SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-16, 06:20 AM   #4486
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Total War: Shogun 2

Seems like a realistic amount of blood

I call this one Pride of Virginia.
Old 07-19-16, 01:46 PM   #4487
Oubaas
Frogman

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
Enjoying my time playing this very good game (even if I'm currently pretty bad at it )

Does anyone know the name of the game from which CCIP posted these screenshots? I tried to PM him to ask, but he doesn't seem to be around lately.

This looks almost like a Civil War version of the Total War series. I'd really like to give it a try if I can find out what it is.

Thanks!

Oubaas
Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 01:57 PM   #4488
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubaas View Post
Does anyone know the name of the game from which CCIP posted these screenshots? I tried to PM him to ask, but he doesn't seem to be around lately.

This looks almost like a Civil War version of the Total War series. I'd really like to give it a try if I can find out what it is.

Thanks!

Oubaas
Unless it's one of the older Take Command games, that would be Scourge of War: Gettysburg, I believe.
Old 07-19-16, 02:59 PM   #4489
Oubaas
Frogman

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
Unless it's one of the older Take Command games, that would be Scourge of War: Gettysburg, I believe.
Hey, thanks Raptor1! I'll check it out!

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 12:31 PM   #4490
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Have been looking at Supreme Ruler Ultimate again. Not sure I like everything I see either,lol Its 2017 and Trump has been elected. NOoooooooooooooooooo!!

Trump has hired August to build the "Wall". He likes Augusts idea of using illegal immigrants to build it, gets around paying minimum wage!!

Brexit has taken effect in the UK also!

The Merkel Govt has appointed Skybird and Nipplespanner as its new Ambassador at Large for the MIddle East!

Their first job as the new ambassadors from Germany will be to go to Syria and have a chat with Baghdadi, kind of a get to know you better party!

Have to go to check on Finlands status at the moment, rumors have it that Dowly has been floating the idea to make Helsinki the largest nudist colony known to man! Already Betenov and Hunter have booked flights to Helsinki as we speak!

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 10:45 PM   #4491
Rilder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Time to derp around a bit with a new company in Gearcity. A Swedish based compact car manufacturer called Revolutionary.

First off the 1900 Revolutionary Comrade! With a staggering 2HP engine!

Old 08-13-16, 04:19 AM   #4492
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Booted up the 'Putin Mod' for Darkest Hour, I had a game that I started a few months ago, so I loaded up the save to see what was happening...and realised that the game had decided to get real on me:

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-16, 08:16 PM   #4493
Rilder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

So I actually managed to get the first personal mission tank, which is nice, its not very good but still, glad to get -something- out of those personal missions.

Old 09-06-16, 03:59 AM   #4494
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-16, 09:52 AM   #4495
Dowly
Lucky Jack

(Glitched outside without a space suit)
Old 10-07-16, 07:32 AM   #4496
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Old 10-09-16, 12:14 AM   #4497
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Here's a little mini-AAR from my latest playthrough of Rule the Wav, uses, still my absolute favourite game of 2015 - which developed nicely over the last year and a sequel was recently announced.

For those not familiar with it, this game allows you to play the leader of a nation's navy in the period of 1900-1925 (with the option to play on until 1950 but without real post-WWI technological developments like naval aviation). You design your own ships, maintain a fleet, and fight naval battles with it when war comes.

So, I thought I'd show off my fleet a bit and post some pictures of the ships I'd built (especially since I spent a lot of effort getting their pictures to look good).

This playthrough, I played Austria-Hungary, with galagagalaxian's "Mediterranean Powers" mod, and ship profile pictures built in the in-game editor with Nuno dos Santos' colour schemes and my own "ship accessories" mod - you can find all of them on the game's forum here: http://nws-online.proboards.com/boar...iscussions-rtw

Anyway, my game as Austria-Hungary had me playing a continental power that, over time, built quite a navy to dominate the Mediterranean (or at least try to). Without overseas colonies and remote fleets to worry about, I could concentrate on ships built for performance specifically in the Med. In fact, for the entire game, none of my navy's ships had ever left the Mediterranean during wartime.

As for wars, I ended up fighting 5 of them - 3 with my arch-enemy Italy, who were threatening to bottle up my Holy Roman Empire inside the Adriatic, but I had other plans for them!

(the graph represents my "prestige" level, i.e. my own effectiveness score as admiral - it rises for making good decisions and winning battle, drops if you're too pacifist and/or lose battles and wars)

My strategy was to have a balanced, thrifty fleet from the start. First were the battleships - ours were technologically quite a bit behind most of other nations', but would do for the Adriatic at the moment.

Two of our four starting battleships were of the Franz Ferdinand class - sensible, home-built ships. Although their 10-inch guns were pretty unimpressive at a time when most powers were fielding 12-inch pieces and better, they proved not substantially worse than the Italians - and better yet, though the Italian ships were a bit better, their battle line was slower than ours at 18kt, and was made up of 3 ships against our four. Over the course of our wars in the first decade of the 20th century, our battleships encountered the Italians' 4 times; both sides fought well and survived the encounters - and although long in mothballs, the Franz Ferdinands were still technically in existence in 1926.

The real workhorses of our early wars, however, were the cruisers. We started out with three basic types.

The Donau class were a pair of very sensible armored cruisers - not too heavy, not too fast, but very practical in the Adriatic. They fought together with our battleships, as well as on their own - chasing down other cruisers, bombarding enemy land targets, and defending our coast well. Both the SMS Donau and SMS Sankt Georg earned 7 battle stars (maximum possible!) before the end of their battle service - an end which, unfortunately for both of them, came at the wrong end of a torpedo. The Sankt Georg blew up abruptly when it got hit in the magazine by a lucky torpedo from a destroyer during a fleet battle against the Italians in mid-Adriatic; the Donau was torpedoed during our last war by a submarine while returning from a routine patrol.

The Saida class were two fairly large, fast, capable light cruisers (for being built before 1900, anyway). They, too, were workhorses that did everything from chasing down Italian raiders to bombarding coastal towns. Saida was also lost to a torpedo when she got too close to a wounded Italian cruiser (that also sank in the same battle), but her sister Novara survived and even remained in service to our last war against the French (where she was relegated to coastal patrol duty - but still managed to sink an enemy destroyer and a pair of auxiliary raiders, becoming one of our most successful ships in that war).

Finally, there were our light forces, meant for night fighting and scouting:

Though called a "cruiser", the Aspern class was more of a destroyer/leader or perhaps an aviso - a small, very cheap but quick ship. Despite its small size, lack of armor, and only 4 guns as armament, the Aspern was a very successful class - 6 of them were built (of which 2 were lost in combat), and they set a template for other small, quick, cheap ships of this type for many years to come.

Our first destroyers were the Panther class (12 built, 2 lost in combat) - very fast for their time, although lacking particularly effective armament. As destroyer technology developed slowly, with 500-700t ships being the norm until about 1915, these had a long and successful service life.

Finally, our force was rounded out by these little minesweepers (16 built, 3 lost, 1 scrapped) - which patrolled the Adriatic coast and did ASW duty as well over the course of the whole campaign.

So, this was the fleet that fought Italy. In our first war, the Italian navy was slightly larger than mine. With most of the fighting involving smaller cruisers rather than battleships, however, I was able to whittle down their superiority, impose a blockade, and force them to sue for peace. They paid a heavy price by ceding control of Sardinia to my crown - and though they tried twice, including a very tiring war of 1905-1908, they were never able to regain it. After our final clash in 1916-1917 where they were quickly and decisively defeated, the Italians were finally forced to acknowledge our dominance of "their" sea, and turned to their internal problems - like Sicily suddenly seceding!

Technology kept advancing in the meantime. We laid down some new ships as a response to the Italian menace - and though their fleet definitely suffered more than ours, and we were eventually able to blockade Italy from the sea, we still needed more firepower. This produced some very widely varied ships - including our ugliest and most handsome.

First, the ugly. You may want to cover your eyes!..

This monstrosity, built in our own shipyards, was built in response to two things - firstly, the frequent missions to bombard the Italian coast, where we'd often spend more time than we wanted near the enemy's coastal artillery batteries; and secondly, in response to being unable to sink any of the Italians' battleships through a relative lack of firepower. And yes, you are seeing 9 single 10-inch turrets per side here indeed - along with a pair of double 11-inch turrets on each end!
In all truth, these probably would have been floating explosion hazards - but by plan or providence, the four Erherzog Karl floating battery ships ended up never seeing any combat.

A slightly more balanced (but still ugly) design, built in 1909 when most countries were already building dreadnoughts, was the Babenberg. Only this single ship was built - ordered from a French shipyard, because the French had much better large-caliber guns than us, and we were anxious to get something that would be able to punch through heavier armor. Although the Babeberg was later rebuilt, with an engine upgrade that allowed it to reach 27kt (making it more or less a battlecruiser), it never saw combat during its career either.

Finally, on the prettier side of things, we had this...

The Lissa class were three small but nimble battlecruisers, very fast from the beginning. They had a long development history - derived from a German design, and eventually ordered from British shipyards (which were far ahead of ours technologically) and finished in 1910.
Though they were very well-liked ships, and became even faster in 1920 after engine refits, they had a tragic history - all three of them were destroyed in 1924-1925 by much superior French battlecruisers, which by that point were simply far better in every other way. Before they were sunk, however, the Lissas still made a very brave attack that wiped out an entire French convoy (before being caught by the enemy).

In the meantime, the Turks had decided to try and have a go at us in 1914 over crisis in the Balkans - but after a few quick and mostly insignificant battles, their government found their navy blockaded by ours, and simply sued for peace. As reparations, they ceded bases in Lybia and Rhodes to our control.

(to be continued)

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)

Last edited by CCIP; 10-09-16 at 12:46 AM.
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-16, 12:45 AM   #4498
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Through the 1910s, our fleet was progressively upgraded with newer ships, although I was reluctant to scrap any of our old ones - and indeed never did scrap any, simply choosing to keep our old ships in reserve or mothballs just in case they were suddenly needed.

But the new additions kept coming. As torpedo technology improved, new torpedo boats and destroyers came along.

The Csepel class were torpedo boats that were not terribly advanced, but had every ounce of performance squeezed out of them, mounting 4 torpedo tubes.

As working with Britain proved positive in their building of our first battlecruisers, we were soon ordering other ships from them as well - including our first oil-fired destroyers, the relatively balanced Maros class.

Our replacements for the "mini-cruisers" of the Aspern class were also to be built in Britain - and the slightly larger and very fast (for its time) Scylla class were that replacement. Although impressive, it quickly became apparent that they were quite expensive. Although 6 were originally ordered, 4 of the orders were substituted for the Diana class, as below:

These were much smaller and cheaper, with otherwise identical armament and performance, although sacrificed range and reliability - and on delivery proved slower than promised. Eventually the two remaining Scyllas proved to be the much better ships, while two of the four Dianas were lost in combat. However, all of these six small cruisers received upgrades, including two-gun turrets on the bow and stern which substantially increased their firepower.

The far more expensive and extravagant cruisers were the Szigetvar class, build as replacement for the Saida class. They did well in combat, but two of the four of them were lost in our last conflict.

By the later part of the 1910s, our fleet was looking more and more modern.

The T-14 class of destroyers, also built in Britain, were a very modern, large ship - already starting to approach our small cruisers in size, and no less capable in armament. They bore the brunt of fighting against the French - and though they had many very successful moments, they often paid a heavy price, with 3 of them being lost in action.

British engineering also gave us our most capable battlecruisers; and while the Monarch class were the last of our ships ordered from a foreign yard (as our technology had in most regards caught up with world-class by 1917), they certainly proved themselves worthy, particularly due to their very capable 15-inch armament, able to deliver a 10-gun broadside (triple turrets fore and aft, and two staggered wing turrets mounting two guns each, capable of limited cross-deck fire). The Monarch was lost in a catastrophic turret explosion in the last war (British-built battlecruiser, go figure...), but her sister Kaiser certainly brought plenty of revenge afterward.

And finally, the oddest British-built ship in our stable was this one:

Although not the last ship of ours to be designed in Britain, we kept building them for quite a while - mostly because their already promising performance on paper turned out even better in reality. They exceeded specification by easily reaching 32 knots in service, making them capable of catching not only cruisers, but even most destroyers. Although they were named after a camel and had the looks of an oversized fishing trawler - and a very high pricetag, the Dromedars achieved their fast speed due to mounting all of their main 6-inch guns on the centerline, saving a great deal of weight.
However, in service they proved to be a disappointment - for reasons not entirely clear, despite their speed they fared poorly, and of the six built, four were quickly lost to the French, largely while on screening duty with battlecruisers.

So, speaking of the French - our dastardly enemy finally came at us in 1923 with a generally more powerful but more spread-out navy. They wanted to try and check our expansion in the Mediterranean, just as we were in the process of modernizing our navy. The final war, which lasted 2.5 years, proved to be very different from the ones that came before it - with technology having advanced, the battles were fierce and the losses were many. With their ships being somewhat more modern on average, we suffered several very costly defeats early in the war - and though we had managed to avenge them, we still lost 35 surface ships of various sorts during this war, versus France losing only 25 warships. In the end, the war ended on a negotiated peace agreement, as both sides found themselves at a stalemate and facing prospects of heavy losses were another major battle to happen.

Our final ships, commissioned in the months before the war ended, never ended up seeing action - after heavy battlecruiser battles, both fleets kept back for the last period of the war, and the only battles to occur in late 1925-early 1926 involved only cruisers, destroyers, and auxiliary ships.

The Arpad class were an impressive trio, a modern class of superdreadnoughts armed with 4-gun turrets and mounting much better armor than the rest of our fleet. However, even with them in service, we could not tip the balance of power sufficiently to our side, and so the war ended.

At the end of this war, I'd retired from my command of the navy with a prestige score of 59 (anything over 50 is considered a strong performance). The navy promised to name an aircraft carrier after me in the next age.

Well, and that was that, hope you enjoyed all the ships

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 08:09 AM   #4499
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Oh, ok... what could possibly go wrong?!
Old 10-13-16, 10:32 AM   #4500
Rilder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

When you have science to do but there is also the threat of a flight of Zeroes attacking.