SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-11, 08:01 AM   #6751
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
Uploads: 0
Default TDC Tutorial

Since I felt I need to improve my knowledge about the use of the TDC I downloaded the tutorial by TDW in post 2.

Still I don't really get it.
I watch the video and I've even made a document with notes on step by step.
I see that I must swith the TDC to Manual and then set speed and AoB + send the values to the TDC. Then switch man. off.
But, when I watch the video I really don't get how to determine the AoB...
When I use the Stadimeter my XO returns to me with ridiculous values like speed 145 Kts and AoB e.g. -54 even if I in the scope visually can estimate it to be approx. 125...

Is there any other tutorial to really teach me about how to properly operate the TDC?
I've lokoed around for one but I don't find any.

Could someone assist me please.

//
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 08:23 AM   #6752
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post
Since I felt I need to improve my knowledge about the use of the TDC I downloaded the tutorial by TDW in post 2.

Still I don't really get it.
I watch the video and I've even made a document with notes on step by step.
I see that I must swith the TDC to Manual and then set speed and AoB + send the values to the TDC. Then switch man. off.
But, when I watch the video I really don't get how to determine the AoB...
When I use the Stadimeter my XO returns to me with ridiculous values like speed 145 Kts and AoB e.g. -54 even if I in the scope visually can estimate it to be approx. 125...

Is there any other tutorial to really teach me about how to properly operate the TDC?
I've lokoed around for one but I don't find any.

Could someone assist me please.

//
Check here, I have made some that work within the game.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177725

The "fast90" will take you through most of the TDC use.
Also the "range aob practice tutorial will cover more.

When you get used to that try "RAOBF"
Old 03-13-11, 10:33 AM   #6753
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Since I can now read mouse buttons and the mousewheel I'm thinking about redoing what controls the RAOBF wheel. Currently it's linked to the AOB TDC dial and I'm thinking about changing that to the mousewheel. This way you can rotate the inner dial with the mousewheel and not screw up the AOB TDC dial. Thoughts
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 11:10 AM   #6754
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Since I can now read mouse buttons and the mousewheel I'm thinking about redoing what controls the RAOBF wheel. Currently it's linked to the AOB TDC dial and I'm thinking about changing that to the mousewheel. This way you can rotate the inner dial with the mousewheel and not screw up the AOB TDC dial. Thoughts

Old 03-13-11, 11:14 AM   #6755
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

I agree Trevally. Rotating the RAOBF inner dial via mousewheel is much better (shift + mousewheel to rotate faster) Just coded and tested it and it works excellent!

Going to do the attack disc the same way

I'll send you and Magnum v10 as of now.
Old 03-13-11, 11:31 AM   #6756
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSeal View Post
Ok here it is, when deselecting autoload of torpedoes and saving. Well the autoload is always checked and needing correction once loaded. Is there a way to make the choice of auto loading disabled permanent by unticking the option?

I want to select which torps are loaded based on the situation without having to remember changing this each loaded game and firing torps.
Added a new user option that controls this. Will be available in test version 10 (TorpedoAutoloadingEnabled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post
I run New UIs TDC 6.4.0 test 9. Great progress.

So far the only thing I've noticed is this:

Every time I start up the game and enter any scope I have to open the settings for the HUD and tick the settings for the crosshairs.
I.e. they got deactivated when I exited the game last time.

//
Was due to error in my code. Fixed in test version 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charognard View Post
Just tested again now, any time a load my game, i must delete the Pagelayout_Draggables.TDW if i want find the SOAN
What's probably happening is you have SOAN open (you clicked the cover and opened it) and you have dragged it so that the middle part of it is offscreen. Now you exit the game in that condition. Am I correct? If so, I can see how this can be a problem and I'll have to look for a solution.
Old 03-13-11, 12:23 PM   #6757
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by charognard View Post
Do the correct action order is :
1 Lock
2 identify
3 follow the target
4 find AOb
5 Use stadimeter
6 Press "find speed icon"
7 Wait at least 1 min
8 Unpress "find speed icon"

XO is enable, It happen if i m lock a target, Move on navmap and come again on Periscope view.
repeat 4-8 for additional speed measurements. Everytime you use the speed estimator it calculates the average speed (from all previous speed measurements since you locked onto the contact). So multiple speed measurements will give you an average speed that you can use (would be more accurate)

NOTE: After the first time you use the stadimeter on a contact (that you have locked on), each additional time you use the stadimeter the navigator will calculate speed and aob from that range reading and the previous range reading. This speed value has nothing to do with the value given by the speed estimator.

The XO TDC dialog box disappearing I can't duplicate. I went to both the attack and obs scope and did the following:
- turned TDC on
- locked onto a contact (did not identify it)
- brought up nav map
- moved nav map around with mouse
- exited navmap which brought me back to the scope I was using
- XO TDC dialog box still visible

I found a solution to the SOAN disappearing problem when user leaves it open and drags it offscreen and exits game. It will be available in test version 10 (for those I just sent test version 10 to it does not contain this fix)
Old 03-13-11, 12:45 PM   #6758
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoianm View Post
@TDW .... each time when i enter in game i must to reset my SOAN (tested more than 5 times) ... and would be posible to keep the position of the ship centered on the ERM after we did identification... if i close and i want to reopen the ERM i must to search again in the list until i find the ship checked with green like un the pictures:

you can also observe that my SOAN is missing again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongel View Post
I can confirm that, yesterday I deleted the correct.TDW file and got it working, today it's gone again.
I'm sending you all revised test version 10 to see if it cures the missing SOAN problem. Let me know whether it does or doesn't.

The stock ERM I cannot manipulate to keep the ship centered that you selected. Same goes for Reaper7's ERM (because he uses the stock ERM)
Old 03-13-11, 12:56 PM   #6759
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
I'm sending you all revised test version 10 to see if it cures the missing SOAN problem. Let me know whether it does or doesn't.

The stock ERM I cannot manipulate to keep the ship centered that you selected. Same goes for Reaper7's ERM (because he uses the stock ERM)
k ... but for example you can udate your dds base for stock ERM with the new and correct informations from your SOAN?... and you can add also more information pls... for example like now you have displayed the ship draft, ship max speed and ship tonnage... i woul like to have ship mast height and ship lenght displayed... i know i can found that on SOAN but i think will be good to have this in ERM also
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 12:59 PM   #6760
Trevally.
Navy Seal

I think that if possible you should remove the XO ERM and go
with the SOAN only
Old 03-13-11, 01:00 PM   #6761
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoianm View Post
k ... but for example you can udate your dds base for stock ERM with the new and correct informations from your SOAN?... and you can add also more information pls... for example like now you have displayed the ship draft, ship max speed and ship tonnage... i woul like to have ship mast height and ship lenght displayed... i know i can found that on SOAN but i think will be good to have this in ERM also
The whole reason I made SOAN was because of the limitations of the stock ERM. There were things I wanted to add to the stock ERM but it was next to impossible, if not impossible, to do. So I did what any good programmer would do and make his own
Old 03-13-11, 01:14 PM   #6762
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
The whole reason I made SOAN was because of the limitations of the stock ERM. There were things I wanted to add to the stock ERM but it was next to impossible, if not impossible, to do. So I did what any good programmer would do and make his own
... i understand...the reason because i started to use ERM last time was because of SOAN problem in last test version of new uis... but now if the problem is solved i do not need enymore the ERM (like trevally said also)... i will go to check if is ok now
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 07:23 PM   #6763
Vympel
Watch

Downloads: 55

Is there a way to disable teleport option? Thank you TDW for keeping this game alive
Vympel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 07:27 PM   #6764
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vympel View Post
Is there a way to disable teleport option? Thank you TDW for keeping this game alive
Yes. Don't bring up the teleport bar or press any of the teleport icons in the officer's bars. Or are you referring to something else
Old 03-13-11, 07:45 PM   #6765
Vympel
Watch

Downloads: 55

Quote:
Yes. Don't bring up the teleport bar or press any of the teleport icons in the officer's bars. Or are you referring to something else
I know that , but I am tempted to press it just because its there and I lack self control or so my girlfriend tells me.It's ok I might have to turn the entire hud off so I don't see it.
Vympel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dbrn, favorite, new ui