SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-17, 08:52 PM   #1
Bishie2
Swabbie

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0
radar silent hunter 4 spawning ships on top of each other?

So though my any hours in SH4 I have seen ships spawn on top of each other buts its happening at times now when it crashes the game and I'm wondering why the game does this. This is what happens I get a radio report about a large convoy so I move to attack but as I'm still surfaced i get a radar contact and it shows as a large convoy. But its just one ship so i move a little closer and then i get a lot 10 radar contacts all of them on top of each other then i get a grey icon of a ship that's sunk. then a minute later the game crashes. No clue why this happens and I cant find any thing about this. I've also seen the game spawn about 20 destroyers and one passenger carrier in one area. Has anyone else seen this or does anyone know why this happens? I'm running 3 mods in JSMGE they are Pacific sound mod, Free camera mod, and Midway Career with balao 1941. if those could be causing this who knows thanks to anyone that knows anything about this
-Bishie2
Bishie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 05:45 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi B2
This spawning problem and the way ships spawn has been covered quite extensively in FOTRSU, including pictures.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 08:19 AM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

To read an exhaustive review of our fun with this see our FOTRSU thread. It's been frustrating and fascinating at the same time. We're getting close to understanding the situation.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 09:36 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yes, it starts with the "Stock" game, where they'll have an RGG (Random Generated Group) set to spawn a Generic Cargo ship near the dock at say Brisbane (one of our favorite harbors for issues - but Truk is closing fast for that distinction). The US_HarborTraffic.mis file is where the issue comes in , but also on the Japanese side, it's the Jap_HarborTraffic.mis file. Both of thsoe files run the entirety of the game, from Dec of 41 through Dec of 45. If you figure that they've set the example RGG above to spawn once every 900 hours, that comes to about 40 possible spawns at that site. The game is not supposed to spawn one ship on top of another, but... even an anchored ship "drifts" in the game a few feet at least. Therefore, the game thinks that the first spawn of the RGG has moved, and spawns another, partially into the first. That's our working theory anyway... In the meantime, in the Stock game also, is at least seven RGG that are set to spawn, and it appears that they were intended to be a docked ship, but someone left the speed set to 5 knots, but delete on last waypoint is also set to No, yet the Docked Ship is set to No... what that does is generate the RGG, which then takes off at 5 knots, traveling around the world. A new RGG is generated every 24 hours on some of these. The game doesn't draw these RGG until the player gets withing the "target" distance of approximately 20km (a bit more) and then boom, the game tries to draw all those ships by where you are, bringing the system to its knees, and eventually doing a CTD. It matters little how much RAM or how strong your cpu / vid card are... This does not happen all over the world, just in certain areas, so when you find one, make a note of it and avoid the area. If time presents itself, we might send Webster some "fixes" for those particular groups, and see if he wants to update his GFO, if he didn't already do that anyway...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
silent hunter 4 1.5