SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-17, 02:03 PM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCQ_SH View Post
I guess these techniques refer or should be related to 0° gyro angle attacks and the "four bearing" methods, right? I mean, for a u-boat that is easy to do without a radar as their hydrophone had a range for convoys around 30-50 NM which gives you enough time to determine course and speed.

Is that true that American hydrophone was so much less capable than German's by only being capable to pick up ships at 10K yards? the four bearing method and 0° gyro attacks by hydrophone listening are possible for a very slow moving ship. Late in the war subs had radar, but before radar, how was that possible?
Observation. I do it in an S boat in SH4. A lot depends upon where you are versus where a target is when sighted, but it is possible to "get in position" in plenty of time, under the proper circumstances. You do miss more opportunities than you get though. My only issue is that an S boat has a ~slightly~ more difficult time getting away from a 1k yard or less shot though...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote