SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-12, 07:12 AM   #1
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] Alternate Sinking Mechanism

This mod will modify the way ships sink in SH5. It is based on my "Longer Sinking Times" mod for SH4.

The HP damage generated by each torpedo has been reduced by roughly 50%, but the various ship's compartments have been tweaked so the flooding damage generated by each torpedo remains about the same. This roughly doubles the amount of Hit Points each ship has and makes it less likely it will sink from HP depletion and more likely it will sink from progressive flooding, since it now takes roughly twice as many torpedoes to deplete all the hit points. This also has the added benefit of delaying the "Unit destroyed" message in many cases.

The flotability factor of various ship's compartments has also been adjusted to accelerate sinking when much of the ship is flooded. This makes it less likely that a ship will hang around when its deck is already under water.

new info on version 2: v2 bumps up the torpedo damage to 60% of stock. It was 50% in version 1. Basic SH5 ships seem to be more resistant to damage than SH4 ships and the small increase seems to help. I did not want to bump it up too high so it will still work well against imported SH4 ships. I left both versions up since they both work. v2 will result in faster sinking times.

This mod is compatible with TDW's FX update mod and with stock SH5 v1.2. Instal after FX update and Open Horizons II, let it overwrite the Zones.cfg file in both.

All feedback will be appreciated.

link to version 1:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ph23vc...AST_SH5_v1.zip

link to version 2:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/554h0p...AST_SH5_v2.zip

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 04-04-12 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added info on version 2
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 10:21 AM   #2
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Thanks Bilge_Rat, downloading now
Old 03-28-12, 01:06 PM   #3
arnahud2
Frogman

Downloads: 724

Thanks too,

SH5 needed this correction. You did it, so

Cheers

arnahud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 01:19 PM   #4
LemonA
Lieutenant

Downloads: 66

It would be not badly to have a video to look at this new sinking behaviour.
(Any details about the sinking time before and after?)
Mod fully compatible with TDW's UI v6.9.0?
LemonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 01:35 PM   #5
Echolot
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 567

Thank you, Bilge Rat.

Echolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 02:01 PM   #6
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonA View Post
It would be not badly to have a video to look at this new sinking behaviour.
(Any details about the sinking time before and after?)
Mod fully compatible with TDW's UI v6.9.0?
No video, but you can use this mission originally posted by Trevally to test, which is what I used in tweaking the mod:

https://rapidshare.com/files/3435443...nking_Tests.7z

I tested it with and without TDW's FX, IRAI and UI mod and there should not be any conflict. The file has all the specific custom tweaks TDW had made for his FX mod so it is fully compatible, but it should work as well with imported SH4 ships.

In terms of sinking times, it is on par with Arclight's BRF and TDW's FX mod. The big difference is that you will see much less ships instantly going up as torches and burning from stem to stern. However, even ships which appear to have little damage may later on sink either from progressive flooding or from damage caused by ongoing fires from TDW's FX mod.

From my testing, 50-60% of merchants still go down with one torp, although you may have to observe it for some times to see if it will go down on its own or will require another torp.

It is relatively easy to adjust the sinking times and/or torpedo damage, so I posted this as a WIP until I get more feedback.
Old 03-29-12, 04:09 PM   #7
pedrobas
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 301

Any feedback from this mod?
pedrobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 07:53 AM   #8
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

I have a new version I will be uploading soon. I bumped up the torpedo damage slightly. Native SH5 ships are tougher than SH4 ships even though the torpedo.ZON and Zones.CFG file is identical in both games. What also makes it more complicated is the fact that crew abilities can bump up torpedo damage, this is a real balancing act.
Old 04-01-12, 08:33 AM   #9
pedrobas
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
I have a new version I will be uploading soon. I bumped up the torpedo damage slightly. Native SH5 ships are tougher than SH4 ships even though the torpedo.ZON and Zones.CFG file is identical in both games. What also makes it more complicated is the fact that crew abilities can bump up torpedo damage, this is a real balancing act.
Thanks for the info
pedrobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 01:02 PM   #10
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

version 2 is up, detail in first post. Unless someone sees any major problems, this is final.
Old 04-04-12, 01:35 PM   #11
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
version 2 is up, detail in first post. Unless someone sees any major problems, this is final.
Thank you, Bilge Rat!
I'll test this one))
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-12, 09:19 AM   #12
Mate

Downloads: 46

Many thanks, a very nice mod!

I like the sinking behaviour, I've also noticed tha ships were visibly rocked by impacting torpedoes (I do not think this was the case with vanilla SH5 or other mods). Sinking looks good, ships do not tend to sink at 90 deg angle as much, the angles at which they go down look much more plausible.

The improvements that would make this mode better would be disabling underwater explosions that look completely unreal and happen almost always onece ship goes underwater.

And heavier listing would be great too, HMS Bahram like capsizing is still impossible.

But very nice mod, many thank for sharing it!
89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 12:42 PM   #13
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 View Post
Many thanks, a very nice mod!

I like the sinking behaviour, I've also noticed tha ships were visibly rocked by impacting torpedoes (I do not think this was the case with vanilla SH5 or other mods). Sinking looks good, ships do not tend to sink at 90 deg angle as much, the angles at which they go down look much more plausible.

The improvements that would make this mode better would be disabling underwater explosions that look completely unreal and happen almost always onece ship goes underwater.

And heavier listing would be great too, HMS Bahram like capsizing is still impossible.

But very nice mod, many thank for sharing it!
Thanks, glad you like it. I tried to get ships to capsize, but still have not found the variable or if it is even possible. It is easy enough to do in SH4, but sinking seems to work differently in SH5.
Old 05-02-12, 01:22 PM   #14
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Thanks, glad you like it. I tried to get ships to capsize, but still have not found the variable or if it is even possible. It is easy enough to do in SH4, but sinking seems to work differently in SH5.
I have had a BB capsize with me and posted pics - but can't find them

I do have these from SH5:-

EDIT: This is an imported SH4 ship. Could this be the same issue as was there with the mag torps - as in they worked for SH4 ships but not SH5

Last edited by Trevally.; 05-02-12 at 01:38 PM.
Trevally. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 04:49 PM   #15
Mate

Downloads: 46

Quote:
What about the massive explosion which happens almost always when stricken ship is about to disappear underwater? Is that solvable? It's like ships hit points are depleted when it starts drowning and instead of drowning it decides to blow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
I have had a BB capsize with me and posted pics - but can't find them

snip

EDIT: This is an imported SH4 ship. Could this be the same issue as was there with the mag torps - as in they worked for SH4 ships but not SH5
Hmm, very interesting! We nee to show this finding to TDW
89 is offline   Reply With Quote