SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-16, 08:45 AM   #1156
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Guys, would you believe Max and cdsubron7 both wondered if they brought any skills that were worthwhile to the FOTRS Ultimate project? Holy cow, this stuff is amazing! Between these ships, incredible mission pack and the Capn's periscope work and his ground breaking sensor work, this mod will have the absolute finest of eye candy AND gameplay.

And to everybody! No deadlines here. We want things to work great well before we want them sooner. This is progressing faster than any major mod I've seen anyway.

So we have the ship naming project and propbeanie's sinking modules in early and late development before 0.2 Beta release here. We're getting close, guys.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 09:51 AM   #1157
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Max, FOTRS has two Hospital ships already in the game. Their both "neutral" as far as whose side are they on. You'll get a big hit in renown for sinking one.......going the wrong way.

Putting hospital markings on combat ships or unfriendly freighters/passenger ships is going to be confussing....not to mention un realistic. Even the Japs didn't stoop that low!!

Yes, real hospital ships were torpedoed, but it wasn't intentional! If you want to add to the already made Red Cross group, go ahead put the ships in there, but leave the other combative ships as they are.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 09:58 AM   #1158
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

I think I just hit paydirt. Check out the link below.

http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/id/oni20...hips/index.htm

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 10:33 AM   #1159
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I think I just hit paydirt. Check out the link below.

http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/id/oni20...hips/index.htm
That's what I'm talking about.....just one of many.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 10:49 AM   #1160
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Very cool beans there cdrsubron7! I think I've just lost another day to "research"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
... just one of many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Guys, would you believe Max and cdsubron7 both wondered if they brought any skills that were worthwhile to the FOTRS Ultimate project? Holy cow, this stuff is amazing! Between these ships, incredible mission pack and the Capn's periscope work and his ground breaking sensor work, this mod will have the absolute finest of eye candy AND gameplay...
Amen brother. I feel like a little pea in the garden among the Jolly Green Giants of Modding with you guys...

Quote:
... and propbeanie's sinking modules in early and late development ...
Say whuh?... - I think you've got my sound stuff mixed up with XTBilly - at least, I hope you do... - He's been having a tough row to hoe lately though...

As for the rest of the sound stuff, CapnScurvy is combining the ship sounds with my "Emulate Stock" of the add-on sound of FotRS v1.3 & v2 for inclusion in the next beta. I'm still going through the rest of the stock audio stuff (wav & ogg files), and even some other sound mods, "analyzing the data", and checking for the digital levels in the game. So far, no issues, so no changes. We do still have a "sometimes issue" that cdrsubron7 and I have experienced, but I cannot replicate it, so we may have to wait for "beta-user" input. It may not even be an audio issue at all, but rather a "trigger" issue in the radar... Hmmmm... just gave myself an idea...

Edit: again with the Rosanna Danna... "Never mind"... I was hoping to find something going awry with maybe Message_RA.cfg file in the Data/Cfg/ folder, but I can't find what uses it, or where it goes from there...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-10-16 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Rosanna Danna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 01:20 PM   #1161
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

OK, we have our first match.

Normally I'd put up a screenie from the game here, but since I'm at work I can't do that.

Whale Factory Ship

I'd like to update the tonnage also with this project.

Hey pb or max. I'm not familiar with the file structure on where to update these ships, could you possibly point me in the right direction? We should probably do this in JSGME form to begin with. The boss can add it to the core at a latter date.

Old 08-10-16, 02:20 PM   #1162
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Max, FOTRS has two Hospital ships already in the game. Their both "neutral" as far as whose side are they on. You'll get a big hit in renown for sinking one.......going the wrong way.

Putting hospital markings on combat ships or unfriendly freighters/passenger ships is going to be confussing....not to mention un realistic. Even the Japs didn't stoop that low!!

Yes, real hospital ships were torpedoed, but it wasn't intentional! If you want to add to the already made Red Cross group, go ahead put the ships in there, but leave the other combative ships as they are.
Yes, great idea. Then you don't have to do workarounds to get the big renown hit we want. It would be ultra-cool to have 4 separate ships in the Hospital Ship group.
Old 08-10-16, 02:25 PM   #1163
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Say whuh?... - I think you've got my sound stuff mixed up with XTBilly - at least, I hope you do... - He's been having a tough row to hoe lately though...
Oops. I meant Billy. Don't worry about timing Billy, we know you'll get to it when you can.

I'm loving the way things are coming together, Yes cdrsubron7, tonnages could be corrected. I think the game tends not to give enough tonnage for most but goes the other way too in some instances. It sure would be great to get it right.

People are going to have to change the way they play when they load FOTRS Ultimate.....
Old 08-10-16, 03:03 PM   #1164
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
@ cdrsubron7: any "advice" on the AI levels versus Single Mission "crew efficiency" (poor, competent, veteran, elite) on the specific ships? What I'm getting at is, what are we looking for, if anything? Just oddball behavior, ie: we don't want anything like PT-73, with Ensign Parker in charge, and just a bit daffy? We don't want 'em completely just wandering off?... I'm going to make me an SM with 4 or more DDs, each set to a different level, and see how they respond to a "cavitating" submarine at various depths... maybe even pop up top on a couple rounds... - this AI stuff also involves the Merchant fleets, correct? Since you're into the sim.cfg file, that effects airplanes too, correct... I hates mee aeroplanes-ez and destroyers-ez...

Not really, pb. I leave all my missions for crew efficiency set at veteran. When I asked for feedback I was basically just looking for your opinions on what you think of the mission and if any oddball things do crop up, please feel free to mention them, so they can be corrected if possible.

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 08-10-16 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 03:08 PM   #1165
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
I'm loving the way things are coming together, Yes cdrsubron7, tonnages could be corrected. I think the game tends not to give enough tonnage for most but goes the other way too in some instances. It sure would be great to get it right.

I'm showing my ignorance here a little bit here, but by changing things on the Japanese Merchantships, it will have no effect on say British, American or other countries ships, correct?

Old 08-10-16, 03:11 PM   #1166
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Just guessing here, but changing the merchant ship names and tonnages can be done the cfg ship filles, correct?

Old 08-10-16, 05:29 PM   #1167
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

If you change the name in the Ships cfg file?
Check the Names.cfg in Roster folder.
THEN check each Countries Roster Folders for that Unit.
It's also possible to whack Campaign files and such by a name change!
This is a prime reason I use 010 to do a search and replace.

Yep. Just verified if you rename the class it whacks the campaign files also.
Now the Search and replace in 010 will do it for you as it is.
But it will search through a lot of files if not set up right.
Make sure you tell it the file extensions!!

If you don't have 010 you can download a free 30 day trail version.
I highly recommend it!!

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 08-10-16 at 05:49 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 06:46 PM   #1168
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
If you change the name in the Ships cfg file?
Check the Names.cfg in Roster folder.
THEN check each Countries Roster Folders for that Unit.
It's also possible to whack Campaign files and such by a name change!
This is a prime reason I use 010 to do a search and replace.

Yep. Just verified if you rename the class it whacks the campaign files also.
Now the Search and replace in 010 will do it for you as it is.
But it will search through a lot of files if not set up right.
Make sure you tell it the file extensions!!

If you don't have 010 you can download a free 30 day trail version.
I highly recommend it!!
I appreciate the warning and the advice about the name changing affecting the campaign files.

How high is the learning curve for this 010 Hex Editor? I've never used something like this before.

Would the Hex Editor XV132 in the Subsim Downloads area work as well?

Old 08-10-16, 07:38 PM   #1169
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
I appreciate the warning and the advice about the name changing affecting the campaign files.

How high is the learning curve for this 010 Hex Editor? I've never used something like this before.

Would the Hex Editor XV132 in the Subsim Downloads area work as well?
No.
The free hex editor will not do the needed stuff.
I started with that and moved on to a better which is 010.
010 is much more then a hex editor!
Don't let that part of it fool you!

Now I will pay for one license for this project.
The good people at Sweetscape know I'm willing to do that and will switch whatever to see one of you get's the license.
I just need a final name to do this.
Old 08-10-16, 08:22 PM   #1170
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

From Page 73:
Quote:
300FOTRSUAI_Levels

This has been uploaded to our storage area. There are five levels as requested bu our fearless leader. A brief description is below. The levels go from highest to lowest.

Level 5 - This is the highest level, only for the bravest of the brave, I call it IUBL level. IUBL translates into Impossible Ultra Brutal Level. Try it at your own risk. Not for the faint of heart.

Level 4 - This represents the AI levels you would find in TMO v2.5 created by Ducimus. Just below Level 5.

Level 3 - This will be for FOTRSU. It's middle of the road, but you still can't relax for a minute.

Level 2 - This will represent the Stock Level. Shouldn't present any problems for you pros out there.

Level 1 - This level would be equivalent to TMOwtw. The sonar operators on the Japanese DDs seem to be deaf.

These levels are not written in stone and can be changed without much difficulty.

Neglected to say that this file is in JSGME format also.
OK cdrsubron7, I've been through #1, which is very easy, but I don't remember wTw being this easy... maybe it was. Good starting point for an LL beginner. #2 is a bit tougher, but if I can get away from a destroyer at 3200 and closing just by going deep and a slight rudder change... :wink: #3 is probably my sweet spot, but there's still some situations where the destroyers don't seem to know which way to turn. I have not found me any airplanes, so I guess I'm gonna have to make me an airplane mission... I'll do #4 and #5 tomorrow. I gotta quit for now. I know! - I'll take Maximum Effort out for a spin, or maybe Aleutians Gauntlet... but I do know there's planes in one of the KB missions... which one did I die early in??... Oh, that's right... ALL of them! - that reminds me, your IJN Oil mission doesn't have a "mission name" in the mission language settings parameters in the MIS file, so it's a "blank line" in the game's menu... Still works though. I *think* I got the right one...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote