SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-17-17, 06:55 PM   #946
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Maybe it is your web browser, what are you using? If it is Firefox try an update?

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-17, 11:48 AM   #947
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Maybe it is your web browser, what are you using? If it is Firefox try an update?
I have and are only using. Chrome, IE11 and lately now and then Microsoft Edge. Mostly I use IE11.

My computer are set to send me notice when there is an update to one of these browser or to other I have only received two updates after the huge updates last week-Going to Win10 Creators.

It was first after this huge update I got this or should I say these problems. First it was Google and its service(such as google translate) who wasn't there(see my former post) and then I couldn't access youtube and today I have noticed I can't access one of my mail account(I have two) and I can't access none of them

I guess I will have about 2-3 weeks then I'm without a computer, ´cause I am a totally novice when it come to deeper things regarding computers-I have read a lot and a lot about this TSL-thing. I can read what it says, but I don't understand the meaning of it.

I have tried to search for it(via Bing *) Here I have only found very old article-way back to 2003 and 2008.(can't access google) and a version from 2003 regarding this TSL-thing.

TSL Means Transport Layer Security I know it has something to do with sending information between two places secured. I don't know how I can change my TSL, if possible. or if it is a thing Google has to do.

Some more info. At start I couldn't as expected access my google account, and I couldn't access youtube. I could see the startscreen in our movie thread. After this first visit here in Subsim and GT. I continued my journey in cyberspace, went back to Subsim to write this comment and to see if I still could see the startscreen and see these movies-I could not.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-17, 07:29 PM   #948
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

I have a password/username for Google and it is the same account with Youtube (same company). So it does look like a security problem with Google.
What sort of firewall do you run? can you check the privileges?
It does seem that access to Google is denied for some reason, have you tried Yahoo or another browser? Hopefully RR can shed some light, he's probably on Easter holidays.
Strange that your email is also blocked, have you tried access through webmail?

Old 04-19-17, 08:44 AM   #949
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Reece, see if you can access gmail or google search in a private browser window. Also, this appears to be a repeat of a previous problem in 2016. All you defenders of Microsoft snooping because it "increases quality," this is powerful evidence that Windows quality is falling! It's not slowly slipping down a shallow slope, it's fallen off a cliff.

Solution last time was to go into settings for IE11 and Edge and turn "use TLS 1.2" off. Last time Firefox and Chrome were unaffected by the feature. It's hard to believe that specific blocking of all things Google is an accident, although the MS drones were chanting that mantra last time.

Still reading that thread. Things get worse:
Quote:
Per H. Apr 11, 2017
I have this issue in Creators Update (15063), I have tried several different “solutions” (like disabling TLS 1.2), InPrivate Browsing and others but none have helped me. I was really hoping to start using Edge now, but I guess I’ll have to wait a little bit longer :-(
Why would ANYONE "really hope" to start using a cell phone app on a real computer? People are simply sick. Why would they even use totally insecure and abysmally slow IE11? Really the fix is to jump ship from Microsoft. The handwriting is on the wall and it says the sky is falling. Microsoft may fix this problem, but history has already repeated itself. Their snooping is so far over the line it wouldn't have been tolerated two years ago. People would have gone to prison. And their stated reason that it increases quality of the product is just a sorry lie.

Quote:
Jonathan B. Apr 14, 2017
Yeah, this isn’t a 'bug’, this is horrible business practice by Microsoft. Blocking Google’s sites is childish. You can drown us in advertisements on the computers WE OWN but if you’re browser doesn’t open all sites on the internet, guess what? I’m going to use GOOGLE’S browser…I tried to give Edge a shot and it didn’t even last an hour…
Nuff said. It's a real issue. It will be ignored and even made difficult to find. It's not a bug. Microsoft saw how users defeated the block last time and strengthened it this time. This is Microsoft's business practice in action. At some point it will be intolerable even by those who love and defend Microsoft now. This site quoted above is one of those sites peopled by Microsoft lovers. They are losing faith. Microsoft lost faith in us first and they richly deserve their fate.

Switch browsers to Chrome, Vivaldi, Firefox, Opera, Waterfox and not many others. Remember, that is just a temporary holding position while Windows goes to hell.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 04-19-17 at 10:38 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-17, 11:04 AM   #950
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I have a password/username for Google and it is the same account with Youtube (same company). So it does look like a security problem with Google.
What sort of firewall do you run? can you check the privileges?
It does seem that access to Google is denied for some reason, have you tried Yahoo or another browser? Hopefully RR can shed some light, he's probably on Easter holidays.
Strange that your email is also blocked, have you tried access through webmail?
Thank you for your answer.

I have Avast Internet Security And it runs smoothly no problems there.

Rockin Robbins mentioned below your answer, that people should drop IE and especially Edge. I would, if it wasn't that I have the same problem in Chrome-Can't access Google, Gmail and youtube.

Have tried to locate this TSL 1.2. The only thing I can find is something called SSL in my Internet settings.

Very IMPORTANT! I'm a totally novice when it comes to computer-things So I do NOT touch things inside the computers software. Meaning no touching things in BIOS, Registry and so on and so on. I have only done as recommended-There is a new update available. I do as told, I get this update and let the computer do the work. That is the reason to why I can't understand I have these problems with my Google and youtube account.

Is it my computer or is it Google or have the been some problems with my upgrade to Creators ?

Markus
Old 04-19-17, 11:17 AM   #951
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Is it my computer or is it Google or have the been some problems with my upgrade to Creators ?

Markus
Unfortunately, all I can tell you is what I can find. It certainly has something to do with the upgrade. You are not alone. Microsloth says the problem is fixed in the thread on the Microsoft site I was quoting above. It isn't. I don't have and will never have Windows 10 on any computer I own. So I can't try things to help you out.

I would try the black box repair function in Windows 10. Who knows what it does. Mostly it goes out to lunch for a long time and either tells you it's fixed or that it can't fix it. Then you reboot to see what it did. I've seen it say it fixed the problem and didn't. I've seen it say it didn't fix the problem and it did. It doesn't tell you what the problem is or what it did to fix it. You don't deserve to know.

Windows days are numbered. It's time to form an exit strategy.
Old 04-19-17, 12:11 PM   #952
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you Rockin Robbins

Where can I find this "black box repair function" ?

I can now, for the moment access google in my Chrome browser. Had to add an "s" in my favorite-something and then it came. Did the same in IE NO still no access.

Edit: Since I wrote the comment above this text, I could as written access google in Chrome and Edge. Now I can't for some reason, even though I had added this s in http.

If you wonder if I'm confused then I can tell you that I am a lot.

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 04-19-17 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 03:08 PM   #953
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I have noticed something some minutes ago. I do NOT have Chrome anymore. I noticed it by holding my cursor on the Chrome-logo which haven't change in form or other things before and after the big upgrading.

Now it is Microsoft Edge !!

I don't know where my Chrome is can't find it !

A thought: Have Microsoft been stealing some ideas from Google and their browser Chrome and added these to their own new browser Edge ? ´cause it look a lot like Chrome. I visit Chrome same day I got the upgrade.

I can access google in the Edge, but I don't want to use this browser.

Have to download and reinstall Chrome.

Markus
Old 04-19-17, 07:22 PM   #954
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

If you have edge I would uninstall that first. I just realized/remembered that Chrome is also Google so it seems there is some problem with Google account, otherwise the browser. I use Firefox and never had any problems in Win XP, Win 10, and Linux.

Old 04-19-17, 09:00 PM   #955
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Do you have the Cortana search box in your taskbar? Just type chrome and it should find it.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-17, 09:03 PM   #956
Buddahaid

So after most of a week using the 1703 build, I've had Onedrive attempt to reactivate twice as a suggestion to saving files, and Windows thinking my printer driver is lost when it is not.

David Bowie
Old 04-20-17, 07:52 AM   #957
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I have noticed something some minutes ago. I do NOT have Chrome anymore. I noticed it by holding my cursor on the Chrome-logo which haven't change in form or other things before and after the big upgrading.

Now it is Microsoft Edge !!

I don't know where my Chrome is can't find it !

A thought: Have Microsoft been stealing some ideas from Google and their browser Chrome and added these to their own new browser Edge ? ´cause it look a lot like Chrome. I visit Chrome same day I got the upgrade.
Markus
Edge is a cell phone app. Chrome is a computer app. There is no way Edge either looks like Chrome or steals its ideas. As Microsoft explores its newest feature set: contempt for customers, look for more and more in your face episodes of pure malevolence.

I once read an interview of Steve Martin. He said something like "so there's the audience. They've paid good money to sit in that seat and laugh. And they WILL laugh, no matter what I say. I love to stand on stage and refuse to say anything funny at all. They came to laugh. Eventually they just run out of patience and laugh at nothing at all. It's funny."

When service to customers, respect for customers, eagerly seeking their needs and wants and rushing to satisfy them ceases to be your guiding principle and is replaced by contempt and a strong sense of entitlement, then you have jumped the shark. You are well on the way to "who's he?"
Old 04-20-17, 08:19 AM   #958
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Do you have the Cortana search box in your taskbar? Just type chrome and it should find it.
I was told by an "I.T." person to turn Cortana off, it spies on your system.

Old 04-20-17, 08:26 AM   #959
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I say MS is in contempt of common sense and all that is decent in the world... As of several weeks ago, I no longer allow my Windows installs to update at all. I had quit the "automatic" over 2 years ago, and dumped Win10 preview prior to the final release, when I first noticed them doing Evil Roy Slade deeds... Win7 will soon be relegated to "basement only" status, with no access to the outside world via the internet. They (MS) basically trashed my Win7-64 install the last three times I did the "important" updates (only), and I had to "repair" their deeds. Something undesired always seemed to "come along for the ride". What a crock of $#!+ pie! They've (not me) changed all my file associations for the last time. I waited too long to quit the updates, and the one computer somehow "automatically" flips my jpeg file association back to an MS app every time I'm not looking. Same thing with the avi files. I do NOT want MSMP even thinking of opening on my computer, and I want VLC associated with AVI and MP4, but MS sure doesn't. I've got 3 flavors of Ubuntu running on the three main computers now, deciding which flavor is best for the family to use. The wife already doesn't notice the difference on the web, but does when it comes to "saving" files and re-opening them later, so we'll have to work on that transition for her... The boys couldn't care less one way or the other, so long as their games run... - and a LOT of what they have is on Steam, and is no problem... The umbilical cord attached to Redmond, while made of high-tinsel strength cable, is slowly but surely being sawn asunder here... I already do most of my real "work" (SH4, video editing and music recording) on Ubuntu Studio on the "big" computer. I just wish my store-bought plug-ins would work reliably and natively in Ubuntu.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 09:08 AM   #960
Buddahaid

Quote:
I was told by an "I.T." person to turn Cortana off, it spies on your system.
Suit yourself, but I have Cortana all turned off as well save the search box.

David Bowie

Tags
windows