SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-29-17, 06:46 PM   #91
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Having been in a shipyard or two in my life. In my experience the shipyard does the work. But select government representatives of the ships chain of command ensure its being done according to contract specification and they have the final say whether it is done right or not.

I find it hard for anyone but the Argentine government to accept full responsibility for the destruction of this boat.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 06:58 PM   #92
TomcatMVD
Weps

Downloads: 7

I read news reports that this particular submarine was overhauled in a local shipyard, which is why they made such a big deal out of it when it happened. I think, if I got my facts straight, that the re-fitting operation taking place in Germany was actually a modernization of the sub's sensors and equipment, and not the aforementioned overhaul. I also heard a former head of the shipyard explaining how this sub's batteries were actually "recycled" and not replaced. There is a technical term for it but I don't know what it is, but basically if the outer shell of the batteries is deemed in good condition, then they just change the chemical components without actually removing and installing new batteries.

I just found this video, which was actually published back when the actual overhaul was taking place. Below you'll find my attempt at translating what the narrator says:

After 2 years, Argentina regained a strategic capability, that of repairing submarines.An activity that was devastated during prior administrations.

Nowadays, in CINAR installations, the ARA San Juan’s state is being reverted. One of 3 active members of the Argentine navy submarine force, together with its twins, the ARA Santa Cruz and ARA Salta, The ARA San Juan sailed for the first time on June of 1983. Almost 2 years ago it arrived to our shops to begin what is known as “mid-life repairs”, a key maintenance effort which is the only time when the sub is cut in half, disassembled, fixed, and put together again through welding, the precision of which admits no errors.

The situation of the ship required this intervention to improve its navigation quality, deteriorated by hydrogen emissions from its batteries, which endangered its crew, and the submarine itself.

This event is a milestone for Argentina’s naval industry history. For this titanic task, CINAR joined forces with INTI (don’t know what this is) and Argentine’s navy. Almost 2 years after being dry docked, the ARA San Juan is at a decisive stage, and all processes necessary for its final readiness are being accomplished. It marks the return of a giant of the seas which contributes to safeguard national sovereignty.

CINAR can confirm that Argentine Navy will be able to count again on one of its maritime insignias, and above all, ratify the national government’s decision of recovering Argentina’s naval industry.
Old 11-29-17, 09:33 PM   #93
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatMVD View Post
...CINAR joined forces with INTI (don’t know what this is) and Argentine’s navy.
Maybe this?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
The National Industrial Technology Institute (Spanish: Instituto Nacional de Tecnología Industrial), commonly known as INTI, is an Argentine federal agency in charge of the developing of Industrial technology. It was created in 1957.
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 07:36 AM   #94
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatMVD View Post
I also heard a former head of the shipyard explaining how this sub's batteries were actually "recycled" and not replaced. There is a technical term for it but I don't know what it is, but basically if the outer shell of the batteries is deemed in good condition, then they just change the chemical components without actually removing and installing new batteries.
Not sure if this is correct one, but atleast in case of marin diesel engines the process is known as "rebuilding". In practice you disasseble the engine, repair and replace components as necessary and then reasseble it.
Old 11-30-17, 02:27 PM   #95
damiancag
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 28

Las palabras no alcanzan para describir la tristeza de perder a 44 hermanos y una nave que recorrió tantos kilómetros, tubo tantas historias para contar y ahora este sola en la oscuridad de las profundidades espero con ansiedad que vuelvas alguna ves a puerto...
damiancag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 02:33 PM   #96
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiancag View Post
Las palabras no alcanzan para describir la tristeza de perder a 44 hermanos y una nave que recorrió tantos kilómetros, tubo tantas historias para contar y ahora este sola en la oscuridad de las profundidades espero con ansiedad que vuelvas alguna ves a puerto...
Could you post this again in English?
Old 11-30-17, 02:36 PM   #97
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznyi_oktjabr View Post
Could you post this again in English?
according to copy paste in google translate:

Words are not enough to describe the sadness of losing 44 brothers and a ship that traveled so many kilometers, I have so many stories to tell and now this alone in the darkness of the depths I am looking forward to returning to port sometime ...
Old 11-30-17, 02:37 PM   #98
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Google Translate makes sense enough.

Quote:
The words are not enough to describe the sadness of losing 44 brothers and a ship that traveled so many kilometers, I have so many stories to tell and now I am alone in the darkness of the depths, I look forward to returning to port sometime ...
EDIT: Ninja'd by GoldenRivet.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 05:21 PM   #99
TomcatMVD
Weps

Officially no longer a rescue mission. Search for the vessel continues. RIP

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-17, 05:24 PM   #100
TomcatMVD
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
according to copy paste in google translate:

Words are not enough to describe the sadness of losing 44 brothers and a ship that traveled so many kilometers, it had so many stories to tell and now sits alone in the darkness of the depths I am looking forward to its return to port sometime ...
Fixed the last part. It actually refers to the boat and not the person speaking.

Old 11-30-17, 07:43 PM   #101
CapitanPiluso
Forum Captain

Downloads: 22

Recien cuando se encuentre el submarino y se investigue se va a poder saber que ocurrio realmente.
Todo lo que se diga ahora son meras especulaciones,y deberiamos dejar de opinar por respeto a las victimas y sus familias.

My DW pics :https://goo.gl/photos/5gBN7WFntLBSAsc17

My SSM2007 pics :https://goo.gl/photos/1Fa6GaEom28AZuc57
CapitanPiluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 09:38 PM   #102
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanPiluso View Post
Recien cuando se encuentre el submarino y se investigue se va a poder saber que ocurrio realmente.
Todo lo que se diga ahora son meras especulaciones,y deberiamos dejar de opinar por respeto a las victimas y sus familias.

"Only when the submarine is found and investigated will it be possible to know what really happened.
Everything that is said now is mere speculation, and we should stop saying it out of respect for the victims and their families."

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 10:10 PM   #103
TomcatMVD
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanPiluso View Post
No se está especulando. Fue oficialmente anunciado que ya no es una misión de rescate. Los pensamientos de todos nosotros están con la tripulacióny sus familias.

We're not speculating. It was officially announced that the operation is no longer a rescue one. Our thoughts are with the crew and their families.

Last edited by TomcatMVD; 12-01-17 at 07:36 AM.
TomcatMVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 05:02 AM   #104
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Looks like GUGI is aiding the search efforts.
Old 12-01-17, 07:24 AM   #105
gambla
Gunner

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

"Only when the submarine is found and investigated will it be possible to know what really happened.
Everything that is said now is mere speculation, and we should stop saying it out of respect for the victims and their families."
this and nothing else, I hate to see starting the fingerpointing now

Tags
argentine navy, argentine submarine, rescue