SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-17, 01:23 AM   #256
ijnfleetadmiral
Ensign

Downloads: 116
Uploads: 0

Just finished my firstU-boat campaign on Silent Hunter 4, and I made a Wiki bio of my character...let me know what you guys think!

http://silent-hunters.wikia.com/wiki/Kurt_Hossel

ijnfleetadmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 06:04 AM   #257
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ Nice one

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-17, 01:00 PM   #258
cookiemonste
Medic

Downloads: 78

I don't know what it is, but I am starting to hate SH4.
cookiemonste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-17, 02:05 PM   #259
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonste View Post
I don't know what it is, but I am starting to hate SH4.
... ???

"Wo bleiben die Meldungen, ich will eine vernünftige Meldung... VERDAMMT MOCHMAL!!!"
-----------------------------------------

No - now seriously ... where are the problems?

Last edited by Bleiente; 04-07-17 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-07-17, 05:51 PM   #260
cookiemonste
Medic

Well, where do I start?
The damage controll is not working, the screen is a total mess. It does not tell you if an object is destroyed or just damaged, I think Silent Hunter 3 is much better in that regard. I had a damage controll team set up to repair damage during the patrol, they never did the job. Even though I saw the dudes working on the boat. The whole crew management is bad in my opinion.
The shift rotation is nice though.
There is no way to requisition new boats, I nead you earn them, okay I get that part but what do I have to do?
I'm stuck with that worthless bathtub of an S-boat.
Also some texts and pictures are not showing up, but that is the mod I guess. (trigger maru)
In general I find parts of the UI absolute crap.
Old 04-07-17, 06:42 PM   #261
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It sounds like you have a messed-up mod install, or the game install. Go ahead and start a new thread in this area, and someone will get you set-up. TMO is an excellent mod. If you get going good, you might even like Bleiente's Mod Soup, which is his own brew of TMO + RSRDC. Or, you might (of course) consider Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition, which is in beta.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-17, 07:27 PM   #262
cookiemonste
Medic

I don't really have any special mod enabled.
My set up:
But still, there is something that really bugs me about the UI that I can't put my finger on. Plus the mentioned mess in the damage controll screen.
And the only thing I am missing, is the picture of my medal when I decide to look at it.
But I think I'll stay away from this game, I'm just not having fun.
Edit: And now I have floating enemy ships that are imune to torpedos, yup, never going to touch tha game agian.

Last edited by cookiemonste; 04-08-17 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-10-17, 05:05 AM   #263
Jonesy
Sailor man

Downloads: 27

Still playing....just went by Truk lagoon and found 5 ships just sitting stationary, they paid for that..

when I go back to base I got offered a new submarine, took it...but unfortunately that meant I lost my surface search radar ....well...hopefully it's available again for upgrade after the next mission.
Old 04-10-17, 06:52 AM   #264
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
I don't really have any special mod enabled.
My set up:
But still, there is something that really bugs me about the UI that I can't put my finger on. Plus the mentioned mess in the damage controll screen.
And the only thing I am missing, is the picture of my medal when I decide to look at it.
But I think I'll stay away from this game, I'm just not having fun.
Edit: And now I have floating enemy ships that are imune to torpedos, yup, never going to touch tha game agian.
Cookie monster you have corrupted your game files with a great and self-inflicted case of mod soup. This time you'll have to reinstall the game. I'd recommend clearing out your \SH4 directory in your \Documents folder too. Then if you are really irritated you need to download, learn and use the Silent Hunter 4 Corruption Management System (SH4CMS). Just switching back and forth from TMO to FOTRSU in the same game directory is fatal. Just load up the wrong game save and your game is toast.

The doctor prescribes a complete reinstallation of SH4 from scratch, after total uninstallation, then using SH4CMS before you ever play the game. From then on, whenever you have mod soup you can be back to a perfect installation in under 10 minutes. No reinstall ever necessary again.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-17, 08:24 AM   #265
cookiemonste
Medic

Where did it go wrong? Because I stuck to the manual in the Pacifc enviroment folder.
Old 04-10-17, 10:00 AM   #266
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

You don't have to go wrong to corrupt your game installation. Some mods, like TMO, have defects that corrupt the game just by uninstalling them. The instructions with SH4CMS tell you to regularly uninstall all your mods and do a file compare with originals function with JSGME. If it says files are changed or missing you have corruption.

And because it's a total waste of time to figure out where the corruption came from, SH4CMS just fixes it, no matter what the cause, no matter what the corruption is. You don't have to identify what files are affected or what the cause was. Why should you even have to care?

It's like rebooting Windows when things get wonky. Sure you could spend hours figuring out what happened and figuring out how to fix it. Or take a few seconds to reboot. SH4CMS is like that.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-17, 06:16 PM   #267
cookiemonste
Medic

I'm sorry, I'm just do dumb to install that tool. All I get is error messages.

Last edited by cookiemonste; 04-11-17 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-17-17, 04:24 PM   #268
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

I seem to have noticed a recent surge in the number of questions posted by new or returning players. Is it my imagination, or has SH4 recently experienced an upsurge in activity?
Old 04-25-17, 10:35 PM   #269
Mechac
Nub

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Well, where do I start?
The damage controll is not working, the screen is a total mess. It does not tell you if an object is destroyed or just damaged, I think Silent Hunter 3 is much better in that regard. I had a damage controll team set up to repair damage during the patrol, they never did the job. Even though I saw the dudes working on the boat. The whole crew management is bad in my opinion.
The shift rotation is nice though.
There is no way to requisition new boats, I nead you earn them, okay I get that part but what do I have to do?
I'm stuck with that worthless bathtub of an S-boat.
Also some texts and pictures are not showing up, but that is the mod I guess. (trigger maru)
In general I find parts of the UI absolute crap.
You'll be able get better sub after few missions. S-18 is hard to begin with because its slow and you cant outrun most of merchants. Torpedoes have shorter range, but are at least realiable compared to Mark 14s.
I would suggest to begin with Porpoise class as its more solid sub. S-18 needs more patience and planning ahead.
Mechac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-17, 11:30 PM   #270
leongt
Swabbie

Downloads: 50

Just started to play SH4 after a long lay off and I finally managed to get the Titan to work in campaign mode but then I had to do one of those photo missions but the titan was too big to get in close in the shallow white section of the map while submerged so I'm unable to take a photo.

I did try on the surface but the take phot icon didn't come up, has anyone had this problem
leongt is offline   Reply With Quote