SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-12, 07:45 PM   #1111
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Anyone played pure dual wielder? Decided to make one, but kinda struggling
with it. Most fights I can win no problem, but at times there's just not enough
damage I can deal to beat the bastard.
I've toyed around with dual wielding swords but only after I got to a pretty decent level and Ulfric had given me two enchanted Daedric swords in the course of playing out the Civil War quests for the Stormcloaks. Those were what I used and it was pretty awesome.

Those swords are in display cases now in Hjerim but I still carry two Daedric swords just for gits and shiggles. I still duel wield them sometimes but I made myself a Daedric Warhammer and I've mostly been using that for melee lately. It's pretty much a one hit, one kill weapon at this point against lower level attackers. There have also been a couple of decapitations with it which I wasn't expecting since I thought that only happened with bladed weapons.

I must say that with this character I've probably done more killing with the bow than anything else, especially creeping around in dungeons. I made more use of sneaking early on as well which got me pretty proficient at that, and combined with the Muffle enchantment on my boots - my bow has become pretty deadly. There have been a few dungeons where I never used anything but that and maybe a shout or two when pressed until I got to the final battle and there were two many attackers at once to take them all out from a safe distance. (And heaven knows that is a blessing when it comes to Falmer, I do *not* like to get up close and personal with them if I can help it. They give me the creeps. I don't even like going back into Dwemer ruins that I know I've just cleared, because the hissing from all the steam-powered stuff is a sound I've come to associate with Falmer and that alone is enough to give me the willies.)

Having a combat mage for a follower also helps a lot since even with 2-3 attackers it's not uncommon for us to take them all out from a distance before they can do enough damage to make charging into the fray for a quicker kill a dire necessity.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 08:16 PM   #1112
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Anyone played pure dual wielder? Decided to make one, but kinda struggling
with it. Most fights I can win no problem, but at times there's just not enough
damage I can deal to beat the bastard.
Hmm.. I played dual wield on my assassin class character. What I'd do is hit something with my bow (enchanted with fire frost almost always and with a poison to have a weakness to frost). From there I'd rush in and with one fire and one frost weapon beat the crap out of them. The trick with Duel-Wielding I found was that you should always enchant with two separate enchants, preferable with at least one frost or shock as it drains stamina/magic respectively. Other then that, use stealth to your advantage. It's hard to tank and duel-wield at the same time so you have to make your hits quick and fast and then get out.

Also, make use of followers with a good set of armor. That way your enemies focus on him while you circle back and slash at their back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post

Having a combat mage for a follower also helps a lot since even with 2-3 attackers it's not uncommon for us to take them all out from a distance before they can do enough damage to make charging into the fray for a quicker kill a dire necessity.
Best setup for followers I've found so far is Max out Conjuration and get the spell Dead Thrall, revive a two necromancers (requires the perk that allows two followers) as well as get a follower that is a mage. (I haven't tried adding a dog into this mix a well, but it might work also). From there, when ever you get into combat, your two necromancers (or summoners if you're lucky, I haven't gotten any) will raise two undead. So that is now 2 undead, 2 necromancers you and your follower... against what ever your facing.

Nothing ever lasts long against me in this setup
Old 02-15-12, 09:50 PM   #1113
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
Best setup for followers I've found so far is Max out Conjuration and get the spell Dead Thrall, revive a two necromancers (requires the perk that allows two followers) as well as get a follower that is a mage. (I haven't tried adding a dog into this mix a well, but it might work also). From there, when ever you get into combat, your two necromancers (or summoners if you're lucky, I haven't gotten any) will raise two undead. So that is now 2 undead, 2 necromancers you and your follower... against what ever your facing.

Nothing ever lasts long against me in this setup
Magic will likely be the next tactic I explore and experiment with. I've already taken to buying up spellbooks - as opposed to just using whichever ones I find as loot - if only because it gives the vendors more coin with which to purchase whatever I'm trying to sell them. But, the more spells I have the more I can use here and there to up my skills. I don't see myself going full mage any time soon, but with the very real possibility that some boss draugr will disarm me with a shout, I'd like to have some decent magic to fall back on.

I'm already taking perks in Alteration (using Transmute regularly for crafting purposes has really helped me there) because I want to get to those Magic Resistance perks as quickly as possible. And it's likely that if I keep playing this character, physical combat is going to become a little too run-of-the-mill after a while. As Tak implied above, there's a point where even that can become overpowered if you have a combo of high damage enchanted weapons and high combat skills (not to mention high-level enchanted armor and assorted add-ons that let you take a lot of hits without getting in the danger zone where your Health is concerned). If it starts to feel that way for me I want the option of falling back on magic for a change and a challenge, but without the drawback of being so completely unskilled that I'm facing level 60 bosses with Magic skills that are woefully inadequate.
Old 02-15-12, 09:56 PM   #1114
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Magic will likely be the next tactic I explore and experiment with. I've already taken to buying up spellbooks - as opposed to just using whichever ones I find as loot - if only because it gives the vendors more coin with which to purchase whatever I'm trying to sell them. But, the more spells I have the more I can use here and there to up my skills. I don't see myself going full mage any time soon, but with the very real possibility that some boss draugr will disarm me with a shout, I'd like to have some decent magic to fall back on.

I'm already taking perks in Alteration (using Transmute regularly for crafting purposes has really helped me there) because I want to get to those Magic Resistance perks as quickly as possible. And it's likely that if I keep playing this character, physical combat is going to become a little too run-of-the-mill after a while. As Tak implied above, there's a point where even that can become overpowered if you have a combo of high damage enchanted weapons and high combat skills (not to mention high-level enchanted armor and assorted add-ons that let you take a lot of hits without getting in the danger zone where your Health is concerned). If it starts to feel that way for me I want the option of falling back on magic for a change and a challenge, but without the drawback of being so completely unskilled that I'm facing level 60 bosses with Magic skills that are woefully inadequate.
Aye, for one of my characters where it has started to feel a little too easy, my only "armor" is a mages hood, a belted tunic with no enchantment and boots which amounts to 0 armor. Works fairly nicely to keep me on my toes
Old 02-15-12, 11:21 PM   #1115
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Me, stylin' in my new gear...

Old 02-16-12, 12:56 AM   #1116
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Space?
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 01:15 AM   #1117
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38

Looks like you gutted my buddy to wear on your head...
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 08:15 AM   #1118
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Looks like you gutted my buddy to wear on your head...
Nope, but he helped.

You just need your buddy, access to the Atronach Forge, and the right items to put in the offering box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkirion
Space?
SPAAAAAAAACE!!!!!

Edit: I have to say I thought the little guy was gonna get annoying really fast but I find him quite amusing. It helps that I placed him on a shelf in my hideout so it's not like I'm listening to him *all* the time. But when I go in there to hang out and sort loot and craft and whatnot, I can hear him talking from his spot as I'm wandering around working.

It's especially funny when I walk by him and he starts with the "Lady hey lady hey lady" bit. At first I thought they'd actually worked it so that he was recognizing the sex of my particular character, but from what I've read the "hey lady" was already part of his established repertoire so I guess it's just a funny coincidence.

Last edited by frau kaleun; 02-16-12 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-16-12, 01:15 PM   #1119
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Old 02-16-12, 02:38 PM   #1120
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Muahaha...

Highly useful to get one of these...

...and then being forced to download the whole game via Steam
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 03:01 PM   #1121
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Then you're doing something wrong

HunterICX
Old 02-16-12, 03:11 PM   #1122
Fincuan
Admiral

All I did was insert the DVD, and BANG, Steam took over. Never saw anything pointing to a local installation.

edit: I remember practically the same thing happening with HL2. Back then I actually managed to install it locally first, but upon activating it on Steam the whole game was re-downloaded and re-installed.
Old 02-16-12, 03:22 PM   #1123
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

@Fin http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1318656&mpage=1

----------

Frau?

Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 03:31 PM   #1124
Fincuan
Admiral

Thanks Dowly. I already saw that but decided it's easier to just let it download and enjoy a few beers while waiting. Won't take too long either way
Old 02-16-12, 03:31 PM   #1125
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Frau?

Blame it on the Forsworn... they like big butts, and they cannot lie.