SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-22-16, 07:29 PM   #1
Jazzy
Watch

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 4 Uplay problem

Hello all
I recently downloaded SH4 gold addition and installed it using Uplay.
However when I clicked the play button, the blue circle/loading symbol appears for a second then disappears and nothing happens. I have tried verifying the files but then had to download the game again for whatever reason.
Can anyone suggest a solution to this please?
Thanks
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-16, 08:00 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Main thing is probably the shortcut you're using to start the game. If you want, go to the game folder and double-click on "SH4.exe" to try to start the game, and see if that doesn't start it up. If it does, either make the shortcut point to it, create yourself a new one, or else use the Run or Search dialog, depending upon which version of Windows you have.

In line with that, which version of Windows do you have, is it 64 or 32 bit, and do you have more than 2 gig of ram? Did you install the game in C:\Program Files, or Program Files (x86), or elsewhere?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-16, 06:28 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Jazzy
Run your applications as administrators.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-16, 07:56 AM   #4
Jazzy
Watch

Hello again
I tired both methods but sadly no joy.
I'm using windows 10 and I have 8GB RAM, 64 bit and processer is Intel core i7-6500U CPU 2.50GHz 2.59GHz . I'm also doing this via a laptop which may have something to do with it as I hear that laptops don't like SH games.
Thanks for the advice
Old 11-23-16, 11:12 AM   #5
propbeanie

Did you install the DirectX v9.0c that came on the Silent Hunter disk? If you didn't, then re-install the game and be sure and let the DirectX 9c install. I will not mess up anything on the computer, but it will supply a couple files in the DirectX library that Silent Hunter needs. You do NOT want to install that Uplay stuff, since Ubi no longer uses it.

Edit: I suppose you don't have a disk, since you downloaded it... but stil, the DirectX 9 should be in that package...

Last edited by propbeanie; 11-23-16 at 03:20 PM. Reason: whoops! downloaded it...
Old 12-03-16, 10:20 AM   #6
Jazzy
Watch

Hello propbeanie
Sorry for the delayed reply, have now reinstalled it with DirectX 9. Sadly the same problem occurs,(blue circle/loading symbol appears for 2 seconds then disappears and nothing happens). I still am unsure as to why this is as my computer has the same specs as my laptop and SH4UM runs fine on there.
Old 12-03-16, 10:59 AM   #7
propbeanie

Are you using the SH4.EXE to start the game? As Peter says, if you right-click on the SH4.EXE, and chose "Run as administrator", that should do the trick...

Which version of windows do you have on your laptop? How about on the desktop computer?

What "folder" or "directory" do you have Silent Hunter installed in? In other words, is the game in "C:\Program Files(x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter..."??

Old 12-03-16, 11:23 AM   #8
Jazzy
Watch

I am trying to run SH4.exe and as administer to no avail. Both my computer and laptop have windows 10, and I did not installed the files into C:\Program Files(x86).
Old 12-03-16, 01:36 PM   #9
propbeanie

What kind of video "card" do you have on the laptop, and what kind on the regular computer?

Here's a little line from the Uplay "support" site:

"NOTICE: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disc and virtual drives"

I wish they'd let you actually "Search" their web site, instead of spoon feeding a person one thing at a time, and then you get stuck in a 3-hit circle, and have to go back and do another / different search... very archaic. Makes it seem like they don't wanna be bothered...

Old 12-03-16, 04:05 PM   #10
Jazzy
Watch

I have a intel r hd graphics 520 for laptop, unsure yet of what my computer's is. Not sure if that answers your question.
I know downloaded SH4 on the 64-bit option however my laptop is a 32-bit (I may have clicked the wrong option), is that the problem?
Thanks

Last edited by Jazzy; 12-03-16 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-03-16, 06:57 PM   #11
propbeanie

The game is 32-bit, but I'm not sure of that 64-bit option choice you had. I don't remember getting that when I downloaded my Uboats "add-on", but that has been a few years ago...

Some of the onboard intel graphics present a problem, but if it's working for laptop, don't sweat it. If you right-click on the desktop, and choose Screen Resolution, or similar, and you can get to your video setup. You'll probably have to click on an "Advanced Settings" button in order to be able to see the screen that has your "Adapter" name on it. Cancel out of everything when you're finished there.

Old 12-04-16, 05:02 PM   #12
Jazzy
Watch

Just completed that, "device is working fine" it says.
Sorry, I know next to nothing about computers, I'm meant do something else here? Sorry for being a pain
Thanks
Old 12-05-16, 07:11 AM   #13
propbeanie

Well, the Uplay site and the Ubisoft Support site leave a lot to be desired when it comes to finding things. It might just be if you're using the same download on both machines that the license agreement doesn't allow it. The first activated is the one you can use. Dunno. I know I have software that I'm allowed to install on one laptop and one desktop, since it's assumed that I can't use them both at the same time. However, other software doesn't allow that. When you installed the software, did you get the registration dialog, where they have the boxes where you type in the numbers from your download email? And when you try to run it now, you're getting the Ubisoft symbol doing its little neon thing in the center of the screen, and then it disappears, and then back to the desktop?

This little gem, only the whole screen?

Old 12-05-16, 07:45 AM   #14
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I wish they'd let you actually "Search" their web site, instead of spoon feeding a person one thing at a time, and then you get stuck in a 3-hit circle, and have to go back and do another / different search... very archaic. Makes it seem like they don't wanna be bothered...
From Google: (search term) site:ubi.com

That will search only the ubi.com site for your information. You can get as specific as you want and search only one page if you want.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 08:13 AM   #15
propbeanie

Doi dee doe... You got it man, RR! I don't know where my brain was with the searching.

I'm not so sure I wanna know the stuff:
3.1 THE PRODUCT MAY BE PROTECTED BY DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE (“DRM SOFTWARE”). IN SUCH CASE, YOU HEREBY AGREE, ACKNOWLEDGE AND CONSENT TO THE FOLLOWING REGARDING THE DRM SOFTWARE: (I) THE INSTALLATION OF THE PRODUCT WILL CAUSE THE DRM SOFTWARE TO BE INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER; (II) THE DRM SOFTWARE MAY LIMIT THE NUMBER OF INSTALLATIONS OF THE PRODUCT; (III) THE DRM SOFTWARE MAY INSTALL ON YOUR COMPUTER ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS REQUIRED FOR COPY PROTECTION; AND (IV) DURING THE INSTALLATION AND/OR THE FIRST LAUNCH OF THE PRODUCT, AN ONLINE CONNECTION MAY BE REQUIRED TO UNLOCK THE PRODUCT THROUGH THE DRM SOFTWARE...

... UBISOFT uses third party analytics tools to collect information concerning Your and other users’ gaming habits and use of the Product. The information collected may contain the following, without limitation: mobile device unique identity or other device identifiers and settings, carrier, operating system, localization information, date and time spent on the Product, game scores, game metrics and statistics, feature usage, advertising conversion rates, monetization rate, purchase history and other similar information. UBISOFT uses third party ad serving technologies that may collect information as a result of ad serving in the Product and that may temporarily display advertisements in the Product...
4. CONSENT TO MONITOR.

When You are using the Product, the Product may monitor Your hardware random access memory (RAM) for unauthorized third party programs prohibited by Section 1 that interact with the Product. In the event that the Product detects such an unauthorized third party program, information may be communicated back to UBISOFT, including the name of your Account, your internet protocol (IP) address, details about the unauthorized third party program detected, and the time and date that the unauthorized third party program was detected, along with the hardware specifications and performance characteristics of Your hardware, with or without additional notice to You. If the Product detects the use of an unauthorized third party program, this License and Your access to the Product may be terminated with or without additional notice to You...

... just a small portion.