SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-17, 10:32 AM   #1
PapaSmurf
Bosun

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 0
Default Something kinda cool I ran into in my career.

In single player career mode I was in the western approaches trailing a convoy in terrible weather with almost zero visibility, waiting for the weather to improve. I was out of visual range when the weather finally improved enough to make an attack so I went to 20 meters to get a hydrophone fix on the convoy. When I turned on the hydrophones and began my sweep I heard three strange sounds in my headphones. The convoy was a slow mover so I decided to try to find what was making those noises first so I surfaced and went in the direction of the strange sounds. On the way I saw a plume of smoke and when investigating found a smoking sinking cargo ship. To make a long story shorter, I went into exterior camera mode and went underwater towards the sounds and about 2km ahead of me were 3 U-boats running submerged a few hundred meters abreast of each other. This was the first time I have ran into AI U-boats outside of port and the first time I have ever seen a ship sinking that I hadn't sunk. If I have seen this I'm sure others have too but I just thought it was kinda cool to run into some friendlies on the high seas and to see they were sinking tonnage.
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 12:44 PM   #2
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

What mods are you using because I have never experienced this but I want too

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 09:51 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Nope! I ran into a damaged tanker in heavy seas in the English channel, playing unmodified, I did not see any AI U-boats though. I finished off the tanker with the deck gun but no longer recall, after three years, if I got any tonnage credit for it. Also in the Artic convoy career mode there were a few damaged cargo vessels I came across. Both incidents were in conjunction with a large convoy in proximity to my own stalking and gaining the convoy.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 03:28 PM   #4
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

With GWX3 I have seen submarines spawn with convoys...

Occasionally those subs are Uboats, and they have deck gun fights with the convoy, and usually lose... Sometimes they will hang low in water, even to the point of being, technically, "submerged". And trying to continue...

Any chance it was this?

Barracuda

P.S. AI Subs in SH3 actually doing something would be great.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 03:49 PM   #5
PapaSmurf
Bosun

Downloads: 129

I do run GWX. But as far as maybe being connected to the convoy somehow, I really don't think so just because they were quite a way from the convoy and in a completely different direction from it, as was the ship they apparently sunk. All 3 were completely submerged, but only to periscope depth I would guess, with no periscopes raised. I only found them by moving my external camera at fast speed in their general direction until I got lucky finding one, then the others were almost exactly the same distance apart. No sign at all from the surface. They were all running at high speed also which made me wonder if they keep that up forever since they were AI.
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 08:09 PM   #6
Kapt Z
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 153

Over the years I have run into a fair number of AI uboats on the open ocean. Always a happy meeting.

However, I have NEVER witnessed any AI sub(British or German) running submerged in game. Not saying it isn't possible. Just never seen it myself.

Of course, I never man the hydrophone station myself and I have the water clarity set so low I wouldn't see anything even if it was there.