SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-15, 11:31 PM   #3286
Griphos
Watch

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

Thanks for this mod. I'm finally ready to give SH5 a try (after playing a lot of the original SH and SH3 years ago).

I've read the FAQ, but not all 200+ pages of this thread. I have an install updated to 1.2 which I've started, but have not done anything else, including not yet starting a campaign, which I realize I need to do before following all the steps of the mod install.

My question is can I do the tutorials before installing the mod? It's been a while since I've done any SH, and I was thinking the tutorials would be helpful. But I'd rather not have to uninstall and reinstall SH5 if doing the tutorials will make installing the mod unstable.

Last edited by Griphos; 12-06-15 at 03:08 PM.
Griphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 06:48 AM   #3287
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Hehe, bunker is not reported anymore like "warship" both by watch crew and hydrophone... Here's how, but don't ask me why... (probably because if all values are 0, the game will register it as 100% of rpm, engine pwr and speed, and therefore report it like "contact, moving fast"...)

Good news

...but I don't quite get you. Going by what you are stating, max_speed should be set to some high value, not 0 as seen in the picture above
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 07:11 AM   #3288
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Good news

...but I don't quite get you. Going by what you are stating, max_speed should be set to some high value, not 0 as seen in the picture above
Yes but, if max speed is set to 30 or something , this will result in slight unit motion even if unit is docked.
You gotta love SH "reality"...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 07:24 AM   #3289
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes but, if max speed is set to 30 or something , this will result in slight unit motion even if unit is docked.
You gotta love SH "reality"...
Without propeller? with max speed set to 0 in cfg file?

P.S: don't miss my answer to your questions about aircraft spawning, in OHII's thread
Old 12-06-15, 12:48 PM   #3290
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Without propeller? with max speed set to 0 in cfg file?
Well yeah, ships or submarines cfg files never had anyhing to do with actual unit performances. Those are just entries for GUI commands, recognition manual values ect...I't is all about "sim" file...I thought you knew that?
Quote:
P.S: don't miss my answer to your questions about aircraft spawning, in OHII's thread

Last edited by vdr1981; 12-06-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-06-15, 01:05 PM   #3291
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Well yeah, ships or submarines cfg files never had anyhing to do with actual unit performances. Those are just entries for GUI commands, recognition manual values ect...I't is all about "sim" file...I thought you knew that?
Are you absolutely sure about that? I always wondered the same, but there are some values there, like AI submarines' depths, telegraph speed ratios, etc, which aren't found anywhere else in game files..
Old 12-06-15, 01:09 PM   #3292
gap
Navy Seal

I am now importing the reworked platforms in game. So far I have the following shapes:

round
round big
square
square big
rectangular
V-shaped
U-shaped

Which ones do you think are gonna be of any use to you?
Old 12-06-15, 01:50 PM   #3293
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Are you absolutely sure about that? I always wondered the same, but there are some values there, like AI submarines' depths, telegraph speed ratios, etc, which aren't found anywhere else in game files..
Pretty much sure, yeah... For example, SurfaceDepth=4 in submarine.cfg is not there to define how deep will your sub lay in the water when surfaced. It is just depth commanded when you click "surface" GUI command. Submarine surface depth is defined in it's sim file (surface draught).
Ships displacement from cfg files are only there for our scored tonnage calculations and rec.manual. If you set 20.000 for fishing boat in it's cfg file, units will still behave the same, but destroy few of them and you'll become new tonnage king ect ect... This is all easy to test...
Quote:
I am now importing the reworked platforms in game. So far I have the following shapes:

round
round big
square
square big
rectangular
V-shaped
U-shaped

Which ones do you think are gonna be of any use to you?
All of them ! Although I haven't saw much use of large round platform, even though I asked for it...
Old 12-06-15, 02:36 PM   #3294
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Pretty much sure, yeah... For example, SurfaceDepth=4 in submarine.cfg is not there to define how deep will your sub lay in the water when surfaced. It is just depth commanded when you click "surface" GUI command. Submarine surface depth is defined in it's sim file (surface draught).
Ships displacement from cfg files are only there for our scored tonnage calculations and rec.manual. If you set 20.000 for fishing boat in it's cfg file, units will still behave the same, but destroy few of them and you'll become new tonnage king ect ect... This is all easy to test...
Yep, of course I am aware about the parameters in your examples, but take aircraft MaxRange for instance (which brings us to the discussion on aircraft spawning in mid-Atlantic). Nowhere else is found a similar parameter, and the cfg file setting must affect aircraft behaviour (at least I hope so!). The same goes for submarine's StormConditions and gun crews...
That's why I asked you if you are sure that ships' MaxSpeed parameter is only for recognition manual reference. To be honest I hoped it to overseed the max speed set in cfg file, as I planned to set up some stand-in units with different speeds that their parent unit...

Quote:
All of them ! Although I haven't saw much use of large round platform, even though I asked for it...

Okay, but when you finish your work on the bunkers, remember to remove the unused platforms from the game. Even though the number of possible bone/node ID's is huge (to be exact, we have 18,446,744,073,709,552,000 possible unique ID's) there is an infinitesimal chance of the same ID being used more than once, and we don't want to take this risk with stuff we don't actually need
Old 12-06-15, 02:43 PM   #3295
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 77
Default Destroyed Marks??

So sometime I get Destroyed Marks ...sometime I don't. But even when I do get them.....they don't stay from save to save. If I do a save/reload I'll only get the ships I sunk on the last save or nothing.

Right now I don't get them real time at all. What's going on? I need these marks!! lol
finchOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 03:21 PM   #3296
Griphos
Watch

Also, in addition to my question above, the Patch 14 has an odd file structure.

Do I copy all of these into the game folder, or the MODS folder. If the former, then some game data will be overwritten. If the latter, then the MODS folder will have its own MODS subfolder and that doesn't seem right, particularly since there is a further embedded Wind and Smoke mod in the Real Navigation mod inside this folder. A little help here please? Couldn't find any info in the thread.
Old 12-06-15, 05:29 PM   #3297
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yep, of course I am aware about the parameters in your examples, but take aircraft MaxRange for instance (which brings us to the discussion on aircraft spawning in mid-Atlantic). Nowhere else is found a similar parameter, and the cfg file setting must affect aircraft behaviour (at least I hope so!). The same goes for submarine's StormConditions and gun crews...
That's why I asked you if you are sure that ships' MaxSpeed parameter is only for recognition manual reference. To be honest I hoped it to overseed the max speed set in cfg file, as I planned to set up some stand-in units with different speeds that their parent unit...
Max cfg speed is indeed max speed which can be set in ME for that particular unit, but I think that true max speed ingame (like when unit has been"scared" and punch the throttle) is still drawn from sim file.
Not sure about planes cfg files though...
I may be wrong however, but luckily, this is easy to test...

Quote:

Okay, but when you finish your work on the bunkers, remember to remove the unused platforms from the game. Even though the number of possible bone/node ID's is huge (to be exact, we have 18,446,744,073,709,552,000 possible unique ID's) there is an infinitesimal chance of the same ID being used more than once, and we don't want to take this risk with stuff we don't actually need
No problemo!
Old 12-06-15, 05:39 PM   #3298
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphos View Post
My question is can I do the tutorials before installing the mod? It's been a while since I've done any SH, and I was thinking the tutorials would be helpful. But I'd rather not have to uninstall and reinstall SH5 if doing the tutorials will make installing the mod unstable.
You can play stock tutorial before you have enabled the modpack, but you will hardly learn anything from it. It's just arcade tutorial for arcade stock game. However, the Wolf bite will transform it for good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchOU View Post
So sometime I get Destroyed Marks ...sometime I don't. But even when I do get them.....they don't stay from save to save. If I do a save/reload I'll only get the ships I sunk on the last save or nothing.

Right now I don't get them real time at all. What's going on? I need these marks!! lol
From what I know TDW new destroyed marks can not be saved. There's few options in OFEV , maybe you should explore/test them. Ship journal is there also ect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphos View Post
Also, in addition to my question above, the Patch 14 has an odd file structure.

Do I copy all of these into the game folder, or the MODS folder. If the former, then some game data will be overwritten. If the latter, then the MODS folder will have its own MODS subfolder and that doesn't seem right, particularly since there is a further embedded Wind and Smoke mod in the Real Navigation mod inside this folder. A little help here please? Couldn't find any info in the thread.
There's video tutorial in the first post mate...Main game folder certainly can not be MODS folder...
Old 12-06-15, 05:45 PM   #3299
Griphos
Watch

Don't I feel foolish?! I'd actually already started watching that video tutorial and then stopped as I hadn't decided to use this mod for sure yet. I guess I've just done too much reading and downloading over the past few days and totally spaced it. And looking at the post again earlier, I somehow missed that link at the bottom.

I'll skip the in game tutorials then. I'll just start a campaign and exit and follow the procedure you outline in the first post from there. Looking forward to it.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-15, 06:05 PM   #3300
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

100 manual saves made with TWOS since starting on 13th July 2015.
No problems at all, absolutely brilliant.
Now on my 1st patrol in Happy Times.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote