SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-12, 09:30 AM   #3676
BernieP2
Watch

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default Me Too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Ducimus, loving 2.5, actually playing without RSRD currently, change things up.One issue though is bow tubes and stern tubes are getting destroyed very easily(not showing up on the DC screen as destroyed though but when try to open, no sound and when fire it reports tubes are too damage to launch) did you change something? Also, the adjusted fuel is not allowing for the ahead standard cruise as in other versions.fuel burns fast at ahead standard.What would I need to do to change it back?
I was on a convoy attack and had the same problelm .. all fwd tubes unusable but damage shows 000% and no damage shown on the DC screen.

Haven't had any problem with speed or fuel usage.

My setup currently is as follows:

TMO 2.5
RSRDC_TMO V502
RSRDC V5xx Patch1
TMO Visuals for RSRDC
Fixed Zero Bomb Load RSRDC
Fixed CD Sonar RSRDc
Max Optics for TMO_2
OPCF green
3000 yd Bearing Tool (1440x)

Any comments and / or suggestions on on a fix or other mods, etc. are welcomed!!

Thanks so much again to all the modders and what they've done to make a good game GREAT! And thanks to the forum commenters and the information and experiences they share so freely.

Fair Winds and Good Hunting

BernieP2

Athlon 64 Processor 4000, 4 gig memory, HP 16x9 19" monitor. Ditched the on-board NVIDIA Geforce 6150 for a newer Geforce 8400 GS card w/ 512MB DDR2. and running XP Pro .. frame rates are a bit slow, but it works fine...
BernieP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 10:34 AM   #3677
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

[QUOTE=BernieP2;1823419]

TMO 2.5
RSRDC_TMO V502
RSRDC V5xx Patch1
TMO Visuals for RSRDC
Fixed Zero Bomb Load RSRDC
Fixed CD Sonar RSRDc
Max Optics for TMO_2
OPCF green
3000 yd Bearing Tool (1440x)

Any comments and / or suggestions on on a fix or other mods, etc. are welcomed!!

Try these. I've been using them with 2.5.

TGT AOB TO PK FIX - TMO
Convoy Routes TMO 2.0
TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4
Splash_effect_DC_bombs_bullets_shells_1.0_for_TMO2

Also like to add a "me too" regarding fuel mileage, since I now cruise at 12 knots instead of 15, and also experienced what I thoguht was more fragile torpedo tubes with a Tmbor and a Gato so far.
Old 01-18-12, 11:03 AM   #3678
EricW
Bosun

Downloads: 66
Default Strange refit/upgrade prob....

I started playing TMO 2.5 with a Sargo class (NEVER used that one for some reason). I started in the Asiatic fleet in June '42 and had a good first patrol... 5 ships down with the torp dud/premature rate at over 50%.
I finished the patrol and got a conning tower refit/upgrade right away. I started patrol 2 and immediately went to ext. cam to check out what the refit looked like on the (odd) conning tower of the Salmon/Sargo classes. Yup, the shear plating was gone, the fairwater was removed around the 20mm.
It looked cool......but something was wrong.

It took me a few minutes to notice that there's NO SJ radar mast......

I started in 42 because I get surface radar right away and it worked fine on the first patrol......just no ranging unit (which I knew wasn't going to be there) but after my refit, it was gone.

I reloaded the "leaving base" autosave and made sure that I had the SJ radar at base......started my patrol again and........no SJ radar.

I've never seen that one before, anybody else have that happen?
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 11:17 AM   #3679
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
, the adjusted fuel is not allowing for the ahead standard cruise as in other versions.fuel burns fast at ahead standard.What would I need to do to change it back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gAiNiAc View Post
I noticed that as well......2/3rd's is the most fuel efficient setting....

Blame the cheaters, but don't think so two dimensionally about fuel. You can travel to your patrol area at ahead standard, and then while there, drop it down to 2/3rds. I tested that myself, it works. You just have to do a few more mental calculations is all. I LOVE cruising at ahead standard and faster then 10 knots. Don't think id give that up so easily.

The problem is the "Min/max'er syndrome" . "OMG 2/3rds is the most efficient, so NOTHING else is viable!!!one111" That simply isn't so. Do you think a real submarine captain would travel at the same speed the entire length of a patrol? Mix it up, you'll be pleasantly surprised if you think about your fuel, and plan ahead.

As for torpedo tubes, no i haven't touched them.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 06:08 PM   #3680
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Blame the cheaters, but don't think so two dimensionally about fuel. You can travel to your patrol area at ahead standard, and then while there, drop it down to 2/3rds. I tested that myself, it works. You just have to do a few more mental calculations is all. I LOVE cruising at ahead standard and faster then 10 knots. Don't think id give that up so easily.

The problem is the "Min/max'er syndrome" . "OMG 2/3rds is the most efficient, so NOTHING else is viable!!!one111" That simply isn't so. Do you think a real submarine captain would travel at the same speed the entire length of a patrol? Mix it up, you'll be pleasantly surprised if you think about your fuel, and plan ahead.

As for torpedo tubes, no i haven't touched them.
Just seems to burn a lot of a fuel traveling at ahead standard to patrol area as opposed to previous version, I do cruise at 10 knots because am aware they wouldnt travel at 15 knots the entire time in the area . 15 when en route to area.Does the fuel still account for fuel in the ballast tanks?(assume it does since that special ability is disabled still)
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 07:48 PM   #3681
jokerl90
Seaman

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
I started playing TMO 2.5 with a Sargo class (NEVER used that one for some reason). I started in the Asiatic fleet in June '42 and had a good first patrol... 5 ships down with the torp dud/premature rate at over 50%.
I finished the patrol and got a conning tower refit/upgrade right away. I started patrol 2 and immediately went to ext. cam to check out what the refit looked like on the (odd) conning tower of the Salmon/Sargo classes. Yup, the shear plating was gone, the fairwater was removed around the 20mm.
It looked cool......but something was wrong.

It took me a few minutes to notice that there's NO SJ radar mast......

I started in 42 because I get surface radar right away and it worked fine on the first patrol......just no ranging unit (which I knew wasn't going to be there) but after my refit, it was gone.

I reloaded the "leaving base" autosave and made sure that I had the SJ radar at base......started my patrol again and........no SJ radar.

I've never seen that one before, anybody else have that happen?
Check out this thread. Look at reply #7.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147287
jokerl90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 05:06 AM   #3682
seaplate hitman
Medic

Downloads: 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdina View Post
Just hit control-N and it will change the weather to a clear day. You need to be looking through the scope or TBT to make it work.
Thanks a lot !
seaplate hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 01:22 PM   #3683
gAiNiAc
Weps

Downloads: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post

Yeah.....I know. I never run out of gas.............

I just figured I'd chime in to make sure things are intentionally as they should be. Love the mod....... (Narwhal???? my pm??? )
Old 01-19-12, 06:31 PM   #3684
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Is it possible to add the Subsim Narwhal to TMO? I picked it up some time ago, but forgot about it, until today and found it as I was going through and deleting old mod files that aren't needed anymore.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 10:19 AM   #3685
EricW
Bosun

Downloads: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerl90 View Post
Check out this thread. Look at reply #7.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147287
Thanks
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 10:48 AM   #3686
gAiNiAc
Weps

Downloads: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314 View Post
Is it possible to add the Subsim Narwhal to TMO? I picked it up some time ago, but forgot about it, until today and found it as I was going through and deleting old mod files that aren't needed anymore.

As I understand it is not possible without caveats that break the upgrade progression of the game.
Old 01-22-12, 03:09 AM   #3687
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by gAiNiAc View Post
As I understand it is not possible without caveats that break the upgrade progression of the game.
Alright. Thanks gAiNiAc.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 05:20 PM   #3688
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Nice work on 2.5 Ducimus been away from SH and Subsim for a while decided to see what has been going on since I have been away. I have not played much of 2.5 yet but what I have seen looks great and I like the sound of your sub hunter improvements now it sounds like you will understand why Fluckey got an MOH for his China harbor visit.Now I don't have to "pretend" like the harbor is actually defended well.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 02:28 PM   #3689
kstanb
Sparky

Downloads: 105

First of all, I want to thank the Ducimus/ modders for an amazing work; I think this mod is great

Some comments based on my experiences so far:

- the difficult level is just perfect for my play style, it is not as easy as other main mods, but not as hard as the previous TMO

- Ports are not well defended.. yesteday I went to the Truk lagoon, and sunk 3 big merchants... then got out easy... so recharged torpedoes and went back again... 2 more merchs destroyed... which is more than 20K tons... It might be a good idea to increase defenses or add more mines

- Somehow, damage repairs have been done in seconds... I don't know if it has to do with the special "repair" ability of some of my crew members, one time I got 40% hull damage in a gun fight (I was at the deck gun), by the time I went to damage control to check, damage was fully repaired

- Minor issues so far with Mark 14... (so far less than 20% dud rate).. to a point where I am no longer missing the slower Mark10. I have been carefully following instructions to avoid duds... maybe the special "torp" ability is also helping...

- There is only one thing I really miss from another mega mod; sinking mechanics are way to fast for my taste; but I can certainly live live with them

- Airplanes so far have been a non issue, I always crash dive as soon as one is spotted and they have never spotted me underwater

thanks again
kstanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 01:52 PM   #3690
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Some of your findings must be due to your play style more than anything else.
The planes for example it all depends on if you TC or not it is very possible that you dove but still got spotted by a plane but the DCs missed by a mile if you where TCing while you where under you would never even know.Also when you dive has an effect like on sight of SD radar or on sight of a spotter.Even if I dive pretty fast on a sighting via SD I would say about 1 in 6 planes will still see you on the way down or even at 150 ft plus or spot your wake and drop on you this is why I stay at ahead flank until at assigned depth when crash diving.Some players have been hit at depths of 200ft or more by planes.Personally I have never been hit or destroyed by an aircraft in TMO which I have been playing since 2008 I have had some close calls though other players get killed by aircraft regularly.Again this is probably due to play style or maybe I am just lucky I spend 90% of my time on the surface as well.

You might have one patrol where only a few mk.14s might dud then you will have a patrol where almost every flipping one fails also the date has an effect as well mid 43 up and you will not have so many duds.It says that some things where changed on the dud avoidance for mk14s so that they have more effect.The difficulty level seems about the same to me.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote