SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-20-17, 08:48 AM   #4591
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

I am ~shocked~ that there'd be "left-overs" from SH3 in the SH4 menu INI file... - btw, thus far, I've managed to absolutely "trash" your formatting... I've got partial lines, lines on the left, lines on the right, etc. Thank goodness I'm working on a copy... I think...

I've been trying to follow along with modders since SH1, DC, SH3, 4 and 5, and it wasn't until just 10 months ago when I volunteered to be a CTD (hey wait?? CTD??) that I got into actually "modding", doing some campaign stuff. I blame cdrsubron7 for all of that... He "inspired" me to get into the Mission Editor back in like 2008, in an attempt to emulate some of his SM files. I still haven't gotten there yet. But all the reading on this site, picking up a tidbit here or there, like you say, but I added in a bit more in dropping two or three tidbits from the grey matter from brain cells dying off, and just from "lack of practice". This is definitely not like riding a bicycle, in that once you learn, you never forget... - there are some aspects of what I've done last week that I don't remember. It's kind of like breakfast... over 3 hours ago... what ~did~ I have?... The worst thing is working on something last night and saving it. Wake up this morning, "what folder was that in?"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 04:37 PM   #4592
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I am ~shocked~ that there'd be "left-overs" from SH3 in the SH4 menu INI file... - btw, thus far, I've managed to absolutely "trash" your formatting... I've got partial lines, lines on the left, lines on the right, etc. Thank goodness I'm working on a copy... I think...

I've been trying to follow along with modders since SH1, DC, SH3, 4 and 5, and it wasn't until just 10 months ago when I volunteered to be a CTD (hey wait?? CTD??) that I got into actually "modding", doing some campaign stuff. I blame cdrsubron7 for all of that... He "inspired" me to get into the Mission Editor back in like 2008, in an attempt to emulate some of his SM files. I still haven't gotten there yet. But all the reading on this site, picking up a tidbit here or there, like you say, but I added in a bit more in dropping two or three tidbits from the grey matter from brain cells dying off, and just from "lack of practice". This is definitely not like riding a bicycle, in that once you learn, you never forget... - there are some aspects of what I've done last week that I don't remember. It's kind of like breakfast... over 3 hours ago... what ~did~ I have?... The worst thing is working on something last night and saving it. Wake up this morning, "what folder was that in?"...
Oh dear me, I thought it was just myself that had this problem.

I mean I work off the same 2TB drive to mod & play SH games [except sh5 gamewise]
Yet the following morning, I've lost all the work or tonnage...

I have a strange habit of saving mods to desktop only on multiple systems and then scream / worry that I've lost em...

Save games stay local, but i forget to copy them over to USB drive to play elsewhere... GRRR

Now must remember "USB drive is mobile"
Old 05-20-17, 05:54 PM   #4593
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
As the tutorial from zAmboni states, there are lines in the menu_1024_768.ini file that were used in SHIII, yet when they switched to SH4 using the same file, some of those lines are not used at all....and others were added!!??

This was the single biggest issue when i was trying to tweak SH4, was figuring out which entry controlled which item.

And more annoyingly, what determined which item used which entry.

If that was confusing, then you know exactly where I was.
Put it on hold to get other games working...

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 06:21 PM   #4594
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

~cough~ there's nothin to see in the Data > Menu > Gui > Layout folder...
Old 05-20-17, 10:12 PM   #4595
propbeanie

Old 05-21-17, 05:24 AM   #4596
Shaefer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 150

I just installed this modpack with the mod enabler, and all seems to be working fine.
# I did not use the MultiSH4 stuff because I plan to stick to one game save.
# I read somewhere that I have to enable 16X9 resolution from the support folder, did not find it. Seems to be allright though.
# Large Adress Aware. Do I need to do something with this? EDIT: I did this, following this guide. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...35#post2452635

Is there some tweaks, or something else I need to do before embarking on my first patrol?

Thank you.
15% Skill.

"Submarine life most of the time is hours and hours of boredom with intermittent terror thrown in to keep you on your toes!"

Last edited by Shaefer; 05-21-17 at 05:45 AM.
Shaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 06:33 AM   #4597
propbeanie

CapnScurvy's guide there is very clear and concise. The reason we've included it in the mod's package is due to FotRSU being rather memory intensive as it runs, not just because of being a large install. I'm not sure how the game works as far as what file loads when and all that, but it definitely work better with LAA or some other similar app. You cannot run the Museum in-game usually unless you have the RAM "opened" for use in the SH4.exe file.

Most folks (me included) will get all their user settings just the way they like them in the Options menu of the game, then go out on patrol and not have them set to anything near what was put in from the menu. Just be sure you click on the picture of the radio in the Office prior to clicking on the map to get your assignment and depart. That's where the Campaign's settings are. You can "modify" what your boat's settings are from what your Easy or Normal or Hard choice was from the initial Career Start when you chose when and where to start with whichever boat. Also check your crew by clicking on the desk sub model, and be sure you've got who you want in your crew, assigned to where you want them. You want folks good with guns and watchmen on your deck watch crew... be sure all the gun crew slots are filled... that kind of thang...

The BIGGEST thing - have fun! Try to keep track of the date as you go, and if you run into something that you think as "odd", be sure and let us know so that we can change it, if need be or possible.

Old 05-22-17, 08:41 AM   #4598
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

As a followup to understanding the menu_1024_768.ini file, Karamazovnew has another piece to chew on, found HERE. His piece fills in the question of what zAmboni didn't know regarding the two figures found here:

Zone= 362 534 300 300 0(SCALE) 0(PIVOT) 0x26000000 0.5 -0.5 0x261000011 -0.5 0.5 0 0 ........what Karamazovnew calls "Scale" and "Pivot".

Drill down this thread to his reply #7 Resolution scaling as another chapter in your schooling of the menu_1024_768 file.

================

As another update on my progress with Fotrs Ultimate's Beta's next version beyond v0.56..............I'm still working on it. I've spent 4 to 6 hours daily working on completing my radar changes. It's not easy breaking new ground with files that are little known. The real problem is getting something to work like the rest of the game when the game doesn't recognize what that something is. Its happening, but having 11 different subs that don't all work the same is putting problems into the mix. Each have to be modified separately, then tested with a game that takes minutes to load each and every time you start. Just a lot of time expended.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 08:56 AM   #4599
propbeanie

Thanks for the link CapnScurvy. I really do appreciate that. I also really appreciate the effort involved just in the waiting for the loading of the game so that you can "test" what you did, potentially having errors and or crashing with no hint of why (except it's in the last edit - hopefully )...
Re-do and try again. Lather, rinse, repeat... ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Old 05-22-17, 03:56 PM   #4600
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6
Default Single Missions and War Patrol Problems

I finally got around to installing Fall of the Rising Sun v0.56 to the mods folder and enabling it. I wanted to try out single missions or war patrols first.
I do not see the missions with the following syntaxes,
FOTRSUC7*Letter and Number_****Mission name**** folders
Example:
FOTRSUC7AL01_Aleutians Gauntlet.

I do not see the single patrols listed under the war patrol options with the following syntaxes,
Aleutians_Date_**Submarine Name or type** folders
Example:
Aleutians_420612_S-28

Can it be because of the very long folder name, and very long **.mis and

very long **.tsr names and very long **.tga name (for patrol) that SH4 does not see these folder/filenames at all?
There are other single missions or war partrol picks to choose from though.

My
Fall of the Rising Sun v0.56 is not corrupt since I downloaded the mod package twice. The file and folder structures are the same for both.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 05:28 PM   #4601
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike47 View Post
I finally got around to installing Fall of the Rising Sun v0.56 to the mods folder and enabling it. I wanted to try out single missions or war patrols first.
I do not see the missions with the following syntaxes,
FOTRSUC7*Letter and Number_****Mission name**** folders
Example:
FOTRSUC7AL01_Aleutians Gauntlet.

I do not see the single patrols listed under the war patrol options with the following syntaxes,
Aleutians_Date_**Submarine Name or type** folders
Example:
Aleutians_420612_S-28

Can it be because of the very long folder name, and very long **.mis and

very long **.tsr names and very long **.tga name (for patrol) that SH4 does not see these folder/filenames at all?
There are other single missions or war partrol picks to choose from though.

My
Fall of the Rising Sun v0.56 is not corrupt since I downloaded the mod package twice. The file and folder structures are the same for both.
Since you're asking about the single missions and war patrols, that's in my ballpark. The main reason you probably don't see and war patrol missions is because they have not been added to the Beta version. I've still been doing some work on them. They probably will be released in the next release of the newest Beta version, when I'm happy with the results.

I can't say what is the problem with the single missions and why they are not showing up in your install. I can assure that they work perfectly fine in my install of 0.56. Maybe if you could show me a screenie of the single mission folder I might be able to see something that might be wrong. The length of the file names is not the problem.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 06:42 PM   #4602
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
The main reason you probably don't see and war patrol missions is because they have not been added to the Beta version.

Maybe if you could show me a screenie of the single mission folder I might be able to see something that might be wrong.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Single Missions #1.JPG (95.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Single Missions #2.JPG (14.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Mikemike47; 05-22-17 at 06:56 PM.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 09:14 PM   #4603
propbeanie

The file and folder names are not the same as the Mission name.

This is what you see in the Single Mission menu (Quick Mission in Stock & some other mods), the files are in SingleMissions folder
---------------------------

This is what you see choosing the War Patrol. Those files as you know are in the SinglePatrols folder
------------------------------------

In both cases, the naming convention is for ease of author cataloging. Don't look at the folder name and file name as the mission name:

You'll find the Patrol files done the same way. Ubisoft had their "nomenclature" of a leading SM for single mission folders and WP for War Patrol folder names. They would then number it and give it a name the same as the mission name. You can name the mission whatever you want, and name the file and folder something totally unrelated...

Now, if the files aren't in the folders, or your menu doesn't look similar to above, then there's a problem.

Old 05-23-17, 03:31 AM   #4604
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Hello to everyone
After Years of sh3 and a fast run with sh5
I decided to buy Sh4 and sail into the Pacific I chose this new mod ..
First impression ... like a newbie... I have a lot to learn!!!!

Old 05-24-17, 07:39 AM   #4605
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
Hello to everyone
After Years of sh3 and a fast run with sh5
I decided to buy Sh4 and sail into the Pacific I chose this new mod ..
First impression ... like a newbie... I have a lot to learn!!!!

Welcome Aboard! You're going to love it here.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is online   Reply With Quote