SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-29-17, 03:07 PM   #1
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0
Default Location Mods - Mapping

Living as I do in the civilised part of the world (sic) - I could do with a temp marker on the nav map when I get a signal telling me that the Jap Fleet is currently between X and Y, engaging US ships. I have just had one which I think was in The Gilbert Islands, as I was at the time, and no indication of 'where' this is??? I went home instead .............. I am using FJB's colour map.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 05:55 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Most of that is just "immersive" stuff. Did the report give you latitude and longitude coordinates? If not, then it may just have been a "news" report that comes over the radio, but will show sometimes (depending upon "importance) in the text box, or might show as a "radio report" in the text box, but not slow down the TC you're using at the time. The really "important" stuff will drop your TC down. If you're receiving a report of a convoy of some form, you might have to "zoom" out some on the map, to maybe see a game icon for a convoy (maybe simulating "Ultra"), which you could then zoom back in on, and place a pencil mark by. Unfortunately, the game does not allow us to attach notes of any sort to any of the maps for later referral. I used to try to "track" stuff like that on a notepad that I kept next to me while playing, but since most of those are too far away to bother with in a timely, fuel-efficient manner, I ignore most of that "chatter". If it's not within a short travel from where I am / going, I don't change course or speed from my "mission", until after my "primary".

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 08:02 PM   #3
Red Devil
The Old Man

I was actually in the Caroline Islands and a radio report came in that a fleet v fleet was at it between ????? and New Ireland, I have forgotten now; there are zero points of reference and zero lat and long. Thats no use to anyone.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 12-29-17, 08:06 PM   #4
Red Devil
The Old Man

After c hecking with google maps, apparently it was somewhere in the region of papua new guinea, which incidently, has been spelt wrong on the map since day 1.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk