SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-29-10, 01:47 AM   #46
StarLion45
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0
Simple

Hi everyone

I've seen a lot of people having trouble with Win7 and Sh3
I had it too , StarForce , ProgramFiles ( if installed the Sh3 in this directory) and more .

I came over a post from Thaum and suddently my problems solved
And now my Sh3 runs like a charm , smooth , to be honest , I don't see any thing with the game , no problems at all . I have installed :

* Sh3 + patch 1.v4b
* GWX3.0 GOLD
* SH3Cmdr3.2
* the newest JSGME + several mods

Be sure to follow EXACTLY what's been written in the post .

My personal thanks goes to Thaum

Here it is :

" Ok, I've got it running through the following steps. Perhaps it might help anyone else with problems in windows7:

1. Remove sf from previous installation with the official removal tool.

2. Re-install sh3 but do not run it yet.

3. patch it to 1.4b (run as administrator otherwise it won't work)

4. My version of sh3 came with sf, so I ran the crack, as posted above in this thread.

5. Change the desktop resolution to 1024 x 768.

6. run sh3 without the Cd in the tray.

7. go to options and de-select full screen so it will run sh3 in its own window. Exit sh3

8. Change desktop back to my original resolution.

9. Install Grey Wolves.

sh3/grey wolves now runs but in its own small window which I have to squint at, but it's better than nothing.

The alternative is to change my desktop resolution to 1024 x768 everytime I want to run sh3/grey wolves in full screen mode.

Thanks everyone.

I should of course add that I do not advocate using cd cracks etc. I bought sh3 when it first came out and consider myself to be an honest customer. The above simply enables me to continue enjoying the sim, and I'll be queueing up to buy sh5 when it's released ".

Thaum

GOOD LUCK everyone

StarLion45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 03:24 AM   #47
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

I finally found A way of making SH3 run with GWX3 on my PC. I was seeing a blank screen when loading but hearing the menu music once the invisible load screen had finished.

What I did was install it without SF, install the patches 1.3 and 1.4 then install the NoCD crack.
I then went into my nvidia Control Panel and let SH3 use the default AA settings rather than setting 2x or 4x or any other AA setting.

This seems to let it run. Only problem is lots of ugly jaggies around the edges of all the 3D objects.

Ah well at least it is running if not prettily. Givne I'm a graphics whoore I'm not sure how long I can put up with it.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 07:43 AM   #48
Panser
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 43

Greytop, the issue could be the high-res fix. A lot of the problems people seem to be having with Win7 seem to be related to game and/or native desktop resolution. The game works fine on both my x64 machines, but the high-res fixes make it very unstable and prone to crashing. If I play without them, the game is solid as a rock.

Panser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 08:53 PM   #49
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

I just set the game to be full screen at 1680 x 1050 in main.cfg not using the res-fix and it still runs in 1024x768 not the res set in the main.cfg. I can get the game to run in 1680x1050 with the hi-res fix installed.

Last edited by TarJak; 02-01-10 at 05:07 PM.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 05:06 AM   #50
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

I can confirm that I have experienced no difficulties with installing SH3 on a brand-new computer with Windows-7 (64 bit).

I started by buying one of the cheap new CD editions of SH3 which lacks Starforce, and is pre-patched with 1.4b. It cost only £3 from Amazon UK (+ extra for shipping).

Run the set-up program on the CD. Then change the default installation path:
from C:\program files\ubisoft\silent hunter iii\
to C:\ubisoft\silent hunter iii\

Avoid registering for 'Game Shadow', and exit afterwards from the default setup program with 'Finish' - do NOT attempt to run the program.

Now go to Uncle Neal's sticky at the head of this forum to download the authorised patches which make the program run without need for the CD, and install them as described.

The game now runs without difficulty (test at this stage, before loading any mods).

I can confirm that the NYGM mod runs perfectly, after subsequent installation with JSGME.

One issue with SH3, as others have observed, is that of screen size. The program always defaults to 1024x768.
My new monitor, like so many today, is 20-inch with default resolution 1600x900.
If you run SH3 as supplied, you get really a rather good, slightly stretched, full-screen display. I like it, although the dials are shaped more like oranges/apples than circles.
If you change the computer display screen resolution first to 1024x768, you get much the same result.
In either case, use the monitor's 'auto-size' (or auto-fit) button to get all the display on screen, to prevent it trying to overflow to the left and right. (Or adjust the screen manually, with the monitor's own control.)

Rubini's 'wide-screen' mod caused an instant crash when installed with JSGME. There have been previous reports that it functions only with Nvidia cards/drivers; my new computer has an ATI-Radeon card.

Other issues, I hope of general interest for those considering Window-7 (64-bit):
I found that older software (five years or more) tends not to function. A particular problem is that often the set-up software itself is the problem, and you can salvage some old programs working on an XP computer simply by moving their folders into the equivalent position in Windows-7. However, this assumes all drivers and data needed are in the original single folder, which is not always the case.
Older hardware can also be a problem. Microsoft's own web-site has an excellent series of web-pages showing hardware (old and new) which is certified to run with Windows 7 32-bit and with 64-bit.
Another problem with modern computers, unrelated to Windows-7: They all seem to have USB slots for your mouse. If you want to use a trackball, you seem to need a PS/2 slot. I found that a PS/2-USB adaptor, with manufacturer's latest driver software, failed to register my Logitech trackball with the computer. Others have reported similar difficulties.

Stiebler.

[Isn't it about time that one of these WIN-7 threads was stickied, to go alongside the similar thread for Vista?]
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 10:20 AM   #51
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Stickied a specific thread with links to this and the Vista thread in themain page. Thanks for the good idea Stiebler
Old 02-24-10, 04:54 PM   #52
HansVonBeehan
Torpedoman

Downloads: 76

thanks for the help

Cmdr. Mike Beehan

Leutnant z. S. Hans von Beehan IC2,IC1,GC,KCOSDG
Commander U-181, Type IXD2
1st Flotilla, Brest.
HansVonBeehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 04:51 AM   #53
HansVonBeehan
Torpedoman

Downloads: 76

OK I've got SH3 installed. on
windows 7 64bit

Problem

Error comes up!

Reads "This Application can be launched with a realse version of Microsoft Windows 95/OSR2.1/98/ME/NT4.0/2000/XP/Server 2000 only"

How can I fix this?

windows 7 64bit

Cmdr. Mike Beehan

Leutnant z. S. Hans von Beehan IC2,IC1,GC,KCOSDG
Commander U-181, Type IXD2
1st Flotilla, Brest.
HansVonBeehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 05:29 AM   #54
Panser
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 43

Run it under compatibility mode for Windows XP with SP3.

Find sh3.exe, right click on it, choose properties, compatibility tab then put a tick in the "Run this porogram in compatibility mode", selecting WinXP SP3 as the option.

Panser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 11:44 AM   #55
HKLE
Bosun

Downloads: 90
Default error with 3d engine not starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLord View Post
Seems to be an ATI thing...
Hi guys

No its not an ATI thing only.

I have a running copy of SH3 + GWX 3.0. on a Windows 7 32bit system and I got this error suddenly, when I decided to update my graphics drivers.

I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 card in my rig.

When i first installed Windows 7 (32 bit), Windows provided me with some graphics driver on its own.

SH3 worked fine

Yesterday I tried NVIDIAS version 196.21 for WIN Vista and WIN7 and immediately got this error with SH3 not starting (3d engine not running - or similar)

I got rid of this driver again and let Windows 7 again look for it via Windows update (as I had done during the original setup of Windows 7) and now it works again.

Hope this helps some folks here.
HKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 07:17 AM   #56
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

FWIW I had a very painless experience installing SH3 on my new Windows 7 64-bit rig today.

I started by buying the current UK budget release of SH3; the one released through Focus. Cost less than 5 quid. Having no Starforce and already being patched to v1.4b takes most of the hassle out straight away!

Anyway, I installed SH3 outside of the Program files folder, to "E:\Games\SilentHunterIII". I did *not* install Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 or the Windows 9 Media codecs. Nor did I install Gameshadow.

I took the disc out of the drive then ran the game once to create the data files.

Then straight on to installing GWX3 over the top.

Effortless.

And despite having an ATI video card I don't have the stretched screen problem either. As ATI card owners know, there's no software setting for forcing scaled aspect ratio. Fortunately, however, my Samsumg 2443BW+ monitor has a hardware setting that does. So on it went, and now all my 4:3 games play at 4:3, and rescaled to the height of my computer. Much better than oval circles.

Last edited by JScones; 03-07-10 at 07:34 AM.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 08:39 AM   #57
Pappy55
Engineer

Downloads: 173

Strange..

I have had no problem installing and running SH3 (retail) on Windows 7 64bit

I installed as normal to my 2nd hard drive
Applied the 1.4b patch
applied the co cd fix
used the starforce removal tool
installed GWX 3.0

and it works a charm.

I have also added 16xAA and 16xAF useing nhancer and it looks nice. just need the high res fix now
Old 03-08-10, 06:32 PM   #58
Easy Tiger
Watch

Downloads: 9

-- possible nvidia fix below --

Hey Guys,

I just installed SH3 from Steam - it only cost £5 - to try it since I've only played SH4.

I was disappointed to find it wouldn't start, giving the same 'can't initialize 3d' error. As previously mentioned, this is because of incompatible refresh rates. My monitor (Dell 2407 24", native res 1920 x 1200) however just would NOT switch from 59 to 60 Hertz, due to an acknowledged Windows 7 bug.

After much searching online I found a way to FORCE the monitor to 60Hertz, which I will copy and paste below.

-------

THIS IS A SOLUTION FOR NVIDIA CARDS, AND IT WORKS GREAT.
- Go to Nvidia Control Panel
- Go to Add resolution
- Create Custom Resolution
- Click on Timing
- Click on Manual
- Set refresh rate to 60.001 Hz
- Press Apply, and Have funnnn

-------

This totally worked for me, and SH3 launches now from my native res of (1900x1200) with no errors. The game however doesn't run at this resolution but at least it runs
Easy Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 08:13 PM   #59
U-95
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Here's my trouble with SH4 (and SH3, to avoid to open a new post). I've taken it from the Ubi's support forum where I posted it and haven't obtained replies except suggesting to reinstall DirectX9:

I installed both SH3 and SH4 in my computer (specs below). At first, they ran fine and with no trouble, even after adding to SH3 the GWX Gold expansion.
I didn't played them very much (lack of time), and just a few minutes ago, when I decided to play SH3 the game simply put does not start; both intro videos load, but the loading screen does not appear. I tried uninstalling SH3 and reinstalling it -without GWX-, but you can just hear music; nothing can be seen on screen.
I tried SH4 -it's unmodded, and has not installed the U-Boat Missions expansion-, and the same thing occurs; just music and nothing on screen (but the game seems to be working). Also, attempting to unistall it -to reinstall- gives this error message:

Error Code: -5006 : 0x80070003
Error Information:
>SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (841)
PAPP:Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific
PVENDOR:Ubisoft (http://www.Ubisoft.com)
PGUID:0D005F09-A5F4-473B-A901-5735C6AF5628
$12.0.0.49985
@Windows (6000) BT_OTHER 0.0

A friend suggested me to swap windows (alt+tab), that worked for him with other games; for me, that does not work -at least, for SH3; in fact; after closing it with the left button on the taskbar, I get the message "Silent Hunter III ceased to work", or something alike.

What recently I've installed in my computer (and I can remind of) are Windows updates, Opera & Chrome navigators, the software&drivers for a HP scanner, and the StarOffice suite, stuff I doubt will be the cause of it.
Other games I own that I've tested (Battlestations Pacific and Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir) work properly.
Trying to reinstall DirectX9 as suggested on Ubi forums does not work.

Data on my system:

Computer: Toshiba Satellite A500-18Q.
Processor: Core2Duo P7450 @ 2.13 GHz.
RAM: 4 Gigabytes.
Graphic card: Nvidia GForce GT230M.
DirectX version:11.
U-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 06:34 AM   #60
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 316

THANK ALL OF YOU! I got it working! I followed Panser's tip and it works .

I tried to install this couple of months ago and did not get it working and I was so mad I threw the disc in the wall and it dropped behind my desk. Half an hour ago I picked it up and tried once more.

Towards the GWX!
Crécy is offline   Reply With Quote