SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-12-17, 10:23 PM   #4681
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
I'm using a clean copy of SH4 v 1.5 and the beta 6.1 FOTRSU.
My "Seawolf" just sank a Big Modern Hansa Freighter in the South China Sea (January 1942). I noticed no sound contact and no sound on the hydrophones throughout the approach. Fired 4 torps, 3 hit, 1 dud. She sank quickly. Dick O'Kane attack method.
Even though I could hear nothing on the sound equipment I noticed that the green light came on when I scanned in the direction of the sunken ship. It did not come on at all during the approach.
Also no "sunk ship" icon on the navigation map after the sinking although I did see the sinking noted in the logbook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I made a rookie mistake. I thought I could get away with a simple JSGME removal of v0.56 and addition of v0.60. Of course, that produced the results I posted above.

I went back, deleted the SH4 folders from My Documents, deleted the Silent_Hunter_4 folder from C:\Games\Ubisoft, and replaced it with my previously created pristine v1.5. After then adding v0.60 via JSGME, all is well and proper. I have sentenced myself to the paint and barnacle detail for 30 days. I am properly chastened, if not a bit humble.
Glad you're going fine now torpedobait... All the changed ship calls did you in on this new one...

@ Front Runner, you are the third one now with similar sound issues and the no sunken icon... The missing icon might be on purpose, but the missing sounds and sonar aren't... We'll put some dogs on the trail...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-13-17 at 01:17 AM. Reason: I almost didn't make it past 2nd grade spelling...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 01:16 AM   #4682
propbeanie

OK, a second run through cdrsubron7's excellent Bungo Suido mission, only this time I did it a little different, and it did not crash because of the Kongo:

Here's the "big boys"

And the whole gang:

I'm over there on the "left", closer to the Kongo, but not close enough to shoot...

That's my Nav Chart, I'm the little circle, and the line attached is my route. The group is about where I've done the double circle with the compass. As described above by Front Runner, I can spin the Sonar head, and see the console's light go to green, but my sonar man just had it sitting on about 290, not spinning it, in spite of "telling" him a number of times to report contacts...

Of course, at the time, I figured they were still a bit away from me and out in front of me, not 7200 yards to starboard, so I stuck my nose up, and this feller has come over to greet me:

Needless to say, I'm now trying to get away from him, and just survive the encounter... We gotta tweak a bit more.

Old 06-13-17, 06:00 AM   #4683
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Downloads: 148
Uploads: 0
Default Houston we have a problem!

I'm trying to fulfill a troop insertion but a) i got below 700yards but still nothing happens b) somehow the ship engine is not working anymore by no means.

Suggestions?

PS: i see no damages
xXNightEagleXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 06:09 AM   #4684
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Glad you're going fine now torpedobait... All the changed ship calls did you in on this new one...

@ Front Runner, you are the third one now with similar sound issues and the no sunken icon... The missing icon might be on purpose, but the missing sounds and sonar aren't... We'll put some dogs on the trail...
@ propbeanie The missing "sunk ship" icon would only make sense if no other "sunk ship" icons appeared (unless FOTRSU is simulating JANAC) . Earlier in the patrol I came across a couple of U.S. Merchants engaged in a surface battle with a Jap armed auxiliary ship. The U.S. ships were holding their own. Both teams stayed on course throughout the gun battle. At first I thought that the U.S. ships were firing at me so I submerged and then watched the action through the periscope. It was pretty cool to watch. I finally got into position and sunk the Jap. There was a red "sunk ship" icon on the nav map.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 06:47 AM   #4685
Badger343rd
Loader

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 3

Once the 0.61 installs, it creates a rar file in the main directory named 110_FallOfTheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.60_KongoFix... is that necessary to have if I'm patching too 0.61??
Badger343rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 07:01 AM   #4686
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger343rd View Post
Once the 0.61 installs, it creates a rar file in the main directory named 110_FallOfTheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.60_KongoFix... is that necessary to have if I'm patching too 0.61??
The patch is necessary on a bare v0.60, since the BBKongo is set to UnitType=19, when it should be UnitType=11. That is how the game identifies which ship to load, and it will crash the game if one part of the game asks for a UnitType=11, and the other part has UnitType=19. The "fix" should be in there already, but there might be a crossed wire here...

You could look in the Data / Roster / Japan / Sea folder, and open BBKongo.cfg with a text editor and look and see if the fourth line says "UnitType=11 or 19. Notepad can do it, but you'll have to open Notepad first, drill down through those folders on your computer in the Open dialog, and tell Notepad to look for "All files (*.*)" in the file type drop-down box, then open and look at the BBKongo.cfg contents. Or, just put 110_FallOfTheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.60_KongoFix over in the MODS folder and unzip it with something like 7zip. Then activate it "just-in-case". If it's already been applied, no harm no foul.

Either that, or wait for Rockin Robbins to come along and assure you of how the v0.61 is made...

Old 06-13-17, 07:04 AM   #4687
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
@ propbeanie The missing "sunk ship" icon would only make sense if no other "sunk ship" icons appeared (unless FOTRSU is simulating JANAC) . Earlier in the patrol I came across a couple of U.S. Merchants engaged in a surface battle with a Jap armed auxiliary ship. The U.S. ships were holding their own. Both teams stayed on course throughout the gun battle. At first I thought that the U.S. ships were firing at me so I submerged and then watched the action through the periscope. It was pretty cool to watch. I finally got into position and sunk the Jap. There was a red "sunk ship" icon on the nav map.
The Sen Toku especially can hold its own, but there are several IJN submarines with two big deck guns, and they can do some damage also... Do you remember which sub 'model' that was that you sank and had the icon? I've gotta get back downstairs to the lah-bore-ah-torie and get back to "testing" the mod myself... multiple hours worth of "testing"...

Old 06-13-17, 07:13 AM   #4688
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx View Post
I'm trying to fulfill a troop insertion but a) i got below 700yards but still nothing happens b) somehow the ship engine is not working anymore by no means.

Suggestions?

PS: i see no damages
Where are you trying to do this insert xXNightEagleXx? What date is it? What is your home port?

Some of the insertion objectives are weird. What the game seems to expect is for you to drive your boat in to the "zone" while submerged, and then surface and launch. If you've come in on the surface, the arrival at the drop zone isn't recognized. In those situations, sometimes submerging to periscope depth (or even a few feet below) and then resurfacing works, and you can then launch. Watch the bottom of your keel though, if you're in the shallows. You should get a pop-up on your screen, similar to the "order" screen that pops-up when when the enemy is spotted and asks if you want to "Continue with current orders", or "Engage the enemy" or "Submerge to periscope" depth, only the "launch" dialog is NOT static, and will "disappear" with an incorrect button push. Look in the upper right corner of the screen, and see if you have a "Launch" icon up there. Last but not least, your boat has to be practically stopped, with your engines set to All Stop, and the boat's speed down below 2 knots - maybe, might have to be one knot or lower...

Old 06-13-17, 07:18 AM   #4689
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Downloads: 148

Quote:
Where are you trying to do this insert xXNightEagleXx? What date is it? What is your home port?

Some of the insertion objectives are weird. What the game seems to expect is for you to drive your boat in to the "zone" while submerged, and then surface and launch. If you've come in on the surface, the arrival at the drop zone isn't recognized. In those situations, sometimes submerging to periscope depth (or even a few feet below) and then resurfacing works, and you can then launch. Watch the bottom of your keel though, if you're in the shallows. You should get a pop-up on your screen, similar to the "order" screen that pops-up when when the enemy is spotted and asks if you want to "Continue with current orders", or "Engage the enemy" or "Submerge to periscope" depth, only the "launch" dialog is NOT static, and will "disappear" with an incorrect button push. Look in the upper right corner of the screen, and see if you have a "Launch" icon up there. Last but not least, your boat has to be practically stopped, with your engines set to All Stop, and the boat's speed down below 2 knots - maybe, might have to be one knot or lower...
solved by saving, quitting and reloading. Apparently the game got stuck into the launch boat window that didn't popup
xXNightEagleXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 07:22 AM   #4690
propbeanie

interesting... do you have any other mods added in? did you maybe activate FotRSU over another active mod?

If you've got it still, let us know where you sailed from (home port), what the approximate date was, and where this insertion was, so that we can look through the files, and make certain there isn't something amiss in the files causing the issue you had...

Old 06-13-17, 08:43 AM   #4691
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215

Quote:
The Sen Toku especially can hold its own, but there are several IJN submarines with two big deck guns, and they can do some damage also... Do you remember which sub 'model' that was that you sank and had the icon? I've gotta get back downstairs to the lah-bore-ah-torie and get back to "testing" the mod myself... multiple hours worth of "testing"...
@ propbeanie It wasn't a sub it was the Auxiliary Cruiser Toro Maru class 11450 tons. It was heading north, the U.S. merchants were heading south. They battled it out. The ACTM was damaged and continued on course after the U.S. freighters were out of range. I made my approach and boom...!! Red "sunk ship" icon on the nav map.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 06-13-17 at 09:58 AM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 10:08 AM   #4692
sagelink
Swabbie

Downloads: 11
Default No Hydrophone Contacts

Hello all, I wanted to start by saying what an excellent job you guys have done so far, it really makes the game much more enjoyable! I do have a question however.

I wasn't able to find any suitable guide within the mod directory folders, and I tried scouring through this thread but there are over 310 pages and it's hard to pinpoint anything exactly.

For some reason I am unable to hear anything through the hydrophones. I understand you can't hear anything while surfaced, but even when I'm dived, no matter the depth, I can't hear anything on the hydrophones except for my own props, nor can I receive hydrophone contacts updates by the sonarman. For example, I was able to find a big modern troop transport by means of visual sighting, and even when I got down to periscope depth I couldn't hear the ship, even when it was at a 45-degree angle at just over 2,000 yards. Is there something that should be done that I missed? Thank you!

EDIT: I'd like to make note that this is a fresh Steam installation with no other mods installed, just FOTRSU

Last edited by sagelink; 06-13-17 at 10:18 AM.
sagelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 11:01 AM   #4693
propbeanie

Yes sagelink, there is an issue with the Sonar, and the saw and hammer are out in-force trying to get it back into shape...

@ Front Runner, I don't know why I took that as being a submarine... - oldmanitis I guess Good on you for letting the merchies beat him up and weaken him for you to get the credit... It's usually the other way around

Now, @ ~EVERYONE~ - we've found another ship with bad calls, and it is bad calls, not bad ship files, so this one is mine... Thankfully, it's not encountered very often, but the NAuxCru can cause issues also. So, if you've got the Kongo fix in, and you still CTD, it's probably that dirty rotten scoundrel NAuxCru doing it... I'll get something sent to RR ASAP so he can add it into the mix...

Old 06-13-17, 11:09 AM   #4694
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Yes sagelink, there is an issue with the Sonar, and the saw and hammer are out in-force trying to get it back into shape...

@ Front Runner, I don't know why I took that as being a submarine... - oldmanitis I guess Good on you for letting the merchies beat him up and weaken him for you to get the credit... It's usually the other way around

Now, @ ~EVERYONE~ - we've found another ship with bad calls, and it is bad calls, not bad ship files, so this one is mine... Thankfully, it's not encountered very often, but the NAuxCru can cause issues also. So, if you've got the Kongo fix in, and you still CTD, it's probably that dirty rotten scoundrel NAuxCru doing it... I'll get something sent to RR ASAP so he can add it into the mix...
I've used the NAusCru in a couple of my other missions, off the top of my head can't recall which ones they are at the moment.

I will look into them more next week when I'm on vacation.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 06-13-17 at 11:56 AM.
cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 11:22 AM   #4695
sagelink
Swabbie

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Ah, good to know, thank you for the response!
sagelink is offline   Reply With Quote