Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-26-17, 01:44 PM   #1
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Default Dunkirk

Hello guys just watched Dunkirk on Cinema The quality was fantastic and the audio was amazing in the begining it was scary how realistic were the shots. Almost wanted to get down . So whats your guys opinion about the movie I liked it but it could have added more details about the characters

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 04:57 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Very good German review pointing at the complexity and inner intricacy of the movie. Also that the movie is very precisely arranged and composed. Have not seen it myself so far, but got the imprerssion it is m ore about the experince of time passing during battle, than about narrating a story or explaining characters. If so, the way the figures are described with a distance is intentional.

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/kino/du...a-1159401.html
Old 07-27-17, 05:43 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I rated it up there with the likes of Hacksaw Ridge but couldn't help but laugh at the flack (no pun intended) it attracted around PC.

For the record: My father was there and I still remember many of the stories of his real life experiences.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 06:41 AM   #4
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

I loved the way it didnt use dialog to to explain a scene. The film has a way of keeping you very tense until the very end...

If you are looking for a Saving Private Ryan style movie, then go somewhere else.

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 07:01 AM   #5
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

I haven't seen it yet but the movie is garnering excellent reviews.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 07:53 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The movie seems to use some interesting sub-conscious and/or unorthodox techniques, I read, from Shepard tones (LINK) to the omnipresent ticking of Nolans very own watch that can be heared, I read, from the first to the last second of the movie, constantly, although the action most of the time drowns it - but it is nevertheless there.

Nolan is one of my favourite directors of the present. Inception was solid and original entertainment, the Batman trilogy imo is simply brilliant story narrating, and Interstellar is - I cannot really nail it and cannot precisely explain why I am fascinated, but I have seen that film four times now within just a few months.
Old 07-28-17, 11:17 AM   #7
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeck View Post
I loved the way it didnt use dialog to to explain a scene. The film has a way of keeping you very tense until the very end...

If you are looking for a Saving Private Ryan style movie, then go somewhere else.
I was so tense what I was shaking in the seat

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 12:48 PM   #8
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I rated it up there with the likes of Hacksaw Ridge but couldn't help but laugh at the flack (no pun intended) it attracted around PC.

For the record: My father was there and I still remember many of the stories of his real life experiences.
Must have been some real interesting stories to listen to Jim!

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-17, 05:39 PM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
Must have been some real interesting stories to listen to Jim!
They sure were Eddie but nothing like his experiences at Normandy on D-Day.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 12:35 PM   #10
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Churchill famously asserted at the time that no war was ever won by evacuation... but he couldn't see ahead to the Bomber Command/US 8th Air Force campaign and subsequent Allied invasion. So would anyone disagree if I say that he got that wrong?
Old 08-01-17, 01:15 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon9 The Art of War...

Well of course he couldn't see ahead to the D day invasion...he was still suffering from Post Gallipoli Traumatic Stress: British Empire:
160,790 battle casualties
3,778+ died of disease
90,000 evacuated sick French Empire:
27,169 battle casualties
deaths from disease: unknown
20,000 evacuated sick
Quote:
Political repercussions in Britain had begun during the battle, Fisher resigned in May after bitter conflict with Churchill. The crisis that followed after the Conservatives learned that Churchill would be staying, forced the Prime Minister H. H. Asquith to end his Liberal Government and form a Coalition Government with the Conservative Party. The Asquith government responded to the disappointment and outrage over Gallipoli and Kut by establishing commissions of inquiry into both episodes, which had done much to "destroy its faltering reputation for competence"..The Dardanelles Commission was set up to investigate the failure of the expedition, the first report being issued in 1917, with the final report published in 1919.Following the failure of the Dardanelles expedition, Sir Ian Hamilton, commander of the MEF, was recalled to London in October 1915, ending his military career.... Churchill was demoted from First Lord of the Admiralty as a condition of Conservative entry to the coalition but remained in the Cabinet in the sinecure of Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.Churchill resigned in November 1915 and left London for the Western Front, where he commanded an infantry battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers...

"young Winston"; demoted to Lt Col 6th Service Battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers His service went some way to restoring his reputation...and his watercolor painting: Churchill's Departing for the Front set to sell at auction for £250,000 !! And at the front:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 06:27 AM   #12
Vietnameserabbe
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 71

Saw it recently. Awesome film, but not just perfect. Really like the air combat scenes, they seems real.
Vietnameserabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 09:15 AM   #13
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Vietnameserabbe!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 08:10 PM   #14
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Just got back from seeing the the movie in Imax. For those not familiar with Imax, it's a much larger screen than regular theater screens. The cinematography was great. The sound was awesome. I could really notice the whine of the Stukas. Skybird, I noticed the ticking watch also. I liked how they took the stories of the one Spitfire pilot, the civilian rescue boat, and the one soldier and tied them together in the end.
Old 08-14-17, 05:15 PM   #15
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
They sure were Eddie but nothing like his experiences at Normandy on D-Day.
I bet, must have really been something!

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote