SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-17, 01:01 PM   #4051
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator857 View Post
Where's Area 51? ; p

Jack
That's a secret.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 01:03 PM   #4052
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Is there a .54 public release? Or, can .53 testers DL the .55(from where)?
Old 03-05-17, 01:03 PM   #4053
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicheBach View Post
Is overwriting sufficient or does it need to be an uninstall / reinstall?

Uninstall and reinstall usually woks better.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 01:17 PM   #4054
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Downloads: 290
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
That's a secret.
I know that silly. Was wondering how the testers were gonna test it if it were secret.

Jack
Navigator857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 02:14 PM   #4055
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator857 View Post
I know that silly. Was wondering how the testers were gonna test it if it were secret.

Jack
^Good point old boy, I'll leave it to the FOTRSU modders to give us an answer.
Old 03-05-17, 02:59 PM   #4056
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
In this version the Aleutians S-boat campaign takes on real substance. The Scurvy fixes are amazing. And when you center the rudder the voice still says "Rudder amidships!" That alone should make FOTRSU the default mod of Silent Hunter 4.
... and we do need some comments on the start and end time of that Alaskan Campaign. I think it's too long the way I've got it now, probably starting too early (April 12, 1942 when the flotilla was complete), and I let it go until December 31, 1942 (when the last "S" boat left). Pickings are slim initially, and then ya gotta travel so far to get to the Kuril Islands... Lot's of comments please! CapnScurvy's stuff is really nice, other than the fact that we no longer get a set speed repeat, so if you ask for Ahead Full, you'll get a "Yes Sir!", but no "Ahead Full". But it is definitely better than three "Yes Sir!" repeats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Is there a .54 public release? Or, can .53 testers DL the .55(from where)?
The 54 that was going public turned sour in the pot of RR yesterday, so new mix, v55 will be available shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
^Good point old boy, I'll leave it to the FOTRSU modders to give us an answer.
We definitely don't want to pee in your pot with a bad batch, so we're taking a quick gander to make sure this one does OK... so far, mostly so good...

s7rikeback, we seem to still have our old "friends" at Brisbane though:

Brisbane, January 1942, and here's our old issue back to haunt us again...

... but underneath, nothing really to show an issue... except the weeds, unless it bounced off that rock... ??

Then the very next start in June of '42, and no issue

... underneath doesn't look much different than before

The one thing about that, the ships shouldn't "move" from their spawn spot, so why the difference between January and June? Also, why do ships need the depth of their draught below them to not have issues?... this reminds me of issues with airplanes...

Of course, the other side at Penang has its issues also...

We have not been working on this side of the mod, other than to change ship calls so that you can play the Uboats if you wanted to. This comes about from setting an RGG spawn too close to the dock, thinking that the average vessel will be a Fast Freight merchant, and then this long-tail whaler gets called instead...

Other than issues like this, which are all in Harbors where most people do not start, the only "problem" might be the SpecOps missions (and that's not really a problem). When I was noodling this morning, it still seemed like about half of the missions out of Pearl were Inserts and such. 'Course, I'm just testing the "starts" right now, so I've not tried to complete a mission yet. Well, I'd better get back to testing so we can get this to you guys...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 04:00 PM   #4057
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
SHO

Thank you all for your Hard Work on this Silent Hunter 4 is the Best because of all the Energy you have put into it .
Old 03-05-17, 04:21 PM   #4058
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1108
Uploads: 10

Default Oh Joy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... and we do need some comments on the start and end time of that Alaskan Campaign. I think it's too long the way I've got it now, probably starting too early (April 12, 1942 when the flotilla was complete), and I let it go until December 31, 1942 (when the last "S" boat left). Pickings are slim initially, and then ya gotta travel so far to get to the Kuril Islands... Lot's of comments please! CapnScurvy's stuff is really nice, other than the fact that we no longer get a set speed repeat, so if you ask for Ahead Full, you'll get a "Yes Sir!", but no "Ahead Full". But it is definitely better than three "Yes Sir!" repeats...

The 54 that was going public turned sour in the pot of RR yesterday, so new mix, v55 will be available shortly.

We definitely don't want to pee in your pot with a bad batch, so we're taking a quick gander to make sure this one does OK... so far, mostly so good...

s7rikeback, we seem to still have our old "friends" at Brisbane though:

Brisbane, January 1942, and here's our old issue back to haunt us again...

... but underneath, nothing really to show an issue... except the weeds, unless it bounced off that rock... ??

Then the very next start in June of '42, and no issue

... underneath doesn't look much different than before

The one thing about that, the ships shouldn't "move" from their spawn spot, so why the difference between January and June? Also, why do ships need the depth of their draught below them to not have issues?... this reminds me of issues with airplanes...

Of course, the other side at Penang has its issues also...

We have not been working on this side of the mod, other than to change ship calls so that you can play the Uboats if you wanted to. This comes about from setting an RGG spawn too close to the dock, thinking that the average vessel will be a Fast Freight merchant, and then this long-tail whaler gets called instead...

Other than issues like this, which are all in Harbors where most people do not start, the only "problem" might be the SpecOps missions (and that's not really a problem). When I was noodling this morning, it still seemed like about half of the missions out of Pearl were Inserts and such. 'Course, I'm just testing the "starts" right now, so I've not tried to complete a mission yet. Well, I'd better get back to testing so we can get this to you guys...
Thought we had lost this issue, ok I'll take another look at the models..
Perhaps the height of the Pensacola below the waterlline is the issue.

Perhaps she has a false bottom, hidden equipment perhaps and something to do with dates ?

Massive clutching at straws here..
Old 03-05-17, 05:19 PM   #4059
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi CS
Thank you for taking the time to explain things with the picture.

My game is in D:\games\Silent Hunter 4
My system has 16gb of Ram
LAA version 2.0.4.0
LAA is installed in D:\games
Picture 1

Picture 2 Opening the application.

Picture 3 In Mode Basic
Using the Browse to select the SH4.exe

Picture 4 I tick the box in Step 2
Save Step 3

Picture 5 Confirms that this has been updated successfully.

Picture 6
Now go to > Mode > Advanced > Options > Load previous file.
Shows as false!

Am I doing something wrong ?
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 05:55 PM   #4060
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Thank you guys for all that you do. Waiting for the next build release. Please keep safe.

Jack
Old 03-05-17, 06:31 PM   #4061
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi CS
Thank you for taking the time to explain things with the picture

Peter
Have you checked the properties of the SH4.exe file there THEBERBSTER? Right-click on the SH4.exe file, choose "Properties" at the bottom of the context menu, and in the resultant pop-up, on the "General" tab, toward the bottom is the "Attributes" section. Make sure that the "Read-only" box is un-checked, so that the LAA can actually write to the file, and not think that it has, but hasn't...

... and thank you Navigator857, for the team. Just to let you know, we'll have to let RR "patch" the poor thing, since someone on the Campaign side of things (ahem - me ) put a bum mission file in there... The fix is up there now, so hopefully RR can get himself some free time to do that tonight. Just a bit more patience please...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 06:53 PM   #4062
THEBERBSTER

Hi pb
Yes, that was the problem showing read only.
Thank you very much for that.
Peter
Old 03-05-17, 07:04 PM   #4063
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Okees, have waited several hours here in central Florida for a test build link but must move on with work in the morning. Good luck and stay safe all.

Jack
Old 03-05-17, 07:10 PM   #4064
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER
Now go to > Mode > Advanced > Options > Load previous file.
Shows as false!

Well, its not working correctly.

As propbeanie points out, the "Properties" page of the games sh4.exe needs its "Attributes" shown with the "Read Only" unchecked:

You need to open the main game folder and find the "sh4.exe" file. Right clicking it will produce the "Properties" page above. Your's will look a bit different....this is on my Windows XP system. Toward the bottom of the page you'll find the "Attributes" section. Make sure the "Read only" box is unchecked. If it isn't, uncheck it, click "Apply", then "Ok" to leave the page. Try following the same steps you outlined again to see if the "True" appears in the LAA "Advanced" mode.

A couple of other things, you haven't mentioned which OS are you using? AND, is it 32 bit, or 64 bit? I'm going to check if your download is the LAA you should be using. There are two different LAA's that work with specific OS software...you may be using the wrong one.

The only other thing that might be an issue is the .NetFramework edition your computer has. LAA needs the proper version of .NetFramework to work as expected, if you have the wrong version LAA may not work at all.

I copied these couple of paragraphs/images from my "Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" to help if we need to get this far:

=======

First, you need to set up your games .exe (execution) file to have changes made to it. By going to your "main" game folder, find the file called "sh4.exe" and right click it. A menu list pops up, left click the "Properties" heading, the following menu appears:

By default the game set's the "Attributes:" to "Read-only". Uncheck the box, then click "Apply", then "OK" to leave the "sh4.exe Properties" page. Now your ready to have LAA access your sh4.exe file. LAA will set the the flag to allow more memory to be used in-game.

Using the above link to Large Address Aware, read the introduction of what the app will do, then scroll to the bottom of the page to start the download:

For a Windows10 OS that's updated to v1607, download the "laa_2_0_4_NetFramework_4_5.zip". This version is designed to work with the NetFramework edition that's on Windows10, which should be at least version 4.5. The download on the left, "laa_2_0_4.zip" is used for the older systems that only have NetFramework 3.5 or below.

=======

If we need to, I'll get into finding out what .NetFramework version your computer has. But for now, lets see what you get with the above instructions.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 11:33 AM   #4065
THEBERBSTER

Hi Guys
Thank you once again for all your help and everything is as it should be.
The SH4.exe unlike SH3 and SH5 is read only which caught me out.
Peter