SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-19, 08:35 PM   #8011
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Nope, the renown award is just fine!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 06:35 AM   #8012
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Did you have an really bad patrols torpedobait, where you didn't sink anything, and had a lot of damage on your boat? Or were all of your patrols "productive", maybe not stellar, but you sank at least two or three each time out? Thanks
All of the patrols (six total) were "productive" with all objectives met and tonnage acquired on each:
Patrol 1: Tonnage 8,839 (1 ship-modern troop transport) received "Objective met" check mark
Patrol 2: Tonnage 31,880 (7 ships) - Award given
Patrol 3: Tonnage 38.791 (12 ships, incl. 4 lg. sampans) - Award given
Patrol 4: Tonnage 37,450 (4 ships, incl. 2 Aux CAs) - Award and Promotion
Patrol 5: Tonnage 13,108 (6 warships off Cape Esperance) - Award given
Patrol 6: Tonnage 64,000 (2 ISO BB's off Savo Island) - No Award; offer to transfer to Annapolis
2nd try by refusing offer resulted in a transfer to Aleutians.

EDIT: Also it reduced my renown to 50! Don't remember what it was before - I spent most of what I earned on upgraded crew, since there were no equipment offers. I do not recall receiving any damage to my boat. Might have, just don't remember and don't have an appropriate save, but I tend to avoid situations in an S Boat that I might be more aggressive on in a faster, deeper diving, better armed boat.

It was weird not getting a boat upgrade offer, and the only equipment offer took away the deck gun crew slots. All six showed Objective met check mark.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 04-07-19 at 10:38 AM.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 07:17 AM   #8013
Zunaka
Swabbie

Downloads: 101

Hey another question, do ship mods that add more ships to the game work with FOTRS Ultimate? If not are there any that will?

By the way thanks for the welcome!
Zunaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 08:13 AM   #8014
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
All of the patrols (six total) were "productive" with all objectives met and tonnage acquired on each:
Patrol 1: Tonnage 8,839 (1 ship-modern troop transport) received "Objective met" check mark
Patrol 6: Tonnage 64,000 (2 ISO BB's off Savo Island) - No Award; offer to transfer to Annapolis

EDIT: Also it reduced my renown to 50! Don't remember what it was before - I spent most of what I earned on upgraded crew, since there were no equipment offers.

It was weird not getting a boat upgrade offer, and the only equipment offer took away the deck gun crew slots. All six showed Objective met check mark.
Don't expect to get a new boat as you did before. You chose to use the sub you started with (at the time the Career was picked), that's your boat. You'll get new boats as required, but not at the rate that has been thought of as "normal".

It's not normal to have received 4 new subs in a Year!! Yet, you guys have stated that's what you're doing...…...not with Ultimate anymore.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 08:17 AM   #8015
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaka View Post
Hey another question, do ship mods that add more ships to the game work with FOTRS Ultimate? If not are there any that will?

By the way thanks for the welcome!
Ultimate has more ship models than any other mod......there's no mod that's going to add anything that Ultimate doesn't already have AND, these models work!

Don't add a mod that's not compatible with Ultimate.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 09:37 AM   #8016
Zunaka
Swabbie

Downloads: 101

Alright thanks!
Zunaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 11:16 AM   #8017
propbeanie

Quote:

EDIT: Also it reduced my renown to 50! Don't remember what it was before - I spent most of what I earned on upgraded crew, since there were no equipment offers. I do not recall receiving any damage to my boat. Might have, just don't remember and don't have an appropriate save, but I tend to avoid situations in an S Boat that I might be more aggressive on in a faster, deeper diving, better armed boat.

The Orange line I highlighted above is what "killed" your career. Refer back to that Ducimus posting about the Patrol Rating formula. The earlier and worse a patrol is, the more difficult it is to recover from that first rating of basically "zero", or a "Poor" rating. It unfortunately whacks the rest of what you attempt to do, just with the division in the game dev's "math". It also makes it difficult, as I've found, to do the Alaskan Campaign, because I have the patrols starting in March / April 1942 with "shakedown cruises", which have very low-scoring patrols, which end up basically resulting in a "Poor" performance, unless you happen upon an IJN JyunsenB launching their scout planes to reconnoiter Ductch Harbor and / or Kodiak. If you would have had that first patrol you had fifth, you would most likely have had a better Patrol Rating score, more renown, and instead of having to pay renown to stay on a boat, or be basically "retired" by going to sub school instructor, you would have been promoted at the least. I'm trying to do the math of it all for varying circumstances, and I have a couple of ideas for first patrols from all bases. Testing is involved, and I usually get distracted when "testing"... - but we don't want any player having a "Poor" first mission due to the circumstances of the game and its scoring system, unless they elect to just not follow orders. One way of doing it is easy, but a very broad brush stroke, while the other way is more involved, but better in the long run - if it works...

btw, merc4ulfate mentioned that it cost him at least 1200 renown points to "buy" his return to a boat, so figure you had at least that much + the 50 you had left...

Old 04-07-19, 11:22 AM   #8018
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

Quote:
Missing deck gun crew slots is SH4 issue, not FOTRS.

Downloaded this from forums. It works. Try:

"After digging around I have found a really simple method to fix the problem of the deck gun crew slots disappearing.

Simply open the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file in a text editor, and remove all instances of "AdditionalRepository". I was able to do this with 1 easy find and replace command. The file can be found in the SH4 folder in your documents. ../SH4/data/cfg/SaveGames/*/ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc

What you are doing is changing the lines like:
[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 9.CrewMemberSlotAdditionalRepository 1]
to read.....
[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 9.CrewMemberSlot 1];[m] max range to contact"

TMO resolved issue by giving all boats a front or rear gun with no option to change. Do not know if these moders can fix.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 01:46 PM   #8019
granite00
Torpedoman

Downloads: 162

How do you explain no award for torpedobait's sixth patrol?
Old 04-07-19, 02:31 PM   #8020
propbeanie

Quote:
The Orange line I highlighted above is what "killed" your career. Refer back to that Ducimus posting about the Patrol Rating formula. The earlier and worse a patrol is, the more difficult it is to recover from that first rating of basically "zero", or a "Poor" rating. It unfortunately whacks the rest of what you attempt to do, just with the division in the game dev's "math". It also makes it difficult, as I've found, to do the Alaskan Campaign, because I have the patrols starting in March / April 1942 with "shakedown cruises", which have very low-scoring patrols, which end up basically resulting in a "Poor" performance, unless you happen upon an IJN JyunsenB launching their scout planes to reconnoiter Ductch Harbor and / or Kodiak. If you would have had that first patrol you had fifth, you would most likely have had a better Patrol Rating score, more renown, and instead of having to pay renown to stay on a boat, or be basically "retired" by going to sub school instructor, you would have been promoted at the least. I'm trying to do the math of it all for varying circumstances, and I have a couple of ideas for first patrols from all bases. Testing is involved, and I usually get distracted when "testing"... - but we don't want any player having a "Poor" first mission due to the circumstances of the game and its scoring system, unless they elect to just not follow orders. One way of doing it is easy, but a very broad brush stroke, while the other way is more involved, but better in the long run - if it works...

btw, merc4ulfate mentioned that it cost him at least 1200 renown points to "buy" his return to a boat, so figure you had at least that much + the 50 you had left...
What I said... The math. A Poor first patrol basically is worse than no first patrol - if you swap the first mission with even the third, the math comes out differently, with a higher Patrol Rating score. We're batting ideas around now...

Last edited by propbeanie; 04-07-19 at 03:25 PM. Reason: ... turn that around...
Old 04-08-19, 06:59 AM   #8021
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Don't expect to get a new boat as you did before. You chose to use the sub you started with (at the time the Career was picked), that's your boat. You'll get new boats as required, but not at the rate that has been thought of as "normal".

It's not normal to have received 4 new subs in a Year!! Yet, you guys have stated that's what you're doing...…...not with Ultimate anymore.
Ok, thanks for the update. I did get used to a new boat every 3 successful patrols or so. Guess we were spoiled.

Old 04-08-19, 07:03 AM   #8022
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post

"After digging around I have found a really simple method to fix the problem of the deck gun crew slots disappearing.

Simply open the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file in a text editor, and remove all instances of "AdditionalRepository". I was able to do this with 1 easy find and replace command. The file can be found in the SH4 folder in your documents. ../SH4/data/cfg/SaveGames/*/ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc

to read.....

TMO resolved issue by giving all boats a front or rear gun with no option to change. Do not know if these moders can fix.
Thanks. I remember seeing that some time ago too, but (I know, I know) assumed that it was fixed in FOTRSU. hee, hee!

Old 04-08-19, 01:55 PM   #8023
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

USS Trout (Tambor) April 22nd. 1943 02:00 hrs. Sonar reports contact at 130 deg 43 min E, 1 deg 57 min N. Free camera shows me a lone Whale Factory Ship. Unusual but maybe not completely implausible. Dark night, but not pitch black. Wind 4 mps. Sonar insists this sound contact is a warship. I can see it very clearly through UZO and periscope while my deck watch continues to report no visual contact until the ship will stay locked with the L key. First L key lock and visual contact reported at 16,404 feet. I could see it quite clearly myself at 28,000 feet away. Surface Improved SJ-1 Radar never did show it on the scope. This despite pretty calm seas and using free camera position and zoom to show both my radar dish and the ship in the same view. Yes radar was on. Thoughts?

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 05:05 PM   #8024
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post

to read.....

I am not familiar with the crew upc stuff, so cannot comment on the validity of doing the above. We'll have to await CapnScurvy to comment on what might be impacted by such a change. Some guns take one crewman (50 cal), while others take 2 (20 & 40mm). Are you sure you aren't messing with that?

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the update. I did get used to a new boat every 3 successful patrols or so. Guess we were spoiled.
That was part of the problem. The game was giving the player too much renown, and then it would reach into the "inactive" well and reward you with a new submarine (Balao or Tench) entirely too early. We at first attempted submarine upc file control and got run over by the game. Next we tried mission assignment control, and again, got run over by the game, so then we added missions for the boats coming early, and the game run us over ~again~, giving the boats even earlier than before. So we opened-up the dates on the boats completely, and made it worse... There is no pleasing the game with normal "methods", so some aspects of the game have been turned down to slow down the scoring. The game pays attention to that... The only bad part of this, is those first missions, which appears to have been solved, but does involve more work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
USS Trout (Tambor) April 22nd. 1943 02:00 hrs. Sonar reports contact at 130 deg 43 min E, 1 deg 57 min N. Free camera shows me a lone Whale Factory Ship. Unusual but maybe not completely implausible. Dark night, but not pitch black. Wind 4 mps. Sonar insists this sound contact is a warship. I can see it very clearly through UZO and periscope while my deck watch continues to report no visual contact until the ship will stay locked with the L key. First L key lock and visual contact reported at 16,404 feet. I could see it quite clearly myself at 28,000 feet away. Surface Improved SJ-1 Radar never did show it on the scope. This despite pretty calm seas and using free camera position and zoom to show both my radar dish and the ship in the same view. Yes radar was on. Thoughts?
The Whale Factory ships were turned into tankers, so if it's loaded, it should eventually ignite after a couple-three hits - with detonations, of course. As to it not showing on radar, that might be addressed in the next release. There were further adjustments made to the AI. We'll have to wait for CapnScurvy to confirm or deny whether it and / or the visual were adjusted for that. I'll look at the obvious, but my skill level is minimal...

Old 04-08-19, 05:38 PM   #8025
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

Quote:
I am not familiar with the crew upc stuff, so cannot comment on the validity of doing the above. We'll have to await CapnScurvy to comment on what might be impacted by such a change. Some guns take one crewman (50 cal), while others take 2 (20 & 40mm). Are you sure you aren't messing with that?
In stock and RFB, if you change the location of gun in an existing boat, the crew spaces on the crew roster vanish and never reappear, which means you cannot man the gun. If crewmen were in those spaces, they vanish, too.

Even if you are given a new boat, the option to change the location of the gun does not appear, until after the game has been saved and reloaded. At that point, it is an existing boat and the change causes the crew spaces to vanish.

In the case of TMO, they just put all the guns in one spot, the front on most boats and do not allow the player to move the gun. This is a work around.

"Simply open the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file in a text editor, and remove all instances of "AdditionalRepository". I was able to do this with 1 easy find and replace command. The file can be found in the SH4 folder in your documents. ../SH4/data/cfg/SaveGames/*/ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc "

This bit causes the crew spaces to reappear. So, you change the location of the gun, say from rear to front and the save the game. Exit the game and open the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file and delete all occurrences of "AdditionalRepository".

As I am a bit paranoid, I do this in all saved games and files in the UPCInital sub-folder within the SH4 folder, just to make certain the game does not change it back.

No harm in such, as I am in there all the time, changing the faces, voices and uniforms of the crewmen to suit my tastes.

I do not know the access that the scurvy captain has to these files (at design time) and if he can modify these saved files in a way to correct this bug or no.

If the movement of the gun is automatic. he might be able to make two classes of boat instead of one and offer the latter as a boat upgrade. But, I don't know.

Last edited by Michael Wood; 04-08-19 at 05:53 PM.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote