SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-11-19, 01:24 PM   #1
CrimsonAlucard
Swabbie

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0
Default Career Playable Northampton-class for SH4?

Hello there,

I'm new to this site, but I've been playing Silent Hunter 4 for a while and I'm an avid lover of naval history. When, I discovered this site, I was pleased to find it active and, from what I've seen, friendly. I was even more pleased to find several high quality mods for SH4 including a mod for a playable single player Northampton-class heavy cruiser for the single missions. Upon further investigation I found mods that made career playable ships for the famous Iowa-class battleships and Baltimore-class heavy cruisers. This got me wondering, is there any chance a career playable version of the Northampton could be made for SH4? I'd love to go sailing in career mod with the old "treaty cruisers." I knid of feel like Christopher Walken form SNL, "I could really use more cowbell." Anyways, any feedback or response would be most helpful.

CrimsonAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 01:27 PM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Welcome aboard, Alucard.. if that is even your real name!

Your question might get more attention in the SH4 Mods Workshop section of the forum.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 01:34 PM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Thread moved.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 01:46 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

CrimsonAlucard!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 04:32 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Bismarck's Northampton:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4392

ETR3(SS)'s Baltimore:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5410

The "Ships" section here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...p?do=cat&id=77

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 05:46 AM   #6
CrimsonAlucard
Swabbie

Wow, talk about helpful responses. That was quicker than I had anticipated. Lol! Anyways, thanks for the advice concerning the mod page for this thread. I found that after I posted it, but hey it's always a learning experience. Anyway's, propbeanie, I am aware of Bismarcks's Northampton mod, it is excellent, however, unfortunately it can't be played in career mode. The Baltimore however can be and I've been having some fun with it. Do you think there is any chance a career playable Northampton could be made?
Old 03-12-19, 07:51 AM   #7
propbeanie

Eh, every once in a while, you'll see someone do it. The Northampton could be played in Career Mode just by adding it to the CareerStart menu and adding it to and assigning it missions in the Flotillas file. Of course, most of the missions in the game are for subs, so you'd have to make some sensible missions for surface vessels, and then you'd want to add those to the PatrolObjectives file, which is what the Flotillas file points to... I haven't found any of the threads or posts where someone talks about how to go about that just yet, but Peabody, ETR3(SS) and a few others have done posts on doing that...

Old 03-12-19, 01:29 PM   #8
CrimsonAlucard
Swabbie

Cool thanks.
Old 03-12-19, 01:41 PM   #9
CrimsonAlucard
Swabbie

Lol, I just found out that I can spawn as a Northampton-class in Manilla 1941 in the Career. That makes historical sense as the U.S.S. Houston was the flagship of the Asiatic Fleet. Thanks for the help guys. Speaking of that, is there anyway to change the name of the ship in game so it's not just the U.S.S. Northampton and could be perhaps the Houston?

Last edited by CrimsonAlucard; 03-12-19 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 03:42 PM   #10
propbeanie

In a Single Mission, when the ship is added to the scenario in the Mission Editor, you can change its name at the bottom of the Properties dialog. You do not have that in the Campaign. You can try changing its DisplayName in the Data / Roster / American / Sea folder in the Northampton.cfg file, but I don't remember if that's enough. If it doesn't work, put it back... You can't change the ClassName without renaming everything in its Sea folder also, as well as the folder name, and if you do that, you may as well "clone" the thing, and have a Houston and a Northampton...

Old 03-13-19, 03:43 AM   #11
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonAlucard View Post
Speaking of that, is there anyway to change the name of the ship in game so it's not just the U.S.S. Northampton and could be perhaps the Houston?
I think I can help on that.

The file to change is in the Roster of the mod. Search for the American submarines part, and locate the one that allows the game to recognize the ship as playable. Open it with a text editor and in the last part you will see the possible names in the form of different units:

[Unit 1]
Name=Ship name
DOC=Start date
DOD=Finish date

You can either change one of the already existing units, or add a new one. But if you want to play USS Houston exclusively, leave it as the only unit.
Old 03-14-19, 03:52 PM   #12
CrimsonAlucard
Swabbie

Cool, thanks for the help.