SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-31-17, 07:26 PM   #4381
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Any good
Thank you kind sir... Looks the same at first-glance... checking closer now...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-17, 07:51 PM   #4382
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

1st test I started at 20K out.
Using the stock 8K render range I CTD as soon as I hit 10K from the zero zone. No sounds but I didn't cut the files down to just one net placement.
I'll cut the test file down to one net and try again.

Edit.

My Bad! I named a file wrong! Sailed into the placement area with no CTD this time.
Didn't find the net but I'll make the changes so you can test in SH4.

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 03-31-17 at 08:24 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 08:47 PM   #4383
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Tested again and found the net.
Lost a type XXI so the nets work normally.
Now to test in SH4 for the sound problem.
Old 04-02-17, 10:04 PM   #4384
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Got a fix!!
Check the dates on the SH3 and SH4 Collisions.AntiSubmarineNet_int.wav files!!

Copy the SH3 version into SH4 and test it.
Looks good to me. Or should I say sounds good to me.

Now if you need proof this is an original fix used by the Devs for SH3?
Just move the sound files around!!
SH3 suffers the SAME issue if you use the SH4 sound file!
Infact? Yhe very first release of SH3 had this bug!
And still has it!

Now what was I saying about you haven't done everything till you've done everything?

Seems this is now a Global fix for SH4!!!

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 04-02-17 at 10:21 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 01:30 AM   #4385
propbeanie

Well, I substituted audio files, but used a voice of my own that said "bumP!" when I had a collision, and it still only played about half the time. I'll try some further checks and distribute the audio file that s7rikeback sent me. We've been checking into that, but we are definitely not as efficient as you, kind sir!

Now, how would the same issue come back into SH4, and why would it not have been noticed sooner?... Now that I look at things, the files that s7rikeback has are the same as what's in FotRSU, both dated 11/24/2004... hmmm... what date are the good files from Jeff-Groves?... I haven't a clue as to which version I have on disk, lost in a drawer somewhere around here...

Old 04-03-17, 02:07 AM   #4386
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Default My Silent Hunter III .exe

Old 04-03-17, 07:32 AM   #4387
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Got a fix!!
Check the dates on the SH3 and SH4 Collisions.AntiSubmarineNet_int.wav files!!

Copy the SH3 version into SH4 and test it.
Looks good to me. Or should I say sounds good to me.

Now if you need proof this is an original fix used by the Devs for SH3?
Just move the sound files around!!
SH3 suffers the SAME issue if you use the SH4 sound file!
Infact? Yhe very first release of SH3 had this bug!
And still has it!

Now what was I saying about you haven't done everything till you've done everything?

Seems this is now a Global fix for SH4!!!
Jeff I'll check it out!!

I sent propbeanie, and s7rikeback the wave files you suggest correcting the original wave files found in both SH4 and the original SHIII game. I noticed the date and size differences you mentioned of the SHIII "Patched" wave files compared to these two originals. Both the original SHIII unpatched game, and SH4 (with five patches!!) have the same .wave files. The Patched SHIII .wav files are different. THAT could be the difference....I've not tried it out myself...yet.

You'll get the Eagle Eye Award for finding that!!!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 09:15 AM   #4388
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Jeff I'll check it out!!

I sent propbeanie, and s7rikeback the wave files you suggest correcting the original wave files found in both SH4 and the original SHIII game. I noticed the date and size differences you mentioned of the SHIII "Patched" wave files compared to these two originals. Both the original SHIII unpatched game, and SH4 (with five patches!!) have the same .wave files. The Patched SHIII .wav files are different. THAT could be the difference....I've not tried it out myself...yet.

You'll get the Eagle Eye Award for finding that!!!
Files downloaded - will be testing within the next few hours... Have a garden path to finish and a drive way to widen.

A man's work is never done.
Old 04-03-17, 09:17 AM   #4389
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Unbelievable! S7rikeback, are you still tracking a Stock Game Fixes mod? Let's add this to that as well.

Wow.....so SHIII had the defect in the beginning. The devs fixed it. The dev team changed remarkably to become the SH4 dev team, which didn't understand SHIII modules very well at all. They abandoned the fixed sub nets and reinstituted the original broken ones.

Even more proof that the drink coaster business model is just bankrupt. And I find that even applications like Adobe Studio in the past didn't build on the past. They hired a new dev team and developed a new application from the ground up, understanding very little from the previous version. Great features got lost. Old features, imported as black boxes were promptly broken. Each successive version devolves into uselessness. Only a single dev team, kept together for the franchise, can actually evolve software.

It's even more prevalent in applications for specialized businesses like newspapers, lawyers, accountants, storage businesses, apartment complexes.... spend $5000.00 or $100,000 for a program so clunky and inoperative that any $50 PC program for general use is generations ahead in usability and functionality. The BART point of sale software for Budget Truck Rentals is a poster child for this, so crippled and arcane that passwords are entirely unnecessary. Nobody can use it but those who must suffer through it to do their business. We could publish the passwords on Facebook and nobody could do any harm. Except to themselves when they became suicidal trying to make ANYTHING happen. Oh, I get to pay $75 per month to be tortured daily.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 09:23 AM   #4390
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Unbelievable! S7rikeback, are you still tracking a Stock Game Fixes mod? Let's add this to that as well.

Wow.....so SHIII had the defect in the beginning. The devs fixed it. The dev team changed remarkably to become the SH4 dev team, which didn't understand SHIII modules very well at all. They abandoned the fixed sub nets and reinstituted the original broken ones.

Even more proof that the drink coaster business model is just bankrupt. And I find that even applications like Adobe Studio in the past didn't build on the past. They hired a new dev team and developed a new application from the ground up, understanding very little from the previous version. Great features got lost. Old features, imported as black boxes were promptly broken. Each successive version devolves into uselessness.

It's even more prevalent in applications for specialized businesses like newspapers, lawyers, accountants, storage businesses, apartment complexes.... spend $5000.00 for a program so clunky and inoperative that any $50 PC program for general use is generations ahead in usability and functionality. The BART point of sale software for Budget Truck Rentals is a poster child for this, so crippled and arcane that passwords are entirely unnecessary. Nobody can use it but those who must suffer through it to do their business. We could publish the passwords on Facebook and nobody could do any harm. Except to themselves when they became suicidal trying to make ANYTHING happen. Oh, I get to pay $75 per month to be tortured.
Yes i am Steve, not had much time to play with it to be honest, but yes considerate it done.
Old 04-03-17, 09:26 AM   #4391
propbeanie

Say, all you SH3 owners (who can find their disks and actually install and update it...) - what else is changed between the two versions? CapnScurvy is wondering about the SHx.sdl file - any change? how about other "controllers" or files associated with AntiSubNet and AntiSubmarineNet?... ?? Just to make sure it's not just a wav file thingie, which we did find triggererd "The Sound" (the "original" version)... The original version though is only 3 seconds long.

Old 04-03-17, 11:24 AM   #4392
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Yes Double R, we paid an extra ten bucks for the fifth patch from UbiSoft, yet they STILL didn't add the fix the SHIII boys figured out in July, 2005 (that's the date of the patched SHIII .wav file we're talking about)!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!

Thanks UBI!!! You're a peach!!!

====================

UPDATE

I've run my SubNet mission where I had the mouth of Pearl Harbor closed with a Sub Net. Before using the Patched SHIII "Collision SubmarineNet.wav" files I got the screeching sound at the start of the mission...as it opens up the scene within the Command Room. I had two missions, one having a sub submerged at the start, the other with it surfaced. Both of them produced the sound as the game opens due to the my subs placement was within the 20k distance from the Net.

With the SHIII .wav files added.....no sound at the start!!! Yea.....I went on to hit the Sub Net with damage mounting as I stayed in contact with it:

OK...so far so good.

Started a Campaign with a Propoise and headed to Truk. Here's what the Truk Islands look like within the Mission Editor displaying their Sub Net setup:

This is the East side of the Island group. There's an opening towards the North East corner.

Upon arrival, I marked off a 20K area from the approximate placement of the Nets, looking to see if I got that 20K screeching sound?

Nope, we were good (I put the approximate placement of the Sub Nets onto the Nav Map for reference).

I slipped in closer and found the Sub Nets placed just where they should be, and rang up some damage when I hit it.

My report is...... the change to the Patched SHIII Sound files corrects the issue. The remainder of the Sub Net function works as expected.

Thanks to Jeff-Groves for his knowledge of SHIII to know where to look!!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 04-03-17 at 01:41 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 01:52 PM   #4393
propbeanie

Wow. Another "Sound Issue" fixed with a file replacement?... what is wrong with those other files?... Where is my audio editor? I want to zoom way in on the sample points...

Old 04-03-17, 02:02 PM   #4394
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Yes Double R, we paid an extra ten bucks for the fifth patch from UbiSoft, yet they STILL didn't add the fix the SHIII boys figured out in July, 2005 (that's the date of the patched SHIII .wav file we're talking about)!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!

Thanks UBI!!! You're a peach!!!

====================

UPDATE

I've run my SubNet mission where I had the mouth of Pearl Harbor closed with a Sub Net. Before using the Patched SHIII "Collision SubmarineNet.wav" files I got the screeching sound at the start of the mission...as it opens up the scene within the Command Room. I had two missions, one having a sub submerged at the start, the other with it surfaced. Both of them produced the sound as the game opens due to the my subs placement was within the 20k distance from the Net.

With the SHIII .wav files added.....no sound at the start!!! Yea.....I went on to hit the Sub Net with damage mounting as I stayed in contact with it:

OK...so far so good.

Started a Campaign with a Propoise and headed to Truk. Here's what the Truk Islands look like within the Mission Editor displaying their Sub Net setup:

This is the East side of the Island group. There's an opening towards the North East corner.

Upon arrival, I marked off a 20K area from the approximate placement of the Nets, looking to see if I got that 20K screeching sound?

Nope, we were good (I put the approximate placement of the Sub Nets onto the Nav Map for reference).

I slipped in closer and found the Sub Nets placed just where they should be, and rang up some damage when I hit it.

My report is...... the change to the Patched SHIII Sound files corrects the issue. The remainder of the Sub Net function works as expected.

Thanks to Jeff-Groves for his knowledge of SHIII to know where to look!!
I can also confirm this issue is finally fixed.. I'm at Truk now and no bad audio sounds at all. Even when loading a save..

Thumbs up to Jeff-Groves.
Old 04-03-17, 02:28 PM   #4395
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Wanted to report a glitch here that I encountered. I should preface by saying I am still running v0.53 in career mode. My apologies if this has already been reported and fixed. August 30th, 1943 28 nm SE of Takanabe at 03:00 hrs I was running low on torpedos in a Balao. Spotted a Coastal Paddle Steamer running 4 kts to the SSW with a small vessel behind it. It had a sail, did not ID it. The paddle steamer is the issue here. He seems to be silent. By silent I mean a cutie ran right past him in a straight line and missed. And my sonar man could not hear the steamer either. This despite the fact that I could fly the free camera out to the paddle wheel and he was making a heck of a racket when viewed that way.

Last edited by Immelmann; 04-04-17 at 11:37 PM.
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote