SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-19, 01:21 PM   #8116
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

Greetings Gents,

I believe I've found a bug: When starting a fleet boat campaign selecting mid 1943 and Brisbane creates a CTD.

Best!
SilentPrey
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 04:14 PM   #8117
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPrey View Post
Greetings Gents,

I believe I've found a bug: When starting a fleet boat campaign selecting mid 1943 and Brisbane creates a CTD.

Best!
SilentPrey
What boat were you in?

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 05:44 PM   #8118
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

I just tried a mid-1943 Brisbane career in a GATO and it ran fine with no CTD.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 07:32 PM   #8119
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
I just tried a mid-1943 Brisbane career in a GATO and it ran fine with no CTD.

-C
I used the Balao and had no issue.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 07:48 PM   #8120
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich8 View Post
I have this on my SSD and the procedure you stated for using saves is something I've just started practicing after uploading the video. It's not too bad since I have this installed on SSD. And it makes a bit of sense as to why I don't see this issue in SH5. Before you mentioned that it corrupts the save, saving and loading like I do in SH5, I noticed evidence of corruption of the save on some marks on the map I had, that previously red "Mark 1, Mark 2" and then read " #*&@@#' €" lol

How I usually do my saves are the following: Captains initials, Patrol Number, Save Number. So SGP1S1 for Slyguy3129 Patrol 1 Save 1. Next save if I need to on that patrol will be SGP1S2 for the second save. So on and so forth. Helps keep up with things in Radio Station Manager too so you don't keep getting reports of an attack on Pearl and Day of Infamy in 1945. Because if I recall correctly, if you use only one save file for your whole career, it is not a matter of if your save will become corrupted and stop working, but when.
Old 05-07-19, 09:49 PM   #8121
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
What boat were you in?

Sorry, I was trying to start a career. I clicked Fleet Boat Campaign, mid-1943, then as soon as I clicked Brisbane: CTD.

ETA: Apologies again, it's the Beginning 1943 and Brisbane.
Old 05-08-19, 12:38 AM   #8122
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440

Beginning 1943 Brisbane on my computer does not crash. I have a list of S-18 Sboat, S-42 Sboat, Salmon, Sargo, Gato, Gar, Porpoise and Narwhal. Were you using a mod prior to using FotRSU? or maybe Stock game, and had Saved Games from either? If so, try deleting the "C:\Users \Username \ Documents \ SH4" folder, and try starting again. All of your screen and other settings will re-set back to the default settings. Let us know what happens please.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 04:02 PM   #8123
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Don't know if you guys have done anything to the environment-dome in the game. But I just spent 15 real life minutes being hypnotized by how the clouds roll and undulate the way clouds do. Merging, coming apart, slightly dissipating.

Was a very immersive moment being up top, as the sun rose, with 40s music playing from the in game radio, watching the clouds with my old S-Boat diesel cranking me through a relatively calm sea!

Well done to whomever it may concern!!!
Old 05-08-19, 05:06 PM   #8124
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Beginning 1943 Brisbane on my computer does not crash. I have a list of S-18 Sboat, S-42 Sboat, Salmon, Sargo, Gato, Gar, Porpoise and Narwhal. Were you using a mod prior to using FotRSU? or maybe Stock game, and had Saved Games from either? If so, try deleting the "C:\Users \Username \ Documents \ SH4" folder, and try starting again. All of your screen and other settings will re-set back to the default settings. Let us know what happens please.
Alright, I uninstalled the game in steam, deleted the game folder, deleted the save folder, restarted the computer, redownloaded the game, FOTRSU, JSGME, and LAA. After Steam reinstalled the game (1.5 U-boats) I installed JSGME to the game folder, extracted FOTRSU to the MODS directory, enabled it in JSGME, started the game to set the options then closed out. While out I ran LAA on SH4.exe (I forgot to earlier). Then I restarted the game.

After all that and with only FOTRSU (0.81) enabled I still CTD when selecting Beginning 1943 then Brisbane. No chance to select a boat, just CTD as soon as Brisbane is selected. I'll accept that my experience may be a one off or that the issue may just disappear when y'all release the next version.

I can still start a campaign and the game looks great!

You're doing great work guys!
SilentPrey
Old 05-08-19, 05:32 PM   #8125
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPrey View Post
Alright, I uninstalled the game in steam, deleted the game folder, deleted the save folder, restarted the computer, redownloaded the game, FOTRSU, JSGME, and LAA. After Steam reinstalled the game (1.5 U-boats) I installed JSGME to the game folder, extracted FOTRSU to the MODS directory, enabled it in JSGME, started the game to set the options then closed out. While out I ran LAA on SH4.exe (I forgot to earlier). Then I restarted the game.

After all that and with only FOTRSU (0.81) enabled I still CTD when selecting Beginning 1943 then Brisbane. No chance to select a boat, just CTD as soon as Brisbane is selected. I'll accept that my experience may be a one off or that the issue may just disappear when y'all release the next version.

I can still start a campaign and the game looks great!

You're doing great work guys!
SilentPrey

I just tried creating a career in v.81 using beginning of '43 in the Career Mode. While trying to set the base at Brisbane I've CTDed twice. Will continue experimenting.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 10:59 PM   #8126
propbeanie

Well.. if I could find a Disney Goofy "Guh-Huh!" little laugh, I'd link to it, but I can't so I won't, but the sound still applies ... Hear Goofy in your head, and know that Goofy was running his FotRSU mod with edits for the next release. Once those are removed, my game does indeed crash to the desktop when choosing Brisbane, Beginning 1943...

I do see a problem in the files that might be causing the issue. Avoid using Brisbane at the Beginning of 1943 for this current v0.81 release. If you know what you''re doing in a text editor, open the CareerStart.upc file and delete the " F3Tambor, 4," text. You'll find that under the [CareerStart 5. Flotilla 3] header, on the "IDLinkUserPlayerUnits=" line. Pay attention to the "space" character in there...

However, doing preliminary testing on the next release. I hope to finally hand off to Rockin Robbins tomorrow late morning or early afternoon, pending team approval...

Old 05-09-19, 09:32 AM   #8127
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Well.. if I could find a Disney Goofy "Guh-Huh!" little laugh, I'd link to it, but I can't so I won't, but the sound still applies ... Hear Goofy in your head, and know that Goofy was running his FotRSU mod with edits for the next release. Once those are removed, my game does indeed crash to the desktop when choosing Brisbane, Beginning 1943...

I do see a problem in the files that might be causing the issue. Avoid using Brisbane at the Beginning of 1943 for this current v0.81 release. If you know what you''re doing in a text editor, open the CareerStart.upc file and delete the " F3Tambor, 4," text. You'll find that under the [CareerStart 5. Flotilla 3] header, on the "IDLinkUserPlayerUnits=" line. Pay attention to the "space" character in there...

However, doing preliminary testing on the next release. I hope to finally hand off to Rockin Robbins tomorrow late morning or early afternoon, pending team approval...

So it'll be fixed in the next release? That's the entire reason I mentioned it: I like helping squish bugs. Again, great work, gents!

SilentPrey
Old 05-09-19, 12:42 PM   #8128
h4rdliner
Swabbie

Downloads: 20

Hi, i'm new to FOTRS mod, i clearinstalled Sh4 and the missionpack, and everything from FOTRS like in the readme, everything works exept when i have a Sonarcontact and ask the Sonarman to estimate Distance to target it says -214789055346 i play with all realismoptions exept dud torpedos and external view, is it a bug?
h4rdliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 02:27 PM   #8129
propbeanie

@ h4rdliner - Dunno. I'll look into the scenario with a few boats. But which sub are you using, and where and when did you start? You've got map contacts off, manual targeting, but have the external view on. What about Event Viewer? That is one "cheat" that is almost a necessity in FotRSU with torpedoes being shot at you from AI subs and DD. Since there is not an "incoming torpedo" warning in SH4, you' use the Event Viewer instead to see the launch.

@ SilentPrey - Yes, next version is fixed in that regard. I may have broken something else instead, but... Thank you for double-checking your set-up and re-doing the attempts. That helps a ~LOT~. It also helps if I've got the right version when I check things myself...

Old 05-09-19, 03:14 PM   #8130
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4rdliner View Post
Hi, i'm new to FOTRS mod, i clearinstalled Sh4 and the missionpack, and everything from FOTRS like in the readme, everything works exept when i have a Sonarcontact and ask the Sonarman to estimate Distance to target it says -214789055346 i play with all realismoptions exept dud torpedos and external view, is it a bug?
If I recall correctly (so please correct if I'm mistaken), the active sonar has a relatively short range in comparison to the passive sonar. It might be that you are beyond its range to determine an estimate, giving you those crazy numbers.