Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-14-17, 12:10 PM   #1
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi DG
Replaces the stock keyboards W-A-S-D keys with arrow keys.
F1 help shows you the key board layout in the game + documentation also.
Church's SHV 1.01 Keyboard Commands > Enable JSGME
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-17, 07:10 PM   #2
No name
Nub

Downloads: 7

Sounds like a stupid one I never got around lol.

How do I navigate the Kiel canal on max time warp? I keep planning out the route before I get underway yet somehow I just "skip" on to land. Is that part of it naturally buggy? I've ran into the bloody sub pens once from outside Denmark lol.

(Could just be me and my old PC though )
No name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 10:38 AM   #3
Pionier
Nub

Downloads: 63
Default Radio silence or not?

If I do not obey to the BDU order and do not send any radio about my status and location, is there any penalty for me? I do not want to risk my sub and crew for a stupid order!
Pionier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 12:23 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

PIONIER!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 03:26 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Pionier
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 08:05 PM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pionier View Post
If I do not obey to the BDU order and do not send any radio about my status and location, is there any penalty for me? I do not want to risk my sub and crew for a stupid order!
Welcome Pionier,
I play with TWoS which is much improved compared to vanilla, so i can't exactly report how you succeed in vanilla game.

What counts for your career is both the tonnage you sink and that you succeed in your first mission objectives (no need to do any secondary missions, it's optional). You can see your progress in the 'Captain's Log'. If you read 'on-going' you still need to work, if you reed 'Finished' the event is over, even if you did not personally sink anything: All events are TIME-DRIVEN if you play with TWoS, meaning events will be over at a specific time frame to respect historical events. If you play the vanilla game then AFAIK you need an amount of tonnage sunk to succeed. New missions can only be obtained in the Bunker at port.

I hope this helps you,
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 06:06 AM   #7
Pionier
Nub

XenonSurf , thanks!

Of course, i play WOS only. As i understood from your message, there are no penalties to the player, if he don't respond to BDU order about location and status.
The main thing for awards and renown is finishing of the grid patrolling and some tonnage...

This is a good thing from one side for a player, but it is unrealistic - as i know, german commanders were obliged to intencive radio speaking. So why they were destroyed so often...

My first goal in the game is to SURVIVE, not tonnage or awards. I still dream to see the sunrise at 09 05 1945 in my periscope...

Old 01-03-18, 08:21 AM   #8
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pionier View Post
XenonSurf , thanks!

Of course, i play WOS only. As i understood from your message, there are no penalties to the player, if he don't respond to BDU order about location and status.
The main thing for awards and renown is finishing of the grid patrolling and some tonnage...

This is a good thing from one side for a player, but it is unrealistic - as i know, german commanders were obliged to intencive radio speaking. So why they were destroyed so often...

My first goal in the game is to SURVIVE, not tonnage or awards. I still dream to see the sunrise at 09 05 1945 in my periscope...

You wont receive any direct penalties but also, BdU wont inform You about potentially spotted units in your vicinity (occasional "yellow" radio report) so, it's up to You...

Happy hunting!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 11:16 AM   #9
Pionier
Nub

vdr1981, XenonSurf, many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
You wont receive any direct penalties but also, BdU wont inform You about potentially spotted units in your vicinity (occasional "yellow" radio report) so, it's up to You...
I didn't know that BDU in WOS really follow me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
You need to manually distribute a crewman's points (until you read 0 points), don't forget that, especially for sonar man, or they act sub-optimal.
Hmmm...
So i should upgrade my radio guy too, the ability "SAFE COMMUNICATION"??!
The sticky post for TWoS is a long one, indeed, but it seems there is nothing about the radio problem...
When i see an option in a game, i never know that the option is really a working one. And how it works...
OK, it's all clear now

Cheers!
Old 01-03-18, 08:30 AM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

There is a sort of penalty, but not very severe:
By sinking ships inside your patrol area, or succeeding secondary missions you get points to distribute at the bunker afterwards for improving your sub and crew performance. Everytime you put the crew in 'Battle Stations level 2' they act according to their performance which can be seen if you fire-up the crew window and click on a crew image to see his details. You need to manually distribute a crewman's points (until you read 0 points), don't forget that, especially for sonar man, or they act sub-optimal.

If you skip your orders and patrol elsewhere, then you won't get these crew points or points for your sub, that's it I think.
Also in SH5 there is the quirk that once you enter your patrol zone, you should not leave it early because the time counter to decide if you are successful will be reset if you save the game inside the zone. To avoid that, stay in your zone in 1 go and only save once you leave the zone. Not patrolling the ordered time will also 'only' get you as a penalty no points for your sub and crew. (sorry for my English, this makes it a long text...)

The sticky post for TWoS is a long one, but it's worth to read because it contains many finesses about the game and how you play TWoS, so I recommend to read it.

Cheers,
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 06:06 AM   #11
italianmarine
A-ganger

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
There is a sort of penalty, but not very severe:
By sinking ships inside your patrol area, or succeeding secondary missions you get points to distribute at the bunker afterwards for improving your sub and crew performance. Everytime you put the crew in 'Battle Stations level 2' they act according to their performance which can be seen if you fire-up the crew window and click on a crew image to see his details. You need to manually distribute a crewman's points (until you read 0 points), don't forget that, especially for sonar man, or they act sub-optimal.

If you skip your orders and patrol elsewhere, then you won't get these crew points or points for your sub, that's it I think.
Also in SH5 there is the quirk that once you enter your patrol zone, you should not leave it early because the time counter to decide if you are successful will be reset if you save the game inside the zone. To avoid that, stay in your zone in 1 go and only save once you leave the zone. Not patrolling the ordered time will also 'only' get you as a penalty no points for your sub and crew. (sorry for my English, this makes it a long text...)

The sticky post for TWoS is a long one, but it's worth to read because it contains many finesses about the game and how you play TWoS, so I recommend to read it.

Cheers,
one question: If I am on the way to the patrol point and sink ships on the way there, will I get also crew points? Of course the tonnages sunk I can see, but I am wondering if I get the xp.
If I report those contacts I get replies from BdU like:
-act on your own
-Attack contact

Last edited by italianmarine; 01-08-19 at 07:37 AM.
italianmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-18, 06:09 AM   #12
TakeTheBody
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Default When to pull the trigger

Good morning,

I'm playing SH5 WOS. Fantastic experience. In past played a bunch of vanilla SH3 some time ago.

During my SH3 time, I used the fully assisted targeting. Now I'm going full manual thanks to wonderful youtubers providing tutorials. I am in crawl phase of skill development. I have a saved game at a point hunting a lonely freighter on my first mission in game where I'm practicing RAOFB.

One thing I did not see clearly (or failed to detect) in all the demonstrations, is once all firing solution data input to TDC manually, when to pull the trigger. I turn on TDC once data is entered and track target and am not sure where sight picture should be to fire.

Some youtubers mention panning sight picture till the gyro reads 0, then fire. I've tried that with mixed results. My last shot last night was 3900 meters and I fired a medium speed torp with my sight picture center mass on target without gyro at 0 and achieved a hit.

With the mixed results, I am not sure what is a consistent way to place sight picture so I can work towards mastery.

Also, what are the parameters for setting speed of torp as it relates to speed of target and distance. during my "practice" runs against the freighter in my saved game, my fast torps over shot, while mediums struck. Target was at 3900m. I had a few shots at greater distances and I'm pretty sure my torps overshot when I used fast setting as well.

Thank you for any suggestions and apologies if this is posted somewhere else.
TakeTheBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-18, 05:48 AM   #13
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeTheBody View Post
Good morning,

I'm playing SH5 WOS. Fantastic experience. In past played a bunch of vanilla SH3 some time ago.

During my SH3 time, I used the fully assisted targeting. Now I'm going full manual thanks to wonderful youtubers providing tutorials. I am in crawl phase of skill development. I have a saved game at a point hunting a lonely freighter on my first mission in game where I'm practicing RAOFB.

One thing I did not see clearly (or failed to detect) in all the demonstrations, is once all firing solution data input to TDC manually, when to pull the trigger. I turn on TDC once data is entered and track target and am not sure where sight picture should be to fire.

Some youtubers mention panning sight picture till the gyro reads 0, then fire. I've tried that with mixed results. My last shot last night was 3900 meters and I fired a medium speed torp with my sight picture center mass on target without gyro at 0 and achieved a hit.

With the mixed results, I am not sure what is a consistent way to place sight picture so I can work towards mastery.

Also, what are the parameters for setting speed of torp as it relates to speed of target and distance. during my "practice" runs against the freighter in my saved game, my fast torps over shot, while mediums struck. Target was at 3900m. I had a few shots at greater distances and I'm pretty sure my torps overshot when I used fast setting as well.

Thank you for any suggestions and apologies if this is posted somewhere else.
3900m is way far from target to get accurate hit IMHO.
I always try to fire within 1000m radius or even closer
This way, target has little to no way chance to avoid your torpedos.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote