SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-18-23, 02:03 PM   #1
david_simons40
Watch

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default Problems installing SH4 on new laptop

Calling on the more enlightened than me.

I have just splashed the cash on a new gaming laptop and have just tried to install one of my all time favourite games SH4 and have failed miserably.

The version I have is a retail PC DVD-rom which has an online key code.

So question 1. The laptop has a 2Tb hard drive which I have partitioned to give me a 1.2Gb C drive for Windows 11 and the remaining labelled H for all my installations. I recall reading somewhere that SH doesn’t like being in the root drive or is it that JSGME doesn’t like it so I tried to install on my H drive. Is this correct?

Question 2. After installation SH failed to run. I checked some of the other threads to see if there was anything noted for installing on a Windows 11 system to which there are a few problems so I accessed the exe file and under the compatibility tab changed to run as administrator and a few of the other settings regarding scaling etc. I also installed directx9 and tried to run the program in xp and vista modes. Is all this correct as still no joy

Question 3. I can’t remember the exact wording but then I got a message something like administrator blocked. Is this because the game is still installed on my old laptop and the key code for that installation is still active so that copy needs to be uninstalled before I can install on my new laptop or is it something else?

Question 4. I didn’t proceed to installing the uboat missions expansion also on a retail dvd but would this solve the problem or not.

Question5. I also tried to register the installation and use the key code to see if this helped but registration from the dvd is via internet explorer which is no longer supported and installing edge just gets me to UBisofts homepage with nothing obvious there to allow me to register. Do I need to do this?

Question 6. Can I still use the dvd or do I need to re-purchase from Steam?

So hacked off as just starting to get back into SH4 after a long absence and it still remains one of the best sub sims and dare I say PC games of all time.

Thanks for any help

David
david_simons40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-23, 08:15 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

1. Install folder is generally good, so long as you are not in the root of a drive, and NOT in a Program Files folder, or any other "protected" Windows folders. When installing to H:, I would change the path in the installation to read "H:\Games \SH4" and let it rip there.

2. Using Post 216 in "Silent Hunter 4 & Windows 10" should work fine, since Win10 and 11 are basically the same in this regard. However, you will have to experiment with those settings. You most likely will need to use "Compatibility mode" for Win7 or earlier, but NOT Win98 or earlier, of course... You will most likely need to click "Disable fullscreen optimizations". You shouldn't need "Run this program as administrator", but it almost sounds like you are not using an Administrator type User Account?? That Compatibility page causes the most trouble anymore for the Silent Hunter games, since Windows wants to "help" you so much...

3. The key code is not really an online thing at all. So long as you have entered it in a fresh install on your hard drive, you should be good to go. The game definitely wants to run in an unrestricted Administrators-type account, though some folks do not have issues with that, if they use "Administrator" on the SH4 Properties page.

4. Good choice. It will not alleviate the problem. Get the base game running first. Then do the U-Boat Missions Add-On, then delete the Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4) before running the game again.

5. Registration at Ubi with the disk version is no longer supported. Their download version does it fine, but since you probably registered years ago with it, no need to do it again. Tell the dialog "Never"...

6. You ~should~ be able to use the DVD version. One thing you could try if all else fails, is to re-do the install, but by right-clicking on the installer, and choosing "Run as administrator" on that... I cannot remember the name of the file on the disk at this time...

Good luck!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-23, 11:47 PM   #3
apislutz
Cadet

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

For the 1st question! Here's the short version: It is generally recommended to install Silent Hunter 4 (SH4) on your C drive (root drive) to avoid compatibility issues. Mods like JSGME may have specific requirements, but the base game should be on the same drive as your operating system. Uninstall the game and reinstall it on your C drive for the smoothest experience. If you need further help, feel free to ask.
apislutz is offline   Reply With Quote