Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-17, 04:29 PM   #1771
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 08-25-17, 04:44 PM   #1772
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Well, I can't find a good "original" version of this, but these guys ain't half-bad:

this is the version our band copied from anyway... surprisingly, we didn't sound quite this good... ahem.
Here is the original by The Righteous Brothers, produced and co-written by Phil Spector and recorded at Gold Star Studios, which used to stand about 3 blocks from my home...

There may be a very good reason your band's version "didn't sound quite this good". The Spector "Wall Of Sound" production style was less of a recording session than a construction site. This is from the Wikipedia entry on the song:

Quote:

The Righteous Brothers original version

The song was recorded at Studio A of Gold Star Studios in Los Angeles. When Hatfield and Medley went to record the vocals a few weeks after the song was written, all the instrumental tracks had already been recorded and overdubbed. They would repeat recording the vocal many times - Medley would sing the opening verse over and over again until Spector was satisfied, then the process would be repeated with the next verse. The recording took over 39 takes, and around eight hours over a period of two days.

The song would become one of the foremost examples of Spector's "Wall of Sound" technique. It features the studio musicians the Wrecking Crew, included for this recording were Don Randi on piano, Tommy Tedesco on guitar, Carol Kaye and Ray Pohlman on bass, and Steve Douglas on sax. They were also joined by Barney Kessel on guitar and Earl Palmer on drums for this session. Jack Nitzsche usually arranged the songs for Spector but he was absent, and the arrangement for this song was done by Gene Page. As with his other songs, Spector started by cutting the instrumental track first, building up layers of sound to create the Wall of Sound effect. The recording was done mono so Spector could fix the sound exactly as he wanted it. According to sound engineer Larry Levine, they started recording four acoustic guitars, when that was ready, they added the pianos, of which there were three, followed by three basses, the horns (two trumpets, two trombones, and three saxophones), then finally the drums. The vocals by Hatfield and Medley were then recorded and the strings overdubbed. The background singers were mainly the vocal group The Blossoms, also joining in the song's crescendo was a young Cher. Reverb was applied in the recording, and more was added on the lead vocals during the mix. According to music writer Robert Palmer, the effect of the technique used was to create a sound that was "deliberately blurry, atmospheric, and of course huge; Wagnerian rock 'n' roll with all the trimmings."

The "Loving Feeling" recording session is legendary, standing among other Spector productions, such as Ike & Tina Turner's "River Deep, Mountain High" session. It's too bad such a great record producing talent was contained in such a horrid man...

...although, Phil Spector was personally responsible for me getting my bar tending job back in the mid 70s...

<O>
Old 08-25-17, 04:55 PM   #1773
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Distant childhood memories
Old 08-25-17, 05:28 PM   #1774
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Did not know he died this year
May you rest in peace.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 08-25-17, 10:49 PM   #1775
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58
Icon9

Homage to a great man, sadly mostly remembered these days for "war mongering".

"Boney was a Warrior" - Goats yes goats ( Sea s/chanty cover ).

More violence :-

"Rome ( Roam actually ) The B52s.

Dedicated to the "Barbarians" who in many instances were the actual "Good Guys".

Old 08-26-17, 05:18 AM   #1776
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Default Leo Sayer - Thunder In My Heart

Marie Curie

Old 08-26-17, 08:18 AM   #1777
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 08-26-17, 07:20 PM   #1778
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 443
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
... There may be a very good reason your band's version "didn't sound quite this good". The Spector "Wall Of Sound" production style was less of a recording session than a construction site. This is from the Wikipedia entry on the song:

The "Loving Feeling" recording session is legendary, standing among other Spector productions, such as Ike & Tina Turner's "River Deep, Mountain High" session. It's too bad such a great record producing talent was contained in such a horrid man...
Ahh yesh, the old reliable Wall of Sound... 'course, that had nothing to do with the "skill" (or lack thereof) of our band...

the "original"

There's this other dude who has copied that Spector sound more than a little:

then he saw this girl, see?

now he picks and chooses

Why he picked them, I dunno... lots of computerized stuff going on. Excellent musicianship, but not my cup o' tea...

Everybody has to do a power trio at least once... tic |;^)

meanwhile, "Harvey" is a ward of the State of California...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online  
Old 08-27-17, 11:06 AM   #1779
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 08-27-17, 01:56 PM   #1780
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Ahh yesh, the old reliable Wall of Sound... 'course, that had nothing to do with the "skill" (or lack thereof) of our band...

the "original"

Everybody has to do a power trio at least once... tic |;^)

meanwhile, "Harvey" is a ward of the State of California...

Ah, the Ronettes... and, especially, Ronnie...

I think every male of age in the early to mid 60s lusted after Ronnie; it was too bad she wound up with Spector. In his autobiography, Keith Richards details the Stones touring with the Ronettes in the mid 60s and tells of how jealously Phil guarded Ronnie; Keith tells of how he and Ronnie would sneak off together (a story backed by Ronnie). The Beatles also toured with the Ronettes and tried to put the moves on Ronnie and the girls, but the Ronettes apparently weren't interested...

This clip is from a 1965 film called The Big T.N.T. Show, a sort of sequel to the 1964 concert film The T.A.M.I. Show. Both shows were a collection of performances by top musical acts and some of the up-and-comers of the late 50s to the early to mid 60s. The older acts were in their prime and the newer acts were harbingers new musical directions. The The Big T.N.T. Show was produced by Phil Spector, who also served as Musical Director. The backing band was comprised of the same top studio musicians who worked with Phil on his recordings, most of whom were famously known as "The Wrecking Crew". This clip is full of the energy the Ronettes generated in their live performances:

(BTW, really liking the backup dancers in the men's shirts and leotards...)...

This clip is audio only, but it gives a glimpse of a typical Spector recording session:

Playing in a trio is a great learning experience; having to handle both lead and rhythm and adapting to cover both the middle and highs as a guitarist and the lows and middle as a bassist expands one's technique and feel; drummers also benefit from having to provide fills and transitions they would not normally encounter in other lineups. I've played in a couple of trios in the past and in a few 'inadvertent' trios as can happen when the second guitarist either didn't show up or showed up incapable of playing due to over indulgences...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 08-27-17 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 02:32 PM   #1781
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

For our members in South Texas suffering from hurricane Harvey:

From the publisher on youtube:

Quote:
My mama always taught me that good things come from adversity if we put our faith in the Lord.
We couldn't see much good in the flood waters when they were causing us to leave home,
But when the water went down, we found it had washed a load of rich black bottom dirt across our land.
Advice for Houston residents and the people south of that fine city now under water:

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 08-27-17, 02:35 PM   #1782
vienna
Navy Seal

Just got this link in a Fender email newsletter with this article covering the history of the Fender Stratocaster; it has some really good clips of famed Strat players:

The History of the Stratocaster: The 1960s --

https://www.fender.com/articles/gear...ter-the-1960s/

<O>
Old 08-27-17, 02:59 PM   #1783
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Playing in a trio is a great learning experience; having to handle both lead and rhythm and adapting to cover both the middle and highs as a guitarist and the lows and middle as a bassist expands one's technique and feel; drummers also benefit from having to provide fills and transitions they would not normally encounter in other lineups. I've played in a couple of trios in the past and in a few 'inadvertent' trios as can happen when the second guitarist either didn't show up or showed up incapable of playing due to over indulgences...
Been on both sides of that, and did it for a while on purpose, playing bass. You sure do have a lot of leeway as to what is a "bass part" in a trio. Don't have to worry about "stepping on toes", that's for certain. Just keep with the kick and away you go!

Now, on to more "power trio" stuff, and "factory" songs:

they needed a little help from their friends on that one. Gotta find me a Wet Willy vid now...

Whatever possessed Brewer and Schacher to dress like that?... 'course, Farner ain't "normal" either, and it ~is~ 1974... YikeS!!!

propbeanie is online  
Old 08-27-17, 03:04 PM   #1784
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Thank you propbeanie and vienna for posting the video's of the Ronettes "Be My Baby"

She sure had energy and the whole audience was grooving and rocking and rolling too. First time I've seen her live ... she doesn't look black, uh?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 08-27-17, 03:12 PM   #1785
propbeanie

Found one:

I saw them in St. Louie when I was in high skrul, sophomore year?? They were an "opening" band, that basically stole the show from the headliner, who I can't even remember now...

propbeanie is online  
Closed Thread

Tags
music