SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-18-13, 12:07 PM   #1
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248
Uploads: 0
Default Explosions, SH4 vs SH5.

Hi all,

This might be a question TDW can answer regarding the explosion effects in SH5. Personally I've never been happy with the explosion graphics in SH5 and find the existing ones rather 2D looking and flat. I was a big fan of the SH4 effects and used TDW's mod for them in SH3 too as they are much more effective. I wondered whether it was possible to totally replace the explosions in sh5 with their sh4 counterparts? I know with FX Update there have been elements of the old style used but not the explosions. I even tried a mod called Old Style Explosions (not sure who by now), but even this didn't satisfy me.

I'm guessing that a direct port isn't possible due to engine differences but I'd really like to see these effects reworked. Also, I was looking at SH4's zones.cfg and trying to work out how to produce more realistic sinking mechanics, including capsizing and more noticeable listing for damaged ships. I'm sick of 90% of ships sinking straight down flat and I'm experimenting myself on flooding time values to see how they affect sinking mechanics. Some info on this area would also be appreciated. Although SH5 is a gorgeous looking game, after playing SH3/4 there still are some areas that ruin the immersion for me despite many improvements from stock by the modding community.

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 01:24 PM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

capsizing and more noticeable listing for damaged ships can be done using the center of gravity setting, i believe its called the GC_Height in the sim files

as to the rest of it, good luck with it and we will give you all the help and advise you need to start modding it yourself but thats going to be a whole lot of long hours working on it and testing things
Old 03-18-13, 03:29 PM   #3
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
capsizing and more noticeable listing for damaged ships can be done using the center of gravity setting, i believe its called the GC_Height in the sim files

as to the rest of it, good luck with it and we will give you all the help and advise you need to start modding it yourself but thats going to be a whole lot of long hours working on it and testing things
I've had ships near-capsizing with the new FX update. Haven't seen any side-roll yet, but plenty of going bow/stern down.
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 04:08 PM   #4
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Try AST V2: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=193825
It's compatible with FX and old style
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 06:24 PM   #5
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Try AST V2: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=193825
It's compatible with FX and old style
Thanks for the link, looks like what I'm looking for, almost, but the discussion in that thread is more interesting to me regarding capsizing. Maybe this should be looked at again, I don't want every ship to capsize, but the larger ones that lose buoyancy on one side should have the possibility, and at the very least should display a heavy list.

I'll give this a try and report back.

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote