Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-12-17, 07:39 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Earth's expiration date and the humans expiration day

Some weeks ago I saw on a science program. The Univers In this episode they had asked the science people, who has the space as their work area. what they thought could be the end of the world and/or Earth

The program made me think/wonder

It's no doubt that our planet and the people that lives on it has an expiration date.

I'm pretty sure the expiration date for the human kind is close than Earth expiration date.

I also think it's more likely that we the human kind, will erase us self from the surface than some earth-killer asteroid would hit us.

When it comes to our Mother Earth I don't know what is most highly to happen a planet almost the size of Earth hit us or the Sun expand and swallow Earth ?

No I'm absolutely not worried. If you may wonder or think so.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 08:10 PM   #2
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Only God knows that date!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 08:25 PM   #3
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I think it's a pretty safe bet that none of us will live to see the end of either the earth or the human race.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 08:42 PM   #4
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I think it's a pretty safe bet that none of us will live to see the end of either the earth or the human race.
Short of a planet splitting planetoid (yeah, asteroid is just too small here) impact, I'm sure we won't witness it. The rocky body we know as Earth will continue to orbit the Sun, for about another 4 billions years (I believe that's the number) until the Sun turns into a red giant and swallows it whole.

End of the Human Race is another matter. The right idiot in control of a nuclear arsenal has a decent shot of wiping us out, but probably not completely. But most likely, if we do see a species ending event, it will be from some pandemic that we can't stop. Or again, from an impactor from space.

But yet, it's kinda weird that one of the biggest natural disasters we could ever face, an impact from an asteroid or the like, is the only natural disaster we can both predict with adequate lead time and we can prevent, that we aren't spending more effort to protect ourselves.

https://b612foundation.org/ ftw

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 08:44 PM   #5
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

if one believes in the almighty then this will be convinced God will come to our rescue and take over the steering wheels before we completely drive over the edge

While some believe in a thing called Gaia that Earth is a living organisme and thinking ditto.

Will God take control and let some part of the human live on

or

Will this Gaia erase the human kind from her organisme or let some of the human get a second chance to improve

That was about the Human

Earth:

Will, if Bible is wrong in some way, God let Earth be destroyed or give it another chance with other living things than human or will Human still be his choice ?

Markus
Old 07-12-17, 09:13 PM   #6
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I absolutely do believe that God would allow us to destroy the earth. Our tiny bit of floating rock could hardly be of significance to an omnipotent being responsible for creating existence itself.

I figure that he gave us this playground and he gave us the free will to do with it and each other as our consciences will abide. If we mess it up it's on us, just as what we do to each other is also on us and I believe that once this life is done we'll be judged on how we chose to live it and whether we deserve to move on.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 09:22 PM   #7
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

When I wrote/made my thread I had not God in my mind only science stuff

When I read Reece comments I thought

My thread can be discussed from a religious point-of-view or from a Science-point-of view.

It's up the each debater how he or she sees it.

Markus
Old 07-13-17, 05:33 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Watch "Life of Pi".
Old 07-13-17, 05:38 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Agreed

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-17, 06:57 AM   #10
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Earth’s Next Major Extinction Event Has Already Started
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...-1207021200_uk

Quote:
Researchers did not state how long it predicted the human race to survive, but said there was scope to “address the decay of biodiversity.”
It looks as if the future of mankind could be in the balance if this report is true, its not going to be the quick extinction like the dinosaurs went through but a much slower lingering extinction, whoever termed the phrase that "Greed is Good" doesn't give a monkeys toss about anyone else but themselves.
Old 07-13-17, 08:03 AM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I know. Let's pick 27,000 species out the millions of species on earth. We'll pick them arbitrarily to ensure bias, make grand assumptions about past extinction rates, as if we knew at any given time how many species exist (heck, we can't even agree on what a species IS!!) and then make a prediction of doom. Shades of 1950s science fiction movies, but for a lot more money.

Doom sells. What people buy we will get more of. People are absolute SUCKERS for predictions of doom, especially THEIR doom. Watch for more more and darker doom scenarios, invented from whole cloth, sold to you by news media which has lost its compass and doesn't know what news is any more.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-17, 08:09 AM   #12
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-17, 09:05 AM   #13
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Earth’s Next Major Extinction Event Has Already Started
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...-1207021200_uk

It looks as if the future of mankind could be in the balance if this report is true, its not going to be the quick extinction like the dinosaurs went through but a much slower lingering extinction, whoever termed the phrase that "Greed is Good" doesn't give a monkeys toss about anyone else but themselves.
The article is a bit off the mark there... Humans have been causing species to go extinct long before modern times. The Maori hunted the Moa to extinction, which starved the giant Eagles to extinction. The Aboriginals hunted the Diprotodon to death, and Europeans, Asians, and Americans wiped out the Woolly Mammoth.

Still, given that we're the only animals on the planet who are aware that we're causing an extinction event, I doubt we'll reach Permian levels (95% of all life destroyed).

By the way, Dinosaurs aren't extinct. You see them every day.
Old 07-13-17, 10:59 AM   #14
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Yes I know dinosaurs aren't extinct, I had a leg of one last night.

Quote:
England's lost world: 421 species - including mammals, birds and plants - have become extinct over the past 200 years
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...200-years.html

If that article above is true then we're not talking about one or two species over centuries but hundreds of them, I'm sure that would count as a local mass extinction.
Add in the lost species from every other country and we've got a global mass extinction on our hands and its the "greed is good" culture that's driving them to extinction.

As always we've got the climate and extinction deniers who are listened to more because they have the loudest voices, its not because they are right that they are so vocal its because they have more to lose than any one else, you only have to look at the Brazilian rain forest destruction to see this greed culture in full swing.
Old 07-13-17, 01:45 PM   #15
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote