SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-06-16, 05:39 PM   #1
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default What limits how large time compression can be?

SOmetimes, time compression is limited to 4, when my view is outside the sub, other times TC can go higher than 2048 when in map view. I don't recall the TC for outside views not able to go higher than 4! Inside the sub TC is limited to 32. Is this a MOD issue, or an Options variable?
Old 11-06-16, 06:03 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Depends upon where you are. Close to land, you're limited to 4x. Other times on external, you'll be limited to 32x. Someone else will have more / better details on the other limitations. The max is 8192x, which while "convenient" at times, really stresses the game engine. I've had it not come out of 32x very politely before, and seen the explosion on my deck from a shore battery shell just as the game was getting it to 1x. "We're under attack!" no kidding... not cool. But such is life with time compression. Use as little as you can stand... 'Course, my butt gets sore sitting too long...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-16, 07:03 PM   #3
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

As you describe that's what I expected, but, I'm in middle of South China Sea not near any land but two pesky destroyers are looking for me within 1500 yards, I'm 180 feet deep but with external view my TC will not go beyond 4! But in map view the TC goes as high as I make it! Something has changed that I don't know what with TC and external view.
Old 11-06-16, 07:18 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Have you got Silent Running on, or are you in shallow water? In the upper right corner... I was driving along doing CTD (Crash Test Dummy) work in a Single Mission I had been noodling with, and took my boat to 200, trying to get below a thermal before 3DD got close to me. Didn't happen. "We're taking ~damage~ SIR!" I'll sur you, you surly - say ankh? Water spraying every where... What thuh? Look at the damage screen, and I've got 50% hull damage (at least I didn't have to wonder if that meant what I'd lost, or what I had left). I had not gotten a 'verbal' warning, but there in the text box was "We're close to the bottom.", and in the upper right of the screen was that cute little icon for shallow water. Chart didn't show it, but there it is, big as a fleet boat hull... just about then, the cans started raining down on me. This being FotRS Ultimate, I was treated to the ~best~ IJN ASW available in game, and that's a side-thrower coupled with two hedge-hogs, doin' their best wagon wheel dance... "Around your partner, doe sea doe, drop yer ash cans, boom they go..."

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 11-06-16 at 07:34 PM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-16, 07:30 PM   #5
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0

In addition to what propbeanie wrote, your computer will limit how high of tc you can use. Outside of the game limitations (outside the boat, close to land, etc.), without other units around, I can get tc up all the way without problems. Others have said they can only get tc up to about 4000 before encountering lag issues. Once another unit is close, my computer starts to noticeably lag. I use the tc/stopwatch lag much to my advantage.
Old 11-06-16, 10:00 PM   #6
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

well, I just realized that those pesky DDs hit me causing 25% damage which probably qualifies for "critical damage" which then limits TC as stated in the Main.cfg file (I think that's the one).
Lesson learned
Old 11-07-16, 01:49 PM   #7
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

In Data\Cfg there is a cfg file that will adjust time, however be careful.

I didn't like that the game would only slow down to 8x or whatever when an aircraft was detected; even at 8x they are on you fast. Other settings also bothered me so, here's mine with some minor adjustments.

These need to be adjusted before a Career is first started and with an empty SH4 Saved Games folder in My Documents, because they move over to the \Data\cfg folder in the SH4 Saved Games folder in My Documents, or you can adjust that existing Main.cfg file in the My Documents Saved Games SH4 folder directly.

This is the section in Main.cfg.

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=32
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=1
RadioReport=1
Particles=8
PrayState=8
HunterState=32
3DRender=32
Maximum=8192

In the archives here at Subsim is a post with explanations for each setting that I copied and posted into my notes way back when, but the main settings are pretty much self explanatory. Below is that post from my notes:

Somebody (maybe Ducimus) wrote:
Quote:
[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1

LandProximity=4 <---- changing this helps getting out of port faster, or laying doggo on the bottom of some Jap harbor somewhere.

CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128;1 <--- this means crew efficiency is being used at 128 TC or below.

AirEnemyDetected=1 <--- aircraft spotted either by sight, or radar, and X 1 TC is the result. Side note, if you set this to 0, or -1, the game will pause when an aircraft is detected. Very handy if you go AFK a lot when going to/from pearl harbor.

SoundEffects=2 <--- after X2 TC, normal sounds won't play.
CharacterAnim=4 <--- after X 4 TC, character animations don't play.

EnemyDetected=8 <----- Ship spotted!?! X 8 TC, lower to X 1
RadioReport=8 <---- contact report? X 8 TC,
Particles=8 <--- sea/smoke particles do not render past X8 TC

PrayState=8 <----- in SH3 this was the max TC allowed after being detected. Doesn't work in SH4

HunterState=32<------ in SH3, this was max TC allowed after detecting an enemy.

3DRender=32 <--- how fast TC can go in 3d mode. IE, standing on the bridge.

Maximum=8192 < ---- self explanatory.
Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-16, 03:48 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

On top of all of that, your machine's CPU and memory factor into whether or not you can use TC up to the maximum allowed in the configuration files. If the game CTDs, you pushed it too far.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-16, 07:47 PM   #9
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thank you Aanker, I always like learning more about the how's and what's of SH4 just as much as playing it. Perhaps you can tell me just what UPCLocalization.tsr does.
And, Roger that RR.
Old 11-07-16, 09:23 PM   #10
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Thank you Aanker, I always like learning more about the how's and what's of SH4 just as much as playing it. Perhaps you can tell me just what UPCLocalization.tsr does.
And, Roger that RR.
Yes, the mysterious UPCLocalization.tsr can be opened with a plain text editor like Notepad, NOT Word, and you can scroll through it. The information in it is called by other files to display in-game in many different places.

When you open it you can see the various entries and their locations. Rather than Notepad I use a program called NoteTab Pro. The NoteTab Light version is still free. http://www.notetab.com/
Some people prefer other programs for text & html editing.

Scrolling through it, when you get to the Ammunition section in Stock for example, you can see that it is pretty blah without useful descriptions. I like to think in Imperial measurements like feet & yards, US WWII Skippers used it.

Here is the entire Ammunition section in UPCLocalization.tsr from the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod:
Quote:
;UPCUnitsData\Ammunition.upc

20mm AP ammo=20mm AP ammo
40mm AP ammo=40mm AP ammo
40mm HE ammo=40mm HE ammo
3in AP ammo=3in AP ammo
3in HE ammo=3in HE ammo
4in AP ammo=4in AP ammo
5in HE ammo=5in HE ammo
5in AA ammo=5in AA ammo
Mark 10 Torpedo=Mark 10 Torpedo
Mk10TorpInfo=Speed: <b>36 kt</b>|Range: <b>3,500 y</b>|Propulsion: <b>Steam</b>
Mk10TorpNotes=
Mark 14 Torpedo=Mark 14 Torpedo
Mk14TorpInfo=Speed: <b>46/31 kt</b>|Range: <b>4,500/9,000 y</b>|Propulsion: <b>Steam</b>
Mk14TorpNotes=
Mark 16 Torpedo=Mark 16 Torpedo
Mk16TorpInfo=Speed: <b>46 kt</b>|Range: <b>13,700 y</b>|Propulsion: <b>Hydrogen Peroxide</b>
Mk16TorpNotes=
Mark 18 Torpedo=Mark 18 Torpedo
Mk18TorpInfo=Speed: <b>29 kt</b>|Range: <b>4,000 y</b>|Propulsion: <b>Electric</b>
Mk18TorpNotes=
Mark 23 Torpedo=Mark 23 Torpedo
Mk23TorpInfo=Speed: <b>46 kt</b>|Range: <b>4,500 y</b>|Propulsion: <b>Steam</b>
Mk23TorpNotes=
Mark 27 Cutie Torpedo=Mark 27 Cutie Torpedo
Mk27TorpInfo=Speed: <b>12 kt</b>|Range: <b>5,000 y</b>|Propulsion: <b>Electric</b>
Mk27TorpNotes=Homing torpedo
Bubble Generator Decoy=Bubble Generator Decoy
Signal Flare=Signal Flare
Fake Periscope Head=Fake Periscope Head
.50 AP ammo=.50 AP ammo
In-game you will recognize the ammunition info from the Tab when you are outfitting your boat to go out on patrol and other places.

I hope this helps a little.

Happy Hunting!
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote