SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-17, 03:19 AM   #31
ThatZenoGuy
Sailor man

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

I've redone all the zones, now has everything a submarine needs (Sen toku vanilla doesn't, as far as I am aware of, missing a few rooms, and for some reason has a read torpedo room!?)

I need the ID for a flak room 4, I have 3 flak zones done, but the 4th, I can't seem to set. DX

No vanilla submarine has 4 flak guns...
ThatZenoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 04:15 AM   #32
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Pretty much so yes and has been for years
Need to add a patch to get that second uv on the model.
Dl the jyunsen b mod and see

Regards

K

Nb peabody had also done one back in 2008?

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 04:33 AM   #33
ThatZenoGuy
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01 View Post
Pretty much so yes and has been for years
Need to add a patch to get that second uv on the model.
Dl the jyunsen b mod and see

Regards

K

Nb peabody had also done one back in 2008?
People seriously need to release submarines individually! Grrr!
Old 05-16-17, 07:12 AM   #34
ThatZenoGuy
Sailor man

Oh man this is starting to piss me the **** off.

HOW.

DO.

YOU.

GET.

FOUR.

AA.

GUNS.

TO.

WORK!?

GRAH!

Whenever I set all 4 compartments (each with its own AA gun), each with 2 crew, the entire crew slot area goes 'poof', but appears when I don't reference any crew to be in there.
Old 05-16-17, 07:37 AM   #35
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Some guns come with crew, so check the guns' configs. Look at a surface ship's AA arrangement, and see how they do it.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 07:46 AM   #36
ThatZenoGuy
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Some guns come with crew, so check the guns' configs. Look at a surface ship's AA arrangement, and see how they do it.
Surface ship's have 'fake' AA, turrets bolted on which don't have player control.

Only submarines have playable guns, with crew and such.

Guessing that larger ships would maybe lag if they had the several hundred crew needed for their guns.

I can check the gun configs though...But this is just annoying me so, its the same damned issue.

I even downloaded the other SenToku mod, just to see how it works, and it helps none, as it's using the german boat stuff, and only has 3 turrets.
Old 05-16-17, 08:01 AM   #37
propbeanie

The "German" stuff was used in keltos01's mod because it's the "Axis" side of the war in v1.5, else we'd never have a "conflict". A lot of the surface vessels have manned guns that track "enemy" movement and shoot the guns within constraints. One thing about player controlled stuff is (if I'm remembering this correctly) that you are bound by the hard-coded files in SH4, and that is one player-controlled deck gun, one player-controlled AA gun. Since you are making the Sen Toku player controllable on the US side, copy a US Fleet Boat. The Gato is the most numberous and more or less a "standard". If you make the submarine an "Axis" boat, copy one of the German boats. Some of the boats do have multiple AI gun positions, so you can always try and add more of those...

Old 05-16-17, 08:24 AM   #38
ThatZenoGuy
Sailor man

Quote:
The "German" stuff was used in keltos01's mod because it's the "Axis" side of the war in v1.5, else we'd never have a "conflict". A lot of the surface vessels have manned guns that track "enemy" movement and shoot the guns within constraints. One thing about player controlled stuff is (if I'm remembering this correctly) that you are bound by the hard-coded files in SH4, and that is one player-controlled deck gun, one player-controlled AA gun. Since you are making the Sen Toku player controllable on the US side, copy a US Fleet Boat. The Gato is the most numberous and more or less a "standard". If you make the submarine an "Axis" boat, copy one of the German boats. Some of the boats do have multiple AI gun positions, so you can always try and add more of those...
Oh I know why it has the axis coding, its on the axis side.

I copied the Balao class mostly, ripped out the deck gun which can't be mounted (I 400 only has a stern), but from the looks of it, I need to do some more work on the guns, I haven't set them as obj_turret IIRC.

So working on those, then see what'll happen.
Old 05-16-17, 09:13 AM   #39
ThatZenoGuy
Sailor man

Ensured all turrets have controllers (need to work on their cameras...But the game doesn't have 4 AA gun camera slots...I guess I'll have to remove one... DX)

STILL NO CREW BEING ALLOCATED TO THE GUNS.

Old 05-17-17, 03:43 AM   #40
ThatZenoGuy
Sailor man

At this point I have basically given up.

Why this game is so absurdly finicky with mods, is beyond me.
Old 05-17-17, 07:47 AM   #41
propbeanie

It's the nature of the beast. There is no real "documentation" from Ubi on modding the game either, so basically we end up using a 10 pound sledge hammer to make a glass duckling of a mod... takes quite a few tries, and sometimes, you just have to accept that the glass duckling looks more like a bruised squirrel, run over by a bus and done-up by an untalented taxidermist. Cool thing is, some folks like squirrels better than glass ducklings... Just keep comparing files in the stock game with files in other mods. And remember, what you're attempting to do is on the upper-end of the talent scale. Webster has a thread somewhere about text editing for folks of my "skill level" - found it: Do you want to learn how to mod sh4?. This is just one example of one of the premier modders on here basically thinking out loud for our benefit. Peter THEBERBSTER has a link in his signature SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX that has other similar links of threads to be read. I wish I could retain one tenth of what I've read on this site, but my brain would explode... - it probably already did, but I'm just not aware of it yet... - if you've ever wondered why it takes so long for a mod to come out, now you know...

Old 05-17-17, 08:04 AM   #42
ThatZenoGuy
Sailor man

My issue is that it seems a single mis-reference/missing node can cause a whole CTD, and there's NO CRASH LOG.

If there was a log, I could see what was causing the crash, and fix each issue systematically, but noooooooooooooooooooooo unisoft HAS to be an incompetent developer!

GRR!

And to think they ruined Silent Hunter 5 too... *Sighs*

I'll work on it again soon enough...

I guess I'll have to basically copy every node from the Balao class into this mod, and reference everything the same way.

In a nutshell it'll be a bigger, nastier Balao, at least in code.

The game also seems to have WAYYYYYYYYYYY too much hardcoded stuff in it, you can't just 'slap on' four AA guns, and only the german subs have 3 IIRC.

This is quite infuriating.
Old 05-17-17, 09:15 AM   #43
propbeanie

Indeed. The error catching - or lack thereof - is my pet peeve about the game series. There should at least be a utility you run your files through for a "check" of some form, like what the Mission Editor has for mission files... maybe one of these days, someone will come up with that...

Old 05-17-17, 09:56 AM   #44
ThatZenoGuy
Sailor man

Quote:
Indeed. The error catching - or lack thereof - is my pet peeve about the game series. There should at least be a utility you run your files through for a "check" of some form, like what the Mission Editor has for mission files... maybe one of these days, someone will come up with that...
I feel as though you could indeed program a 'debugger' for mods, but it'd...It'd take a while.

You'd need to program in every check the GAME does, and basically make it run through the files as the game would.

Ahh well...

This bugs me, Sen Toku class lacked a rear torpedo room, but NOOOOOOOOOOO I HAVE TO ADD ONE BECAUSE THE GAME GETS ANNOYED! GRAH!