SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-15-16, 07:34 PM   #2611
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

I'm running Dual R9 380 2GB in Crossfire mode.

BUT, I'm also running it through WINE.

To compare, with R7 370 2GB, with Crossfire... Half-Life 2 Episode 2 through WINE gets ~60fps (in the menu and otherwise). Running the Linux native Version, I get ~160 fps In the menu, I get between 160 and 299 in game.

With the R9s I'm getting ~166 in the menu, and between 200 and 299 in game. 299 is the max that the Source Engine will show on the frame rate counter.

All other "3d" screens are running at ~60 fps in SH4, although I noticed 120 fps at one point. The 2D screens like the maps and the crew screen were up to 180 fps at a few points.
I didn't check the frame rate in the CT while running beta, but with the 3D TDC mod, I got about 20 fps. The Beta is a little less "laggy" than the 3d TDC mod.

ctrl-F8 is reserved for pulling up the multi-desktop "menu" so you can see everything you have running on all desktops. Sometimes Windows games don't play nice with that function. It'll either crash the game, or not turn on the Frame rate counter. SH3, it doesn't turn on the frame rate counter, or it stops accepting keyboard input.
SH4 it stopped accepting keyboard input, until I used ctrl-F8 multiple times.

It's "iffy" at best.

I will say this, with the R7s, I ran games that are of the same era, but are MUCH more demanding that SH3 or SH4 can EVER be. The R9s walk right through those same games... I'm not sure why the new CT is so laggy, because the OS/Hardware config handles much more than that with out so much as a hiccup...

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-16, 07:50 PM   #2612
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
I'm running Dual R9 380 2GB in Crossfire mode.

BUT, I'm also running it through WINE.

To compare, with R7 370 2GB, with Crossfire... Half-Life 2 Episode 2 through WINE gets ~60fps (in the menu and otherwise). Running the Linux native Version, I get ~160 fps In the menu, I get between 160 and 299 in game.

With the R9s I'm getting ~166 in the menu, and between 200 and 299 in game. 299 is the max that the Source Engine will show on the frame rate counter.

All other "3d" screens are running at ~60 fps in SH4, although I noticed 120 fps at one point. The 2D screens like the maps and the crew screen were up to 180 fps at a few points.
I didn't check the frame rate in the CT while running beta, but with the 3D TDC mod, I got about 20 fps. The Beta is a little less "laggy" than the 3d TDC mod.

ctrl-F8 is reserved for pulling up the multi-desktop "menu" so you can see everything you have running on all desktops. Sometimes Windows games don't play nice with that function. It'll either crash the game, or not turn on the Frame rate counter. SH3, it doesn't turn on the frame rate counter, or it stops accepting keyboard input.
SH4 it stopped accepting keyboard input, until I used ctrl-F8 multiple times.

It's "iffy" at best.

I will say this, with the R7s, I ran games that are of the same era, but are MUCH more demanding that SH3 or SH4 can EVER be. The R9s walk right through those same games... I'm not sure why the new CT is so laggy, because the OS/Hardware config handles much more than that with out so much as a hiccup...

Barracuda
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-16, 08:42 PM   #2613
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

More interesting is that I'm running Wine in Linux with a single GTX 250 graphics card from five years ago and FOTRS Ultimate runs as fast and smooth as the stock game--perhaps better than in Windows.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-16, 09:43 PM   #2614
BarracudaUAK
Captain

I'm waiting on AMDGPU-PRO to get out of beta before I upgrade.

I'm running Kernel 4.6.6, with FGLRX (aka Catalyst/Crimson), Kernel 4.7 breaks compatibility with the FGLRX binary.
The current Kernel, 4.9 is in a "testing" phase, known as "Release Candidate", or "RC". Currently RC5, as of this post.
As a result of the Switch from FGLRX, to AMDGPU before FGLRX was updated, I'm also running X.org version 1.17, the newest is 1.18.something...

AMDGPU-PRO last I checked is running pretty good, but is currently limited to Ubuntu 16, and RHEL 6 & 7, so I have to wait a bit longer.

Frame rates with AMDGPU have come up on several games compared to FGLRX.

I've used some Nvidia cards before in Windows, and always had trouble (maybe related to motherboards I used)... I've had no trouble with ATI/AMD cards since the 8mb RAGE IIC I got in '99. (15 different cards total, to date! )

Nvidia is really good with their Linux drivers, but they flat out refuse to help the open-source guys trying to develop a basic driver. (Last I checked.)

From what I've read most of the WINE devs use Nvidia cards with the Proprietary drivers, so I'm not surprised that you don't have any trouble RR.
Star Trek Bridge Commander gets about 2-3 FPS for me, but Nvidia Cards run normally.
It's a complaint I've seen from several people about WINE refusing to include a few projects that make AMD cards run at full speed. You can add them, but that requires compiling from source, and I'm still digging for all the packages I need. The WINE help page doesn't list them all...

Hence most likely why I'm getting lag with the mods... Everything else with SH4 is running great, and SH3 runs better than it did in XP....

Barracuda

P.S. I know RR understood all that, BUT
In case I confused anyone:
FGLRX is "Fire GL and Radeon for X". The Linux version of Catalyst/Crimson drivers.
FGLRX replaces a section of the Kernel which contains the open source driver, with a closed source/proprietary driver, and adds all the higher end functions such as Crossfire.

Now there is AMDGPU, and AMDGPU-PRO.
AMDGPU is an open-source driver, in the Kernel that handles R7s and up, and "-PRO" a proprietary driver, "plugs-in" to the Kernel and adds all the functions such as Crossfire, that the base driver doesn't handle.

I read somewhere that if you upgrade and the new Kernel-side AMDGPU supports things that the installed -PRO does not, that it can "revert" to the kernel side driver for those capabilities... I'm still searching for confirmation on that...

BTW, "X.org" aka "X" is what "draws" the desktop. Basically, it's what the 3D drivers "talk" to.

Old 11-15-16, 10:02 PM   #2615
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Gents, just a thought here, since the mod is changing so much else...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=228355

The thread Skybird started, where the posted link(s) mentioned code injection...

Particularly what I mentioned in post #11 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...5&postcount=11 ) about FOSE and NVSE (link to NVSE http://nvse.silverlock.org/ ), would something like this be possible with SH4?

It might add (or correct) the things that are not supported by SH4 in "stock" trim.

Just had the thought as I was about to log out.

Barracuda
Old 11-16-16, 07:37 AM   #2616
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

I played around with Fallout and New Vegas enough to know that I could use JSGME just as well as their own mod editors. So they weren't editing game code itself so far as I know. If they did, the game company would land on them with lawsuits like a ton of bricks.

All EULAs contain doom language about decompiling, modifying, deconstructing or making derivatives of copyrighted code. Code injectors do just that and could make some people we like very poor.

Only with the express written consent of Ubi would I even consider code injection. I know it's been done before with other games. High risk is still there and it's not justifiable risk. If we want game companies to continue to make moddable games, we need not to step on them. It would be childs' play to make a configuration file validator that would make it impossible to add a semicolon to a single configuration file. If they feel that modders are violating their rights and property they will do exactly that.

Makes you wonder if the "open source" WINE team is getting payoffs from nVidia to keep them from supporting AMD cards. Even the open source nVidia driver works pretty well.
Old 11-16-16, 11:30 AM   #2617
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Just a quick head's up for everyone. My single missions have been completely redone and have been uploaded to Area 51 for when the next caldron run takes place, they are in JSGME form also.

Old 11-16-16, 11:57 AM   #2618
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Maybe "Code Injection" isn't the right term for what I was thinking of.

My understanding is that NVSE doesn't "patch" the files on disk, it functions more like a "Trainer" that "hex edit" what is in ram to give you more health, ammo, etc (or in this case, more scripting options).

The NVSE site states:
Quote:
The New Vegas Script Extender, or NVSE for short, is a modder's resource that expands the scripting capabilities of Fallout: NV. It does so without modifying the executable files on disk, so there are no permanent side effects.
There was a post somewhere on a gaming forum that the programmers of NVSE and FOSE work for Bethesda, so that may be the reason they were able to make it??? I'm not sure, could never confirm that.

Forget I mentioned it.

As far as WINE and AMD/Nvidia, I remember reading several places (phoronix had a thread about this, I don't have a link though, I can find less there than I can here with a search ), that they didn't support an open source version of DX9 called "NINE" because of the amount of code they would have to maintain. This same project greatly helped ATI/AMD cards...
It was around 10%+ of the base WINE code, so it may be a "manpower" thing.

I don't know when it'll be fixed, just means that I'll be running the stock CT for now.

Barracuda
Old 11-16-16, 01:42 PM   #2619
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Just a quick head's up for everyone. My single missions have been completely redone and have been uploaded to Area 51 for when the next caldron run takes place, they are in JSGME form also.
Got 'em... and there's a 710_SubSchMod.7z in there also, with the "new" SubmarineSchool folder and missions. Just tweaked a little bit to work...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-16, 02:13 PM   #2620
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Got 'em... and there's a 710_SubSchMod.7z in there also, with the "new" SubmarineSchool folder and missions. Just tweaked a little bit to work...

Before you install them if you use the JSGME, I would delete the single missions folder already in 0.29. just a thought.

Old 11-16-16, 02:22 PM   #2621
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Taking notes for future assembly of 0.30!
Old 11-16-16, 02:28 PM   #2622
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

What's the status of the Tambor 198 missions? Do we include them with the core mod or as part of a mission plugin?
Old 11-16-16, 03:37 PM   #2623
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
What's the status of the Tambor 198 missions? Do we include them with the core mod or as part of a mission plugin?

I don't know what if anything pb has done with those missions, are we sure that they will work with FOTRSU? Of course, I suppose that I can adapt them for FOTRSU just as I've done with my latest missions. then they could be added to the core mod for sure. Those missions were made with TMO+RSRDC, but they can be adapted.

Old 11-16-16, 04:02 PM   #2624
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I don't know what if anything pb has done with those missions, are we sure that they will work with FOTRSU? Of course, I suppose that I can adapt them for FOTRSU just as I've done with my latest missions. then they could be added to the core mod for sure. Those missions were made with TMO+RSRDC, but they can be adapted.
Excellent. I wouldn't want to go without those! For the uninitiated, Tambor198 is mild-mannered cdrsubron7 when he takes off his glasses and jacket in a phone booth. Yikes! I'm dating myself again.
Old 11-16-16, 04:14 PM   #2625
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Excellent. I wouldn't want to go without those! For the uninitiated, Tambor198 is mild-mannered cdrsubron7 when he takes off his glasses and jacket in a phone booth. Yikes! I'm dating myself again.
Right, when I take off my glasses and jacket I look like a naked cdrsubron7. No comments from you, pb.