Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-29-17, 12:03 PM   #1
Cmdr Von Wulfen
Seaman

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default New to SH5 and TWOS mod, a few questions

Hi all. I am new to SH series, just got SH5 yesterday (the Uplay version).
I had seen so many recommendations for TWOS mod and how it improved the game so much I decided to give it a go.
I updated SH5 to the newest version, installed the mod with no problems.
On booting up everything seems to work, I get the TWOS loading screen, and all the flag changes etc.
But, I am unable to do the tutorial missions. I can do the first mission in the campaign, but I don't get the option to do the tutorial.
There is a lot to learn and I would really like to start with the tutorials.
Also, is it possible to disable some of the mods within TWOS, specifically the real navigation and other mods that make it more difficult for a newcomer?
I could always re-enable them once I get more confident.
Cheers
Cmdr Von Wulfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 12:15 PM   #2
skin-nl
KapitainLeutnant

Downloads: 244

Hello Von wulfen

The tutorial mission is not there anymore because its not very helpful

The real navigation mod is optional

Michael
Old 05-29-17, 12:48 PM   #3
Cmdr Von Wulfen
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skin-nl View Post
Hello Von wulfen

The tutorial mission is not there anymore because its not very helpful

The real navigation mod is optional

Michael
Many thanks, Michael.
Out of interest, Is it possible to disable other parts of the mod?
I would like to remove the Darker Nights mod if possible?
I would also like to add a few mods from the optional additional mods link, I did not think to do this when I installed the TWOS, is it possible?
Also, could you explain how the automation menue works? Are there any operations I should automate to ease my journey into the sim?
Cheers
Edit: Is it possible to lock the external camera on your sub?

Last edited by Cmdr Von Wulfen; 05-29-17 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-29-17, 01:59 PM   #4
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 1

Removing the darker nights change might be hard. The mod isn't set up in pieces. If you are able to edit the appropriate file(s) you'd have an edited tWoS version without it. You'd really have to know your nuts and bolts. Perhaps a gamma adjustment and making use of the scope color filters would be enough?

It looks like all of the optional mods can be enabled at any time without issue. You can absolutely do this after installing tWoS but maybe in the middle of a patrol a few would have not flawless changes.

The automation menu is pretty simple. You choose a script from the left (2 columns) and press the > arrow to add it to the active list (3rd column). Highlight it and press "play" button and it will turn green. I recommend the 2-hour patrol fix loop for real navigation.

When on station the hydrophone search with 1-2 hour surface runs in between are excellent for finding contact without a lot of keyboard labor. There are many different ones; find your favorite!
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 02:20 PM   #5
Cmdr Von Wulfen
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
Removing the darker nights change might be hard. The mod isn't set up in pieces. If you are able to edit the appropriate file(s) you'd have an edited tWoS version without it. You'd really have to know your nuts and bolts. Perhaps a gamma adjustment and making use of the scope color filters would be enough?

It looks like all of the optional mods can be enabled at any time without issue. You can absolutely do this after installing tWoS but maybe in the middle of a patrol a few would have not flawless changes.

The automation menu is pretty simple. You choose a script from the left (2 columns) and press the > arrow to add it to the active list (3rd column). Highlight it and press "play" button and it will turn green. I recommend the 2-hour patrol fix loop for real navigation.

When on station the hydrophone search with 1-2 hour surface runs in between are excellent for finding contact without a lot of keyboard labor. There are many different ones; find your favorite!
Great help many thanks.
I dont mind starting a new campaign so there will be no conflicts with saves etc when adding new mods (I am only just out of the harbor lol).
Any chance you could explain how I add these new mods?
I would like to add "Map contact colors" from the additional mods link, and a music mod that I saw where it was playing patriotic music etc from the time period. (Not sure what it was called)
Old 05-31-17, 12:48 PM   #6
Cmdr Von Wulfen
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post

Cheers
Which one is " hydrophone search with 1-2 hour surface runs" I dont seem to be able to find it in the scripts?
Old 05-31-17, 03:07 PM   #7
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 1

In automation menu (gears icon above radio message) there are categories "Search" and "FESearch". Almost anything in those category are patrol searches of some kind.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 03:07 PM   #8
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Cmdr Von Wulfen
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Real Navigation is an optional add on mod and is not compulsory.

The stock tutorial mission has been removed from TWOS.
You now start with Baltic Operation.

Check out the automation menu from the icon and you will see it pretty much self explanatory.
Essential for Real Navigation.
Most popular use is probably the Harbor Pilot.

As regards the darker environment you maybe able to add an additional mod that overrides darker nights.
Check this out
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zlhcpi...ter+Nights.rar
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 03:32 PM   #9
Cmdr Von Wulfen
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post

Check out the automation menu from the icon and you will see it pretty much self explanatory.

As regards the darker environment you maybe able to add an additional mod that overrides darker nights.
Check this out
Great stuff
When I installed the mod, it had an installer where I chose the WoS and moved it to the active mod area. Is this the installer i need to activate in able for me to add new mods? And If so how do i activate it without installing the WoS mod again?
Cheers
Old 05-30-17, 11:59 AM   #10
skin-nl
KapitainLeutnant

Downloads: 244

JSGME is the mod installer.

The TWOS mod needs to be on the top (be the first installed mod)
So everything under can be installed or be deinstalled, you don't have to install the TWOS mod every single time
Old 05-30-17, 01:16 PM   #11
Cmdr Von Wulfen
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skin-nl View Post
JSGME is the mod installer.

The TWOS mod needs to be on the top (be the first installed mod)
So everything under can be installed or be deinstalled, you don't have to install the TWOS mod every single time
Many thanks.
It did not create a shortcut for the JSGME when I installed TWOS. I did a search of my harddrive and found it
I just added, "Map contact colors" and "Auto Ship Recognition" both from the additional mods link Started a new Campaign and all seem to be working fine
Old 05-30-17, 02:12 PM   #12
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi CVW
Currently TWOS v2.0 is quite new and I am sure will be around for quite a while.
You will see updates appear like 2.0.1 and these are installed in the same way as the main mod.
The installer will automatically install in the mods folder and then open JSGME where you will any new mod disabled.
Update 2.0.2 when it appears should be enabled behind the main mod after 2.0.1 is disabled and can be deleted.
The default installation is C:/Ubisoft/Silent Hunter 5 so you will need to use the browse button if your installation is elsewhere.
You will be informed if an update can be done in mid patrol or can only be done in the bunker after the patrol has ended.
vdr1981 (Vecko) always supplies a cumulative text file with each update so you always know what is happening.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-17, 03:29 PM   #13
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr Von Wulfen View Post
Many thanks.
It did not create a shortcut for the JSGME when I installed TWOS. I did a search of my harddrive and found it
Good idea...I'll update the installers to create shortcut called "JSGME-SH5" on user's desktop once the megamod/update is installed...

Quote:
I just added, "Map contact colors" and "Auto Ship Recognition" both from the additional mods link Started a new Campaign and all seem to be working fine
Those are simple addon mods, campaign restart is not required...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-17, 01:14 PM   #14
Cmdr Von Wulfen
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post

Check this out
The link you gave for the for the override of darker nights works great, many thanks
Old 06-02-17, 07:43 PM   #15
kevinsue
Der Einzelgänger

Downloads: 363
Uploads: 3
Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr Von Wulfen View Post
Hi all. I am new to SH series, just got SH5 yesterday (the Uplay version).
I had seen so many recommendations for TWOS mod and how it improved the game so much I decided to give it a go.
I updated SH5 to the newest version, installed the mod with no problems.
On booting up everything seems to work, I get the TWOS loading screen, and all the flag changes etc.
But, I am unable to do the tutorial missions. I can do the first mission in the campaign, but I don't get the option to do the tutorial.
There is a lot to learn and I would really like to start with the tutorials.

Also, is it possible to disable some of the mods within TWOS, specifically the real navigation and other mods that make it more difficult for a newcomer?
I could always re-enable them once I get more confident.
Cheers
There are still some very handy tutorials available in game such as :RAOBF Practice, 4 Bearings Practice, Quick 90° Attack setup etc. Check here for a thread that may point you in the right direction.

"The finest Captain I ever crossed swords and set sail with"
kevinsue is offline   Reply With Quote