SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-17, 11:13 AM   #4426
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Uploads: 0
Icon1 Report on a CTD

Hello Skippers,
I'm in a Porpoise submarine (USS Permit, SS-178) based out of Pearl Harbor on my third patrol with this sub. Yes, my last submarine at the bottom, sunk by a crafty DD skipper that I couldn't slip away from. The wind speed at zero didn't help me any either.

The date is May 1, 1942 at 01:21 hours; location is 127º 23'E, 29º 40'N. I'm patrolling inside a 10 nm circle around the objective star to destroy enemy shipping when sonar picks up a merchant, then two. Course is plotted to the east after target is determined to be traveling a southeast course, from north of my postion then CTD. This is after reloading from a save and have two more CTD before. First time, received a radio message of a convey travelling SSE at 7 knots close to the coordinates above. Not able to get a visual on targets and I don't have radar yet. On the second CTD, it happened without warning close to the time period.

I lowered the graphic settings from medium to low in the game settings after the first CTD. My fps never changed before the CTDs.

Will try again later but the lawn mower is calling me now.
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 11:56 AM   #4427
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Sounds like a bad spawn, or an errant ID on a vessel that isn't correct... I'll look there too... Good report, btw.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 01:17 PM   #4428
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Just a normal day at the office then Bubblehead, and I can strongly suggest that you don't want to duke it out with those aircraft boys either, two of them ended one of my earlier careers and I've kept away from them ever since.

I wonder if anything has been done to the fly boys of Japan, such as tone them down a bit, if that's a yes I might have another crack at them, if its a no I'll keep giving them the cold shoulder.

Haha will do that. I like aircraft being deadly, esp later war as they were effective, with MAD, improved weapons, radar etc as long as we dont have stock level numbers crazy spawning lol
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 01:21 PM   #4429
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I have a sound mod planned, basically a "plain" one, but with a "best of" approach. We have been finding more, other sound issues (there have been a few already), and are working at those as we speak (CapnScurvy, Jeff-Groves). We'll see what's left to do upon mod completion, but the interior was going to be my main target. But If you get between a couple of surface ships duking it out, it is ~very~ impressive hearing the shells traveling to and fro...

CapnScurvy worked those up. Looks great, but I still can't shoot down an airplane, no matter how hard I try. They always seem to hole my deck without too much effort though. Needless to say, SOP would be to hide anyway...

Another separate mod, most likely, unless there are a lot of user requests, because we've already overworked CapnScurvy with just about everything else. In fact, we may have to put CapnScurvy's name on the mod, alongside AOTD_MadMax's and Jeff-Groves (who's name will be flashing really big on the screen)... tic

I was already mangling it to conform with FotRSU... There are several things though that may not be "set" yet that would influence its completion. Including the extra "docks" are a goal of mine also, and starting over there is easy-peasy to set up, so long as it's done correctly, else you CTD the game ( - not that ~I've~ ever done that... ahem). Hopefully, not too much longer. If the current experiment works, we'd have to ask permission yet...

That is the usual... There are so many little nooks and crannies for the sensors to be altered, and the Capn (again... ) has been doing some ~real~ testing - I mean he strips the mod down to nothing ~but~ the sensor he's testing, and has some ideas, but we've distracted him all too often for other things... - in the meantime, if you want to do any mods for the game, you are more than welcome to. I would PM Rockin Robbins though, with your proposal(s), and see if he has any "special requests" for conformity to the "FotRSU ®© Standard of Quality (SOQ)"... ahem. Some mornings, I'm more full of it than normal...

Now, that shouldn't ought to be... we've done quite a bit of work around Pearl... Some good, some bad (apparently)... Do you happen to remember the date? What boat you had, and were you starting in the harbor, or out?...

Thank you much for your post, it helps us tune things in...

@Moonlight = Keep away from the birds... they bite, as you know... They really should have their "superman" status turned down a pinch also, but we haven't gotten to that yet. I could see them "holing" your boat every once in a while, doing some near-miss damage quite often, but to but a bomb down your conn hatch every drop is just an unbelievable accomplishment... - of course, you could always look at it from the other perspective... we're just ~that~ good at driving our boats, that we can get them into the path of a dropped object that often... I mean, it takes a LOT of twisting and turning, speeding up and slowing down, to do that...

Not a problem, glad my review was helpful. Again, I am very excited about FOTRS and look forward to he next update.

Far as shooting planes down, never dealt with planes in FORS but TMO planes are tough, probably downed two in all the years and it was under dire circumstances where we engaged them instead of diving.One I was actually manning the 40 MM bofors and downed an H8K. I ordered the Chief I had manning a 20 MM to open fire and he downed a Kate coming in at us.

Do love the AA shells are included.

What about the SV radar issue? Was that on purpose by the team or should Gato not be default equipped with such radar in early 1944.Some upgrade error in the files.
Old 04-06-17, 02:44 PM   #4430
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrywb57 View Post
Hello Skippers,
I'm in a Porpoise submarine (USS Permit, SS-178) based out of Pearl Harbor on my third patrol with this sub. Yes, my last submarine at the bottom, sunk by a crafty DD skipper that I couldn't slip away from. The wind speed at zero didn't help me any either.

The date is May 1, 1942 at 01:21 hours; location is 127º 23'E, 29º 40'N. I'm patrolling inside a 10 nm circle around the objective star to destroy enemy shipping when sonar picks up a merchant, then two. Course is plotted to the east after target is determined to be traveling a southeast course, from north of my postion then CTD. This is after reloading from a save and have two more CTD before. First time, received a radio message of a convey travelling SSE at 7 knots close to the coordinates above. Not able to get a visual on targets and I don't have radar yet. On the second CTD, it happened without warning close to the time period.

I lowered the graphic settings from medium to low in the game settings after the first CTD. My fps never changed before the CTDs.

Will try again later but the lawn mower is calling me now.
Great report! We're especially interested in how your machine plays FOTRSU with its dual core processor and 8400GS video card.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 02:44 PM   #4431
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
alongside AOTD_MadMax's and Jeff-Groves (who's name will be flashing really big on the screen)
Uhh. NO! Please don't do that!

I do what I do for fun, my own enjoyment, and to help others.
I asked Neal long ago to remove any awards I had as I just don't need/want things like that any longer.
I no longer hide behind an On-line name (Privateer) and use my real name for the same reasons.

My name is Jeff and I'm a Subsim junkie.
Old 04-06-17, 02:51 PM   #4432
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

We could flash Jeff-Groves black on a black background.......
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 02:54 PM   #4433
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

How about very small print in the list of credits?
Old 04-06-17, 03:08 PM   #4434
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1108
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
We could flash Jeff-Groves black on a black background.......

Hmmm how about an ship
Jeff-G Auxiliary Fleet Tender

or a mission?

The Jeff-Groves Express...
Old 04-06-17, 03:11 PM   #4435
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

How about you put the Privateer in the Game and we call it even?
Old 04-06-17, 03:33 PM   #4436
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17

And probably incorporate a certain Bathurst corvette model with a special all-black texture that represents HMAS Groves (Pennant J566) ...

Jeff, many thanks for all wisdom you shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
How about you put the Privateer in the Game and we call it even?
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 03:39 PM   #4437
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Ah yes!! The Bathurst!!

You know I did convert that to SH4. Just needs AO done.

And I'm always happy to help as much as I can.
Old 04-06-17, 03:59 PM   #4438
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
What about the SV radar issue? Was that on purpose by the team or should Gato not be default equipped with such radar in early 1944.Some upgrade error in the files.
I'm not sure about that, we'll see what CapnScurvy says about it - but we've been finding quite a few things in the Stock level of SH4 that have been broken for years, and we're just now finding them. It would not surprise me if they don't have a September 31st availability date causing the issue...

---------------------------

This is a ~GR-EAT~ page! I vote for Jeff-Groves' name flashing in black on a black screen, credit in extra-fine print, the PB4Y Privateer as a Pearl Harbor fly-over, with a blue trailing banner, with "Jeff-Groves for President" in matching blue, followed by a group of water-skiers standing on each others' shoulders, pulled by the Groves Bathurst, coming out of the sub pens and parading around the Harbor... Free balloons and candy for everyone!... Perhaps an Easter Egg hidden somewhere, with Jeff-Groves' high school graduation picture... no wait, we want folks coming back to play... nevermind

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 04-06-17 at 04:08 PM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 04:05 PM   #4439
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
I'm not sure about that, we'll see what CapnScurvy says about it - but we've been finding quite a few things in the Stock level of SH4 that have been broken for years, and we're just now finding them. It would not surprise me if they don't have a September 31st availability date causing the issue...

Likely the case.

Did I read somewhere you guys are working on AI subs that can fire torpedoes?

That would be a game changer. Always hated AI subs capable of attacking(US and Japanese) were not part of stock, its like them not opitmizing game for night surface attacks, leaving out important parts of the war.

Imagine the possibilities if could make a submerged Japanese submarine fire torpedoes at player sub and/or AI fleetboats help attack enemy convoys as wolfpack.
Old 04-06-17, 04:10 PM   #4440
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
This is a ~GR-EAT~ page! I vote for Jeff-Groves' name flashing in black on a black screen, credit in extra-fine print, the PB4Y Privateer as a Pearl Harbor fly-over, with a blue trailing banner, with "Jeff-Groves for President" in matching blue, followed by a group of water-skiers standing on each others' shoulders, pulled by the Groves Bathurst, coming out of the sub pens and parading around the Harbor... Free balloons and candy for everyone!... Perhaps an Easter Egg hidden somewhere, with Jeff-Groves' high school graduation picture... no wait, we want folks coming back to play... nevermind

You need to get back on your meds Mate!!