SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-18, 08:21 AM   #6406
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As for the nurse, don't go trying to show her your old football injury... You know how that went back in the states. You were shipped overseas SAP pronto!...
I should have listened to you. Good thing the Pharmacist Mate had some Penicillin in the locker. Nuff said!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-18, 12:13 PM   #6407
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

So you just ~had~ to show someone the injury, eh?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-18, 05:23 PM   #6408
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I should have listened to you. Good thing the Pharmacist Mate had some Penicillin in the locker. Nuff said!

how is your turf toe healing? i hope the infection cleared up. turf toe can be difficult to heal.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-18, 05:30 PM   #6409
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default FOTRSU - objective not attained.

on patrol 9/15/42 approx 36 miles ESE of Miyazaki.
sight a 5 ship convoy heading approx 210.
DE, Aden Maru Troop ship, tanker, composite freighter, and a hospital ship.
i radio in for orders and the objective is the large troop ship which has to be the Aden Maru.

i torpedo the first three, open some distance, surface and take out the little freighter with my deck gun and yet my objective is still not met. what's up with that?

LAA enabled
Old 07-29-18, 06:43 PM   #6410
propbeanie

I'm not quite following you, mark bonamer. Most of the DynamicMiss functionality is very restricted in FotRSU, using close-in distances and dates, and usually won't pull in new Objective-type orders (or rather - shouldn't), especially if you have any primary or secondary Objectives not yet completed. That is, except for the first 10 assignment types, which decide for you whether to track or attack, and maybe what the primary target is. No other renown, other than what you get for the sinkings, less any damage incurred to your boat, of course . Is that what you got? Whatever the initial orders were at origination should still stand... Let us know.

Old 07-30-18, 04:32 AM   #6411
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

You didn't tell us what the initial "objective" was for the mission?? The fact you "radioed in for orders" tells me you're still "wet behind the ears" rookie! This is war...…...take out the enemy wherever you find them, WITHOUT asking for permission!

Whatever the initial mission objective was still stands, no matter what you may encounter on the way to accomplishing it.

Mother, pin a ribbon on me (for sinking ships outside of your objectives)! BUT, complete the initial mission sailor! If it states, go to "Section A1" and "Sink all shipping".....go to "Section A1" and do exactly that! Then, you'll accomplish your objective.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-18, 11:51 AM   #6412
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I'm not quite following you, mark bonamer. Most of the DynamicMiss functionality is very restricted in FotRSU, using close-in distances and dates, and usually won't pull in new Objective-type orders (or rather - shouldn't), especially if you have any primary or secondary Objectives not yet completed. That is, except for the first 10 assignment types, which decide for you whether to track or attack, and maybe what the primary target is. No other renown, other than what you get for the sinkings, less any damage incurred to your boat, of course . Is that what you got? Whatever the initial orders were at origination should still stand... Let us know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
You didn't tell us what the initial "objective" was for the mission?? The fact you "radioed in for orders" tells me you're still "wet behind the ears" rookie! This is war...…...take out the enemy wherever you find them, WITHOUT asking for permission!

Whatever the initial mission objective was still stands, no matter what you may encounter on the way to accomplishing it.

Mother, pin a ribbon on me (for sinking ships outside of your objectives)! BUT, complete the initial mission sailor! If it states, go to "Section A1" and "Sink all shipping".....go to "Section A1" and do exactly that! Then, you'll accomplish your objective.

the original objective was to deliver Lt Brown and his marines to okinawa, which was successfully completed.
from that point, i was on my own to deliver my torpedos as best i can.
from the GAME aspect, from my experience playing, the more successful secondary objectives one can accumulate, the higher the reward when returning from patrol.

so when i encounter a TF or a convoy, if i radio into cincpac (or whomever), acquire a secondary objective and complete that secondary objective, that counts better/more than just sinking the TF/convoy without the secondary objective. i have learned this the hard way...by just sinking the ships w/o an objective.

this last description is the situation that i described in my initial post. a secondary objective that i appeared to accomplish but the GAME did not give me credit for accomplishing. that is my question.

as a post script, later in the patrol, i encountered a similar convoy, radioed in, received a secondary objective for sinking a freighter. i sank the freighter and fulfilled that objective and then sank a large troop ship and fulfilled the previously unfulfilled objective.

does this supplementary explanation help you understand my question better?

LAA enabled
Old 07-30-18, 12:06 PM   #6413
propbeanie

Yes. Thanks. So you got an Objective assignment then, when you called the contact report in on the first group encountered. Did you happen to have any of the ships targeted and "locked" in the TDC / TBT when you reported that one, or any of them? Thanks again! It might be that the first group is not properly recognized with the Ada Maru in it... we'll look at some definitions here after a bit...

Edit: Report just in from JANAC, denying your claim to the sinking of the Ada Maru... This is from Ultra reports. While it might just be a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean, someone is on the radio, claiming to be the Ada Maru. Hypo confirms this... That is all...

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-30-18 at 01:20 PM. Reason: This just in...
Old 07-30-18, 02:15 PM   #6414
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Yes. Thanks. So you got an Objective assignment then, when you called the contact report in on the first group encountered. Did you happen to have any of the ships targeted and "locked" in the TDC / TBT when you reported that one, or any of them? Thanks again! It might be that the first group is not properly recognized with the Ada Maru in it... we'll look at some definitions here after a bit...

no, i did not have any ships targeted/locked when i made my contact report (shoulda remembered that piece of game jargon).

i've been playing SH4 for 4 or 5 years at least and i am still learning some of the Subsim jargon. unfortunately, i did not read the book when i first started. i just installed and cut loose...relying on my previous training with Sub Battle, 688i, Seawolf, etc to get me by.

Quote:
Edit:
Quote:
Report just in from JANAC, denying your claim to the sinking of the Ada Maru... This is from Ultra reports. While it might just be a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean, someone is on the radio, claiming to be the Ada Maru. Hypo confirms this... That is all...

JANAC. Bah. do not talk to me about JANAC. just a bunch of revisionist paper pushers sitting around swilling scotch and judging those of us who put-it-on-the-line.

may they all get paper cuts shuffling their papers.

LAA enabled
Old 07-30-18, 04:03 PM   #6415
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Many thanks for the answer!

I will try it. But I note you use Gamma Correction On. Do you have the ball sun in your SH4? Also: AA application controlled....SH4 controls AA? SH5 does it, but SH4 doesn't have any control for AA.

BTW, I have the same W10 version and GTX 770 with the same update as you.

Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo
Ahoy Fitzcarraldo just wondering how you made out with your graphics card setting. I have a Nvidia GT630 the only AA setting I have turned on is the Gamma Correction. No video problems what so ever. Just started running windows 10.
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-18, 07:24 PM   #6416
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default FOTRS-U - New Balao assigned in November 1942

November 17, 1942. if FOTRSU decides to upgrade my Gar-class to a Balao is that kosher?

i mean, will it work or will it be troublesome until mid-1943 (or whenever)? i have read about others having issues with "pre-production" Balaos so i am asking what the current opinion is before i delete my Gar-save-files and press on with the new Balao.

what is hard to understand is which file is FOTRSU getting directions to allow assignment of a Balao in 1942. with everything that i've seen, they should patch up my Gar and point me back out to sea.

• the balao.upc file says that its UnitInterval= 1943-02-04, 1963-07-11.

• flotillas.upc says for Midway (which is where i am homeported)
[Flotilla 7.UserPlayerUnitType 5]
ID= F7Balao
NameDisplayable= Balao class
AvailabilityInterval= 1943-03-01, NULL
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= Balao
i am four patrols into a re-install from 1.5 CDROM.

LAA enabled
Old 08-01-18, 08:28 PM   #6417
propbeanie

I have been testing for that again mark bonamer, and started another adventure in it today. If a player has one "bad" patrol (less than 100 renown points), or a couple-three (haven't figured the number out yet) "Average" patrols (800 renown points or less, but more than 100), they usually don't have to worry about it, because they will find it difficult getting enough points before March of '43. They do have to worry about early retirement, or being assigned as sub instructor back at Groton. I managed to do that after the first four patrols were "Average" in 1942. However, the next set of tests ("Good") got me a Balao on November 7th, 1942. Everything worked fine on the boat, even though some of the equipment dates aren't effective until at least February, 1943. So there are no issues using the boat itself - However...

The problem(s) might lay in the PatrolObjectives.cfg and Flotillas.upc files, in the missions and assignments, in that with certain assignments, they aren't active yet, date-wise. Others are, and if you get those, everything works. You might get the assignment to the East China Sea (Pearl / Midway default mission) several times, but if you get one of the later missions that is not yet active, you might get retired instead, which was a rather frequent problem prior to v1.3 of the game. This is why we've been trying to track this early assignment stuff down. We don't know what happens, nor why. I'm thinking that the devs having a "default" mission that the game falls through to, might be a way they used to help avoid the old early retirement issue, but I don't know. We have not had it happen yet in FotRSU, and would sure appreciate you letting us know what happens in your case. Just don't delete your old Saves is all - just in case...

Old 08-02-18, 09:54 AM   #6418
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
The problem(s) might lay in the PatrolObjectives.cfg and Flotillas.upc files, in the missions and assignments, in that with certain assignments, they aren't active yet, date-wise. Others are, and if you get those, everything works. You might get the assignment to the East China Sea (Pearl / Midway default mission) several times, but if you get one of the later missions that is not yet active, you might get retired instead, which was a rather frequent problem prior to v1.3 of the game. This is why we've been trying to track this early assignment stuff down. We don't know what happens, nor why. I'm thinking that the devs having a "default" mission that the game falls through to, might be a way they used to help avoid the old early retirement issue, but I don't know. We have not had it happen yet in FotRSU, and would sure appreciate you letting us know what happens in your case. Just don't delete your old Saves is all - just in case...
ok, i can handle this assignment. can we list out what you want me to track/pay-attention-to as i proceed with the "pre-release" version of the Balao? normally i do not track anything other than patrol success, one patrol at a time, however this assignment appears to require paying attention to additional items. i just want to get a handle on what you want me to look for or notice.

LAA enabled
Old 08-02-18, 01:31 PM   #6419
propbeanie

Just look for whether your equipment works - the boat's, that is... - Do all of the radar stations seem to function as intended, sonar, periscope, bridge etc.?? - but the biggest thing is: Do you get proper mission assignments? You could get an of the ones below in any order. The game does them randomly. You might get repeats, you might not. These are the Balao assignments, and you might progress like this:

;************ M F7 Balao Boat 5 ************

[Flotilla 7.UserPlayerUnitType 5.Objective 1]
ID= PH5Obj1
NameDisplayable= East China Sea - several Luzon Strait to Okinawa
AvailabilityInterval=1943-03-01, NULL
ObjectiveCode= East China Sea

[Flotilla 7.UserPlayerUnitType 5.Objective 2]
ID= PH5Obj2
NameDisplayable= Marshalls patrols - several anywhere between Truk and the East side of
AvailabilityInterval=1943-03-01, 1944-04-01
ObjectiveCode= Marshall Islands

[Flotilla 7.UserPlayerUnitType 5.Objective 3]
ID= PH5Obj3
NameDisplayable= Empire Waters
ObjectiveCode= Honshu - six missions off Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu

[Flotilla 7.UserPlayerUnitType 5.Objective 4]
ID= PH5Obj4
NameDisplayable= Empire Waters
ObjectiveCode= Hokkaido - a couple Tsugaru Strait and North of

[Flotilla 7.UserPlayerUnitType 5.Objective 5]
ID= PH5Obj5
NameDisplayable= Caroline Islands - East of Truk toward Palau
ObjectiveCode= Caroline Islands

[Flotilla 7.UserPlayerUnitType 5.Objective 6]
ID= PH5Obj6
NameDisplayable= Mariana Islands
ObjectiveCode= Mariana Islands - around Guam & Saipan

[Flotilla 7.UserPlayerUnitType 5.Objective 7]
ID= PH5Obj7
NameDisplayable= Palau Island
ObjectiveCode= Palau Island - around Palau & Philippine Sea

[Flotilla 7.UserPlayerUnitType 5.Objective 8]
ID= PH5Obj8
NameDisplayable= Luzon Strait
AvailabilityInterval=1944-01-01, NULL
ObjectiveCode= Luzon Strait

[Flotilla 7.UserPlayerUnitType 5.Objective 9]
ID= PH5Obj9
NameDisplayable= Patrols in the Sea Of Japan
AvailabilityInterval=1944-11-01, NULL
ObjectiveCode= Sea of Japan

;********************************************

Once you get to 1943-03-01, everything should be fine. Any of those missions dated prior might be accessible to the Balao, since only the Flotilla file controls the boat assignments. Mission dates and PatrolObjectives are "open" so that all boats can use the same missions. As a later try, we might make specific missions for the Balao, and give that a whirl, and see if the game still assigns them early. If the game sends you out on one patrol and then retires you for "no just-cause" (no points earned is "just"), then that would be the old early retirement issue. That is the main reason to keep your old boat's files...

Old 08-02-18, 02:26 PM   #6420
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Just look for whether your equipment works - the boat's, that is... - Do all of the radar stations seem to function as intended, sonar, periscope, bridge etc.?? - but the biggest thing is: Do you get proper mission assignments? You could get an of the ones below in any order. The game does them randomly. You might get repeats, you might not. These are the Balao assignments, and you might progress like this:

Once you get to 1943-03-01, everything should be fine. Any of those missions dated prior might be accessible to the Balao, since only the Flotilla file controls the boat assignments. Mission dates and PatrolObjectives are "open" so that all boats can use the same missions. As a later try, we might make specific missions for the Balao, and give that a whirl, and see if the game still assigns them early. If the game sends you out on one patrol and then retires you for "no just-cause" (no points earned is "just"), then that would be the old early retirement issue. That is the main reason to keep your old boat's files...
ok. got it.
we are off to Sink Marshalls 02...mission 166.

probably have to move west to pick up some traffic.

LAA enabled