SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-16, 10:34 PM   #1
Coolmint
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0
Default Any submarine mods for SH5? Or do I have to get SH4 for that? :P

Title.
Coolmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-16, 07:43 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Welcome Aboard!

That's actually quite vague. What kind of mods are you looking for?
Old 06-24-16, 09:49 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Coolmint
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
If you are new to SH5 look > > HERE <<
Highly Recommended SH5 > The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-16, 11:06 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Coolmint!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-16, 06:14 PM   #5
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Welcome Aboard!

That's actually quite vague. What kind of mods are you looking for?
I think he means other playable subs besides type VII boats.
And AFAIK, the answer is no, for many reasons.

Instead of grabbing SHIV (which I consider something like a stillborn), check out SH III with mods. Graphics are outdated, yes, but the game overall will give you a way more stable simulation... or a simulation at all.

SHV looks great, but plays terrible.
Old 06-25-16, 09:18 AM   #6
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolmint View Post
Title.
So far I have managed to piece U-FLaK ffrom unused developers element but that is probably it...Dont exoect any other sub type anytime soon in SH5 (A.K.A. never...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post

Instead of grabbing SHIV (which I consider something like a stillborn), check out SH III with mods. Graphics are outdated, yes, but the game overall will give you a way more stable simulation... or a simulation at all.

SHV looks great, but plays terrible.
After all these years SH5 looks and plays just fine here... I don't know how much are you familiar with modding but with properly modded SH5, simulation elements can be much more emphasized than in any previous SH title...Cheers
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-16, 06:22 PM   #7
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
After all these years SH5 looks and plays just fine here... I don't know how much are you familiar with modding but with properly modded SH5, simulation elements can be much more emphasized than in any previous SH title...Cheers
For example with your mod pack?

Funny.
Just days ago, I invested the time and energy to give SH5 another try, with wolves of steel, and found myself hitting ALT+F4 after ~45 minutes.

SH5 is some unrealistic, frustrating mess, wolves of steel doesn't change that, unfortunately. Even AoD plays nicer and feels more rewarding, let alone realistic (wolfpacks, smart destroyer AI, ...) then SH5.
What Ubi delivered here is a shame, not a product.
Old 06-25-16, 07:36 PM   #8
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
For example with your mod pack?

Funny.
Just days ago, I invested the time and energy to give SH5 another try, with wolves of steel, and found myself hitting ALT+F4 after ~45 minutes.
Yes, for example with "my" modpack...Are you sure that you have invested enough "energy" ?
To be honest, this looks to me like a typical "rage quit" reaction of a person who has installed the game or the mod incorrectly, or who didn't bother to check provided install instruction and documentation ...I saw this so many times (and not only in SH5, this is common for all sims)...

By the way, TWoS in not "my" megamod...It includes work of more than 100 individual moderes and some of them were involved in subsim icons development, like GWX...

Quote:
SH5 is some unrealistic, frustrating mess, wolves of steel doesn't change that, unfortunately. Even AoD plays nicer and feels more rewarding, let alone realistic (wolfpacks, smart destroyer AI, ...) then SH5.
Since you didn't actually try it, it is somewhat pointless for me to convince you the opposite but I can say that you are very wrong...I'm also SH3/4 veteran and I think I'm pretty much competent to compare these games in various aspects.

Quote:
What Ubi delivered here is a shame, not a product.
I agree on this but my statement from my previous post still stands...
Old 06-25-16, 09:06 PM   #9
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Yes, for example with "my" modpack...Are you sure that you have invested enough "energy" ?
To be honest, this looks to me like a typical "rage quit" reaction of a person who has installed the game or the mod incorrectly, or who didn't bother to check provided install instruction and documentation ...I saw this so many times (and not only in SH5, this is common for all sims)...

By the way, TWoS in not "my" megamod...It includes work of more than 100 individual moderes and some of them were involved in subsim icons development, like GWX...

Since you didn't actually try it, it is somewhat pointless for me to convince you the opposite but I can say that you are very wrong...I'm also SH3/4 veteran and I think I'm pretty much competent to compare these games in various aspects.

I agree on this but my statement from my previous post still stands...
You can't know that, but it wasn't the first time I installed SH5/WoS - it was a rage quit, for sure, though.
I tried to get into SH5 over and over and over again since 2014.
Most I played it might have been for a week and then I had enough because the game, in the end, is a soulless, unrealistic, empty Ubicrap game.
And while I know about the high frequency of people not installing it correctly, I can assure you, I did.
I followed the instructions step by step and it all worked out like it should.

And "not enough" energy? Really?
Installing SH5 and the mod pack can take a lot of time/preparation before you can actually play - you know that.
So at what point is "enough enough"?!

Also, I can't immerse myself into a game where:
- My first watch officer still wears his stupid eye patch (why!?)
- My boat looks like a salvaged rust bucket (why!?)
- My deck crew is unable to hit a freighter 300m out in calm seas, as if they are the guys from .
- Explosions. Explosions everywhere. Long live Michael Bay.
- Bad Weather: Crew spamming me with "Running on both Diesels" all the time. Ugh.
- Sonar guy is useless and confused: Calm sea, single contact, few hundred meters... chasing for a while... he reports: "duh, new contact 330, close"
Yeah, really Sherlock!?

The clunky controls, especially moving around (moving up/down the conning tower f.e.) combined with so many little bugs and hick ups that just destroy whatever this could have been are absolutely enough for me to come to this judgement.
If you are satisfied with what SH5 offers, even modded, fine - but implying I must have done something wrong because I have higher expectations to a simulation is really pushing it.
And before you might say nitpicking, think twice what a simulation is all about...
Old 06-25-16, 10:18 PM   #10
vdr1981
Navy Seal

In that case you better dust off your Win98 and AoD installation...

I'm quite satisfied with SH5 and even with SH4 which you have discard so easily...Should I remind you that even many hardcore SH3 players have found SH4, in combination with various Atlantic/Pacific mods, very enjoyable?
I guess you don't have the same opinion (probably rage-quit after 45 min in SH4 or so )...

Something's telling me that you are not quite satisfied with SH3 as well...

Anyway, most of your mentioned SH5 remarks could be easily fixed with few additional mods/tweaks.

Normally, people will usually ask for help/advice until they are able to set up game files/options to their liking , without trashing someone else hard work, but offering any help in this case would be utterly pointless...
Old 06-25-16, 10:43 PM   #11
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
In that case you better dust off your Win98 and AoD installation...
No need.
AoD is always installed on my system and I play it from time to time, getting easier immersed in that game, than in SH5 for sure.
I even wrote some AAR in the according subforum.

Quote:
I'm quite satisfied with SH5 and even with SH4 which you have discard so easily...Should I remind you that even many hardcore SH3 players have found SH4, in combination with various Atlantic/Pacific mods, very enjoyable?
I guess you don't have the same opinion (probably rage-quit after 45 min in SH4 or so )...
I played SH IV years ago, also tried the u-boats.
While I appreciated the new optics, the game didn't give me what SHIII gave me and I consider it very unfinished. Maybe the experience in SH IV is better with submarines, but they aren't my thing at all, so that is that.
Also, explain to me why the opinion of others should influence my personal opinion or taste? Many people consider Transformers a great movie - shall I share their opinion now because most people think that way!?
One thing though, I called it a stillborn - that was a mistake.
SH5 is the stillborn in the series, SH IV surely not. I take that back.
Quote:
Something's telling me that you are not quite satisfied with SH3 as well...
Myeah and something tells me that you're jumping to conclusions, clouded by being butt-hurt because someone just slightly criticizes your project (while still pointing ut that SH5 is ultimately to blame).
I loved Silent Hunter III and played it for years, even being part of the Grey Wolves team, but sure - I hate that game, I guess.

Quote:
Anyway, most of your mentioned SH5 remarks could be easily fixed with few additional mods/tweaks.
I know, in case of the boats skin, the eye patch, sure - quick fix.
But the other things? The sonar guy and the voice spams aren't so "easily fixed", and if they are - why weren't it fixed?
Question is, am I willing to invest the time and effort to fix this piece of trash, or will I just let it go?
I made my decision and can live with that.

Quote:
Normally, people will usually ask for help/advice until they are able to set up game files/options to their liking , without trashing someone else hard work, but offering any help in this case would be utterly pointless...
Ah see, I knew I smelled butt-hurt earlier, so that's the problem - someone not bowing down and appreciating everything put in front of him, just for the sake of it.
No, sorry. I have my own expectations and taste when it comes to the games I spend time with. If something isn't able to satisfy me, I won't lie about it. I also didn't "trash" anyone's work (except Ubisoft's, and that sure is justified!), I criticized certain aspects of SH5+WoS and explained why it isn't for me or why I consider it "not good enough" in the end.
This is called criticism and having an opinion.

Also, there is no need to "ask for help".
Just because I do not roam in the SH5 sections, doesn't mean I do not know SH5 and its structure or what is fixable or not - after all I modded SH since SHIII myself.
The problem aren't the mods, the problem is the base game that is broken beyond repair. There is SO much wrong with it, that no modder on this planet could ever really fix it.

Also, you sound as if my examples where a conclusive and complete list.
They were some examples out of my head. Who knows, maybe I am so totally wrong and should play on - because after all I probably just "did something wrong".
Old 06-26-16, 12:36 AM   #12
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
One thing though, I called it a stillborn - that was a mistake.
SH5 is the stillborn in the series, SH IV surely not. I take that back.
You are taking your statements back quite easily...

Quote:
I loved Silent Hunter III and played it for years, even being part of the Grey Wolves team, but sure - I hate that game, I guess.
I guess it's easier to rant around instead of taking some time to fix/adjust few for you annoying aspects of the game and share it with community, IF you are so much familiar with gamefiles and game engine , as you said ...

Quote:
he sonar guy and the voice spams aren't so "easily fixed", and if they are - why weren't it fixed?
No sonar spam in my game...Multiple contact reports when dealing with multiple units is normal behavior...

Quote:
Ah see, I knew I smelled butt-hurt earlier, so that's the problem - someone not bowing down and appreciating everything put in front of him, just for the sake of it.
Heh, don't flatter your self, my butt is not hurt at all...

I could take your ranting with a grain of salt if the situation was different, but since I'm very much familiar with games in the series, I really couldn't care less and frankly neither should other people who are reading this.
Your posts about SH5 are simply misleading and can only create wrong picture about the current state of modded SH5.

I understand that you don't like the game and megamod but I think that you are throwing to much stones on the game which is not so bad after all.

And before you say once again that even modded SH5 is still a crap, I'll say that you are very wrong. It's not perfect, that's for sure but it has much to offer with few features unique only for SH5, like best ever real navigation by TDW, highly customizable options, realistic , randomized and unpredictable AI ect...
Old 06-26-16, 01:06 AM   #13
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You need to comprehend posts before you answer them.
Now I have to clean up your mess, great.

Quote:
You are taking your statements back quite easily...
That is called being honest and able to admit mistakes - you may want to try it out some time...

Quote:
I guess it's easier to rant around instead of taking some time to fix/adjust few for you annoying aspects of the game and share it with community, IF you are so much familiar with gamefiles and game engine , as you said ...
I guess it is just easier to simply dismiss criticism and play butthurt Cinderella?
However, I wasn't "ranting around", I listed a few (of many!) flaws and explained why I believe these flaws are reason enough for me to drop SH5. How dare I!

You are completely unreasonable by basically demanding that I should invest the time to fix it. Just how full of yourself are you exactly?
Why don't you go raise the Titanic?
Not worth your time you say?
Well I don't care, do it. Because reasons!

Quote:
No sonar spam in my game...Multiple contact reports when dealing with multiple units is normal behavior...
And no sonar spam in mine either, I never said that - but what do you care.
It is more convenient to now just make crap up I guess?

I said the crew is spamming reports about the diesels running, while in storm!
The sonar guy is just useless and reports "new contact!" when all the time there was just that one single contact in the first place.
Ubi simply created a crappy AI/code in that regard, why can't you admit that?!

Quote:
I could take your ranting with a grain of salt if the situation was different, but since I'm very much familiar with games in the series, I really couldn't care less and frankly neither should other people who are reading this.
Your posts about SH5 are simply misleading and can only create wrong picture about the current state of modded SH5.

I understand that you don't like the game and megamod but I think that you are throwing to much stones on the game which is not so bad after all.

And before you say once again that even modded SH5 is still a crap, I say that you are very wrong. It's not perfect, that's for sure but it has much to offer with few features unique only for SH5, like best ever real navigation by TDW, highly customizable options, realistic , randomized and unpredictable AI ect...
I see.
Tl;dr: "Your opinion is wrong because I like the game!"

Everything I criticized is true.
I didn't make anything up.
DID I?

Hey what about:
- goofy/sketchy crew-voices
- Crew reporting "ship spotted!" IN THE HARBOR (!?)
- "Shallow Waters" spam
- BS-arbitrary and pointless radio messages from BdU (pos. report, ...) that serve NO purpose whatsoever! ESPECIALLY 30 MINUTES AFTER LEAVING PORT!
- Player view on deck always "tilted"
- When sending patrol report, Funker says "Funkspruch gesendet - Ja - Funkspruch gesendet!" what!?
- Alarm bell going of when ordering periscope depth... while underwater!

Everything in this game is completely chaotic and arbitrary.
Nothing works like it should be.
WoS doesn't change that! And before you even consider to answer, check twice if it isn't just you not liking my opinion again, and instead deliver some facts for a change, like I did from the very start.

Your opinion about broken game mechanics aren't facts, it doesn't matter, especially not to me.

Oh and I nearly forgot.
Comprehend the following line, finally, will you?
Quote:
Question is, am I willing to invest the time and effort to fix this piece of trash, or will I just let it go?
I made my decision and can live with that.

Old 06-26-16, 06:42 AM   #14
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
I said the crew is spamming reports about the diesels running, while in storm!
- Crew reporting "ship spotted!" IN THE HARBOR (!?)
- When sending patrol report, Funker says "Funkspruch gesendet - Ja - Funkspruch gesendet!" what!?
- Alarm bell going of when ordering periscope depth... while underwater!
There is nothing wrong about crew reporting ships in harbors, especially if reported ships are on your sailing path. It's quite useful actually. Real navigation is must have with SH5...
Other remarks are just nitpicking and common small SH annoyances but I guess your refined butt doesn't think so...

Quote:
The sonar guy is just useless and reports "new contact!" when all the time there was just that one single contact in the first place.
- "Shallow Waters" spam
- goofy/sketchy crew-voices
- BS-arbitrary and pointless radio messages from BdU (pos. report, ...) that serve NO purpose whatsoever!
- Player view on deck always "tilted"
What?
Nonsense , this is not true at all...Now, you are just throwing trash around by counting non existing "bugs" from the back of your head and frankly, you don't know what you are talking about...

I'm not quite sure what is the goal of your trolling here but people should definitely be aware of it...

Cheers...

Last edited by vdr1981; 06-26-16 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-26-16, 07:57 AM   #15
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
There is nothing wrong about crew reporting ships in harbors, especially if reported ships are on your sailing path. It's quite useful actually. Real navigation is must have with SH5...
Other remarks are just nitpicking and common small SH annoyances but I guess your refined butt doesn't think so...

What?
Nonsense , this is not true at all...Now, you are just throwing trash around by counting non existing "bugs" from the back of your head and frankly, you don't know what you are talking about...

I'm not quite sure what is the goal of your trolling here but people should definitely be aware of it...

Cheers...
Trolling?
I am the one who delivered facts and solid examples to underline why in my opinion, SH5 is crap.
YOU are the one who roams in complete denial and is now even lying and insulting his way out of this, instead of being constructive.

Pathetic and kinda sad to be honest.