Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-14-11, 03:09 PM   #526
Marco1971
Seaman

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0
Default set waypoints using real nav

When using real navigation and having fixed my position on the map, i guess it's not possible to plot a course using waypoints? Also meaning that 'return to course' can not be used?
I can imagine this would be too easy.
I ask just to be sure
Marco1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 03:28 AM   #527
Captain Farid
Watch

Downloads: 19

Hello guys.
After a 1 week,I completed Total Germany.
It's a very very very nice game.
Now I'm finishing Happy Times.I'm so happy.
wwoo hoooooo!!!!
Captain Farid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 11:04 AM   #528
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Mods in use,

OHII 1.4 by Zedi and his super human crew
IRAI 0.0.3: by TDW, amazing.
R.E.M by Xrundel and The Beast 1.2, brill

These mods have altered the game beyond the normal parameters of gaming. Taking on a convoy in may 1943 is now getting hairy.

But a tip, 3 out 4 it worked for me: when being hunter and depth charged, if you manage to get a good distance gap so at sinlent speed your out of there hearing range, try saving and restarting the game, they returned to the convoy duties, not every time, but enough.
Old 12-10-11, 12:33 PM   #529
57B
Swabbie

Downloads: 300
Default hey

hey gang
57B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 04:51 PM   #530
convoy hunter
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 103

Hey guys I am at happy times but I can't find any ships to complete the 200000 tonnage mission and the war supplies mission.
Convoys appear on the map but when I chase them they just disappear.
convoy hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-11, 06:03 PM   #531
Crusher
Nub

Downloads: 0

Hello everyone, I just bought Silent Hunter 5 and because it lacks a proper tutorial or manual I have no idea what I'm doing. I did learn some things from youtube videos but I still have some noob questions:

I'm on a mission to patrol at the south-west coast of england and intercept merchants, all good except that during the trip going there I come across so many enemy ships and I can't stay submerged forever so I waste all my torpedos even before arriving at the place.
2. I figured enemy ships are red (on the navigation map) which seems self-explenatory but now between england and france I come across a blue ship, is it a german ship or american or something? I'm locked into it and my guys say it's unknown.
3. On the navigation map I see multiple lines comming from my submarine, I presume they're boats, but what's the difference between black lines and blue lines?
4. How does the radar work, it says I have to listen for spikes in the sound, all I hear is static.
5. When I set my course but I come across an enemy and I use the rudder to evade it how do I get back to my set course? I seem to float in circles and the only way to get my sub to go to the set course is to redo the whole thing.
6. Is Kiel the only harbour I can dock during the first missions?

Last edited by Crusher; 12-18-11 at 07:03 PM.
Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-11, 08:37 PM   #532
SilentOtto12
Seaman

If I turn off the 'health bar' in the realism settings, does this mean after I fire two torpedoes, (if it has water damage) it will sink?
SilentOtto12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-11, 09:51 PM   #533
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOtto12 View Post
If I turn off the 'health bar' in the realism settings, does this mean after I fire two torpedoes, (if it has water damage) it will sink?
No, it just means it won't have that silly bar above the ship telling you how much "health" it has left.
Old 12-19-11, 12:22 PM   #534
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Hello everyone, I just bought Silent Hunter 5 and because it lacks a proper tutorial or manual I have no idea what I'm doing. I did learn some things from youtube videos but I still have some noob questions:

I'm on a mission to patrol at the south-west coast of england and intercept merchants, all good except that during the trip going there I come across so many enemy ships and I can't stay submerged forever so I waste all my torpedos even before arriving at the place.
Welcome to subsim Crusher

Sink em all

You can head back to any axis port and select refit - this will give you more ammo and fuel

Quote:
2. I figured enemy ships are red (on the navigation map) which seems self-explenatory but now between england and france I come across a blue ship, is it a german ship or american or something? I'm locked into it and my guys say it's unknown.

Blue is axis

Quote:
3. On the navigation map I see multiple lines comming from my submarine, I presume they're boats, but what's the difference between black lines and blue lines?

Black = merchants
Blue = warships

Quote:
4. How does the radar work, it says I have to listen for spikes in the sound, all I hear is static.

Im sure you mean hydro here as you will not get radar until later.
For hydro - have you patched your exe to make it work better

Quote:
5. When I set my course but I come across an enemy and I use the rudder to evade it how do I get back to my set course? I seem to float in circles and the only way to get my sub to go to the set course is to redo the whole thing.

You can use waypoints on the map to set where you want to go.
Then you can click return to course if you change your heading manually for any reason. (you must be patched to v1.2 for this to work - look top right of screen when in the main menu to see your version)

Quote:
6. Is Kiel the only harbour I can dock during the first missions?

Its the only one that you can end your patrol in - but you can refit in any other
Old 12-21-11, 08:57 AM   #535
Crusher
Nub

Can I only refit in blue harbours that are part of the german empire or also other blue harbours?

What's the best way to take down planes?

When I fast travel i'm constantly disturbed by planes so I mostly have to continiously press the time compression to get somewhere. Any way to tell my crew to ignore those damn planes?

What does "bearing" mean and how do I read coordinates?

During my time playing I've never had a premature explosion before untill I came across a huuuge merchant convoy with tons of warships (even american ones) so I figured i would change history a bit and sink some american warships but both of my torpedos exploded too soon. So then I tried to send a torpedo at a merchant and the same thing happend. It was rough weather but I never had that happen before. Is the game saying "no"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Im sure you mean hydro here as you will not get radar until later.
For hydro - have you patched your exe to make it work better

Didn't patch my exe but hydro seems to work fine. In the radioroom there is a radar sort of thing I think, it gives static and you can chage it between "sweep" or "focus".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
You can use waypoints on the map to set where you want to go.
Then you can click return to course if you change your heading manually for any reason. (you must be patched to v1.2 for this to work - look top right of screen when in the main menu to see your version)
I don't see any "return to course" button D:

Last edited by Crusher; 12-21-11 at 07:22 PM.
Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 05:55 AM   #536
Captain Farid
Watch

Default Action Stations Alarm

Hello!
When i order my XO to action stations,he won't call the alarm.
only when i order to crash dive XO calls the alarm.
is your game like my game?If it's not how to solve this problem.
Old 12-31-11, 07:54 AM   #537
hate4country
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3

Hey Guys newbie here, playing for bout a week now, on the Happy Times: Pride of the Royal Navy, ive sank the hood at the flow naval base and i cant for the life of me find a second captial ship to sink any ideas of where to look or find 1?
hate4country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 10:57 AM   #538
Vet1971
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 20
Default Casual Player ready to branch out

I've been playing 3,4,5 for a couple of years as stock versions. I'm ready to try some mods as soon as the Site allows me to download some. I have enjoyed using the site when unable to find or finish Missions and for Hints. Retiered and enjoying Life. Keep up the good works.
Vet1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 02:39 AM   #539
keith123456789
Swabbie

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartman View Post
My map and TAI zoom in randomly how do I zoom out again? I have not seen the key that does this unless it's the mouse wheel in which case I don't have one, use a track ball.
that is why its the track ball it is requiered you have a mouse wheel
keith123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 04:52 AM   #540
Captain Farid
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate4country View Post
Hey Guys newbie here, playing for bout a week now, on the Happy Times: Pride of the Royal Navy, ive sank the hood at the flow naval base and i cant for the life of me find a second captial ship to sink any ideas of where to look or find 1?
Hi hate4country
I have an idea and it worked for me.when you are patrolling the area if you see map contact (task force) go to front of task force exactly then go under water your sound guy will detect it.
good luck.

you-> O ------------> X <------------ task force