look at CapnScurvy's picture in the post above yours. If you look at the SH4.EXE file in the list, and it has "True" under the LAA column, you're good to go. If not, check the "Attributes" under the SH4.exe file Properties page, and make sure it is NOT set to "Read-only", else the LAA settings won't take.

Old 07-07-17, 11:52 PM   #4897
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnmike View Post
but wish there was a better way to verify that it truly is controlling the exe. that is enabled?
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Only difference is, the flag stays up and gets checked every time the program runs.
Couldn't you open task manager, with SH4 running, click the performance tab, and then be able to see a larger amount of RAM being utilized than before LAA was applied?
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 07:19 AM   #4898
propbeanie

There are some utilities out there that can give you a graphical image of the percentage of RAM a program uses, but the MS Task Manager is basically an "Overview" kind of thang. I'm not sure you'd be able to isolate the SH4 exe and it's associated processes enough to see a change in footprint, unless you do a "before and after" snapshot of the same Windows boot, and compare them.

By running the LAA applet a 2nd time, you can see whether or not the SH4.EXE is set "TRUE" under the LAA column. If it is, it's being "advertised" to Windows that it is capable of addressing more than 2 Gig of RAM. Windows still is the memory manager though, and will allocate based upon its perceived "need". So if Windows says "I need more RAM for the Windows Update process." It will allocate more RAM for it, at the expense of the rest of the computer. Even still though, SH4.EXE, with that TRUE in the LAA column, as illustrated in CapnScurvy's screen grab, tells you that it is enabled, and that's all that we're concerned about from here. Windows does the rest.

If you need to free more system resources, there are little "game starter" applets that can kill Windows processes as you load SH4.EXE, and then re-enable said processes when you exit from the SH4.EXE process. Caution must be exercised when using them, and I'll tell you right now that a Win10 user may well end up with a black screen, flashing cursor up in the upper left corner. If used, you definitely want one written for your OS. LAA should suffice for most systems, probably in the 99% of Windows users range.

Old 07-08-17, 07:32 AM   #4899
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

When you wrote LAA It seems it is not the same of 4Gb Patch.

Ever I use 4Gb patch in SH4 modded. You need to unckeck Read Only in properties for SH4.exe. Also run it with Administrator Rights and Windows 7 compatibilty ( I have W10 home basic). When applied 4Gb Patch the app generates a backup of your exe in the SH4 folder and the modified SH4.exe takes the data of conversion and not original SH4.exe from 2007.

Also I use d3dx dll antilag by Kegetys fixed to 35 FPS and 3 frames prerendered. AA 4x4 and 16x Anisotropic all via NVidia Inspector (overriding application settings). AA compatibility 0×2000000 (Need for Speed etc).

These is more than sufficient for a good performance in FOTRSU and TMO. The " fire test" is the Museum. FOTRSU and TMO without 4Gb Patch don't charge and CTD. My museum in FOTRSU open totally without CTD.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 07:47 AM   #4900
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Icon1

I came across something that needs to be reported. As I was returning from patrol, came across two ships, the first was a 'Medium European Composite' and the second was a' Large Old Tanker'. The first ship looked normal, but the second one lacked detail. The sides of the ship were normal but, the deck and top of superstructure were white and showed no rigging. At the same, my boat was a Tambor Class, USS Thresher (USS-200) based out of Fremantle , Australia. Position of the sighting, Long 125° 22'E Lat 05° 14'S. The two ship convey was on a course of 42° at seven knots.

Upon returning to base, I accepted a new class of submarine, Gar Class, USS Grampus (USS 207). One of the upgrades that I purchased was a bow mounted 4 inch .05 caliber gun.

But received an alt mounted gun.

The new version 0.62 running great. No problems when switching from version 0.61. I just continue to follow the good Capn Scurvy advice from
post # 7 of [TEC] Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 in this thread.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
Larry

End of Report
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 07:53 AM   #4901
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

@CapnScurvy: is there some possibility of a complete OTC addon for FOTRSU? I miss it from TMO...I'm trying to use cameras.dat from OTC TMO RSRDC in FOTRSU. I like the all free external camera from OTC. In fact I applied it in GFO OTC with OK results.

Also: I like (as TMO) the 3D TDC and not the radio room for UBoat.

Could be all these as addons mods in next updates for FOTRSU?

Many Thanks!

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 09:21 AM   #4902
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Thanks Larry for your report!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 10:38 AM   #4903
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Larrywb57, so it was the Large Old Tanker that had an issue with its upper deck texture? Do you remember what the date/year was when you encountered it?

This Gar boat seems to have more problems than the others with upgrades.....I wonder what's going on??

================

Fitzcarraldo, remind me what is the difference between the OTC for TMO External Camera, compared to the External Camera from Fotrs Ultimate? What do you see that's more likeable? I thought I had them pretty much the same, but I can be wrong.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 10:51 AM   #4904
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1108
Uploads: 10

Larrywb57,

Also did you notice what flag was it flying please ?
As this vessel is in nine different rosters..
Old 07-08-17, 11:13 AM   #4905
propbeanie

Besides the date and the flag... - you say "on a course of 42° at seven knots". Is that "traveling toward" the 42, or traveling away from 42? Was that in relation to your sub, or the chart? (just to be certain) I found a GENERIC Freighter and GENERIC Tanker group out of Davao in the Merchants layers, that travels on that line in the area, but on a heading of about 212... Another out of Manila travels on like a 100 heading, but may have been trying to avoid you... were you spotted? In all cases, there is no zig-zagging in the area, because of the strates.