SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-16, 04:36 AM   #511
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
My results for using the "Maximum Range at current Speed" is still different, showing ......Not Available??? ...

... After running the v0.5 alpha I'm seeing a couple of things.....Can't go to the Weapons and Sensors screen when on a patrol mission (least not the first mission out of Pearl on Dec 8 '41). Neither the HUD Button work's or the menu tab at the top of the "Sub Management" screens...

... The Medals on the "Crew Management" screen are using names that are not associated with the correct medal...
I have similar behavior in mine on the same 1st patrol with a Porpoise. I'm going to try another later today with a different boat. Also, I have to run my SH4 "windowed" in order to see some of the screen elements. Seems like there's a "wide screen" mod built-in. I've got an older 4:3 lcd monitor.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 06:49 AM   #512
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I'll check tonight. I'm puzzled about importing 2.0 ships. It's already done in v.05! We just have four ships that are potential problems. Once we chase them down we're done with ships except for addins.

Side note: especially when doing serial version installs and uninstalls it's necessary to have made a snapshot of the virgin SH4 files to begin with. You should be doing compares before each time you install a new version. Last time I caught JSGME leaving in several v1.3 ships after I uninstalled. I had to wipe out my directory contents and do a complete copy from \SH4Pristeen to get clean again. I don't know why JSGME messes up sometimes, I just know it does.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 07:31 AM   #513
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
"Easy" game setting,....just let the game decide for you to load its default settings
I believe Easy setting will turn off fuel consumption. In effect you will never consume or run out of gas
Try checking this in the radio in the skippers office before starting your next patrol

I am at work now so I cannot double check this. However I have a feeling this may be at the root of the problem

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 07:34 AM   #514
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

To Max,

Looks like XTBilly and Propbeanie have the same issue with the "Maximum range at current Speed" as I.

Yes, I'm running the "100 FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.05Alpha_EN" over SH4 v1.5 ONLY....no other mods. Really strange.

As I pointed out, I'm using the default mission at the start of the war (makes it simple to test without using additional variables). No changes to using Pearl as the base, a Porpoise sub, "Easy" game setting,....just let the game decide for you to load its default settings.

As I said, I don't have the calculated range at speed figure; the Weapons and Sensors page won't work when in mission (it does when your in port); the medals on the Crew Management page show one thing......the description for some of them is quite different. That "Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal" describing the "Bronze Star Medal", looks very familiar (I introduced it, along with the "Navy Commendation Medal" a long time ago with my Medals Fix mod, along with the actual images of the medals)......I don't remember giving anyone from FOTRS permission to use those description?!? Although I would have. I gave Ducimus permission with TMO, guess he just passed on that work to FOTRS. Bet there isn't a nod to me either, in the credits. Since the Awards are pooched in this way, I'm wondering if there's anything else out of wack with them? Guess I'll look at them too.

==============

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
...I have to run my SH4 "windowed" in order to see some of the screen elements. Seems like there's a "wide screen" mod built-in. I've got an older 4:3 lcd monitor.
That's the same 4:3 Aspect Ratio monitor I use for most of my modding, except its a CRT. I'll use either the default 1024x768 resolution for most of my testing (get it right for that resolution, the rest is going to be OK too), or use one of these other 4:3 Aspect Ratio resolutions:

1152x864
1280x960
1360x1024
1600x1200
1792x1344

==================

Quote:
I believe Easy setting will turn off fuel consumption. In effect you will never consume or run out of gas
Try checking this in the radio in the skippers office before starting your next patrol
Ok, that might be the issue.....I'll try it now and see what changes!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 07:38 AM   #515
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
To Max,

Looks like XTBilly and Propbeanie have the same issue with the "Maximum range at current Speed" as I.

Yes, I'm running the "100 FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.05Alpha_EN" over SH4 v1.5 ONLY....no other mods. Really strange.

As I pointed out, I'm using the default mission at the start of the war (makes it simple to test without using additional variables). No changes to using Pearl as the base, a Porpoise sub, "Easy" game setting,....just let the game decide for you to load its default settings.

As I said, I don't have the calculated range at speed figure; the Weapons and Sensors page won't work when in mission (it does when your in port); the medals on the Crew Management page show one thing......the description for some of them is quite different. That "Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal" describing the "Bronze Star Medal", looks very familiar (I introduced it, along with the "Navy Commendation Medal" a long time ago with my Medals Fix mod, along with the actual images of the medals)......I don't remember giving anyone from FOTRS permission to use those description?!? Although I would have. I gave Ducimus permission with TMO, guess he just passed on that work to FOTRS. Bet there isn't a nod to me either, in the credits. Since the Awards are pooched in this way, I'm wondering if there's anything else out of wack with them? Guess I'll look at them too.
You know, as I recall, weapons and sensors never worked for any version of TMO I played. I had just written it off as a SH4UBM stock problem and never really thought about it. It would be interesting to figure out why they're turned off and would be nice to see what I've been missing for seven years.

There is a lot of inheritance from TMO here, as FOTRS was built on a TMO 1.7 base. I'd like to research all who contributed, even to TMO and correct the credits listing to reflect. TMO is very good at recognizing contributors, so it should be a matter of comparing TMO credits with FOTRS, finding the ones that only got credit in TMO, verifying that their work is present in FOTRS and adding the credit.

I consider it of top priority that no-one whose work is contained in FOTRS Ultimate is left out of our credits list. That includes Lurker_hlb3 if the side throwers in the DDs are his work, and I strongly suspect it is. We are able to do what we are doing because others have contributed to Silent Hunter 4 over a nine year period. Our mod honors their work.

By the way I am running the game windowed in an 1164x864 window, as that's the largest size that will fit in my 1600x900 monitor. Running SH4 in a window means I never have to alt-tab. I just click outside the window and SH4 seems none the wiser.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 07:39 AM   #516
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Side note: especially when doing serial version installs and uninstalls it's necessary to have made a snapshot of the virgin SH4 files to begin with. You should be doing compares before each time you install a new version. Last time I caught JSGME leaving in several v1.3 ships after I uninstalled. I had to wipe out my directory contents and do a complete copy from \SH4Pristeen to get clean again. I don't know why JSGME messes up sometimes, I just know it does.
I've been doing clean installs for each version of Alpha since you uploaded the first version, boss. Figured it was necessary because we wanted to see accurate results and I also know what kind of mod soup the JSGME can leave sometimes.

Quote:
I consider it of top priority that no-one whose work is contained in FOTRS Ultimate is left out of our credits list. That includes Lurker_hlb3 if the side throwers in the DDs are his work, and I strongly suspect it is. We are able to do what we are doing because others have contributed to Silent Hunter 4 over a nine year period. Our mod honors their work.
I agree with you, RR. Is that all we have to do is make sure the modder gets full credit for their work or is there more?

Quote:
By the way I am running the game windowed in an 1164x864 window, as that's the largest size that will fit in my 1600x900 monitor. Running SH4 in a window means I never have to alt-tab. I just click outside the window and SH4 seems none the wiser.
I am running at 2560x1440. Should I be running lower?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 07-06-16 at 08:11 AM.
cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 08:06 AM   #517
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck
Max, you were right! Setting the option to something other than "Easy", or check marking the "Limited Fuel" option in a Campaign game will allow the "Range at current Speed" feature to work. I just didn't get the connection.

Thanks

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 08:20 AM   #518
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

I just don't trust JSGME to change versions. It's different to install a small mod and absolutely another thing to install 1.5 Gb with some thousand files.

This what I've done.

1. Uninstalled everything, fresh installed SH4v1.5.
2. Copied the entire unmodded SH4 folder on another location on the disk.
3. I install a FOTRS version through JSGME to make sure it installs ok.
4. Before making any changes to test things, I make a direct copy of the whole \Data folder. Just in case.
5. If there's a new version of FOTRS, I delete the whole Silent hunter 4 folder, copy the whole unmodded backup one, and install the new version.

This way I'm sure that JSGME didn't "forget" something.

I am also running the FOTRS Ultimate Edition v0.5.
Right now, the Large Modern Composite Merchant is problematic. No wave rolling, no flag moving and it causes a CTD after a hit. I'll take a look at it and report back.

Regards,
Billy.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 08:29 AM   #519
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Max, you were right! Setting the option to something other than "Easy", or check marking the "Limited Fuel" option in a Campaign game will allow the "Range at current Speed" feature to work. I just didn't get the connection.

Thanks
No worries Capn
Glad we got it figured out

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 07-06-16, 01:13 PM   #520
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105
Default Question of map ?

In the main map view during night time is it possible to darken the pinkish/red hue? My thoughts it would look better slightly darker , might just be "eye candy"........ And where might this be hidden in the files?
As in CapnScurvy's post 508?
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...pstgay8lel.jpg
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 01:37 PM   #521
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
OK, I loaded the "Large Address Aware" utility and the Museum still crashes.
Sorry about that mate
I was sure that was going to work for you
Looks like I am the only person who can load the museum at the moment

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 07-06-16, 01:48 PM   #522
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
You know, as I recall, weapons and sensors never worked for any version of TMO I played
I wouldn't be so sure about that RR

From my current install of TMO 2.5
Running a career out of Pearl in Jan '42

Weapons and Sensor Tab works just fine

I can confirm that just like CapnScurvy, it does not work in FOTRS Ultimate v.05 for me

The question is - how vital is this
I cannot think of a situation where I would need to check the Weps and Sensors tab mid patrol?

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 07-06-16, 01:49 PM   #523
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fithah4 View Post
In the main map view during night time is it possible to darken the pinkish/red hue? My thoughts it would look better slightly darker , might just be "eye candy"........ And where might this be hidden in the files?
As in CapnScurvy's post 508?
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...pstgay8lel.jpg
I think this is one single texture file
If my memory serves me correctly it may even be called something like 'night filter'
I will take a look

EDIT
Found it!

FOTRS Ultimate

Last edited by max-peck; 07-06-16 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-06-16, 02:31 PM   #524
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Rockin Robins, XTBilly, CDSubron - can any of you guys check this in your installs?
Please check the Max Range at current speed button to see if it works please?
Max Range at Current Speed working on v.05 for me.

Weapons and Sensors Tab is not.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 02:41 PM   #525
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Quote:

Thanks
I confirm the Captain's post. It's working now on my system too!

Nice one Max!!

Cheers,
Billy.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote