SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-17, 01:06 AM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Weird TDC..

since I started playing again, after I attack and as convoy is moving away, when out of visual range and I go to time compression(sometimes even when I dont and just as they get out of range, as contact is breaking boom CTD. I figured it was RSRD or the ship pack I was running with bunch of ships from FOTRS but just had it happen on fresh install of SH 4 with TMO only, no RSRD.

Never had this happen before. I have 8 gigs of RAM. 4 gig patch installed.

Quite annoying, as when I reload the last save(save frequently due to the CTD) then game doesnt some or any of the ships sunks at last save. Ruining the gameplay for sure.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 08:26 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

From what we've seen in FotRSU, just a slight change in some of the game's settings, even just the addition or removal of one vessel in the game, can cause a CTD when using a Save from the previous state of the game. Any little change of that sort may as well be considered a major change, and the Save File shouldn't be used any longer. It'd be nice, and definitely easier, to be able to "test" certain aspects of the game by using a Save point, but Single Missions are the closest we can get, and even then, they oftentimes have to be edited a bit to make certain that the "catalog of assets" is correct. I used to just make a new version of a MIS file and call it say TestMissionA or B or whatever, and then as there'd be 8 different versions of a possible future mod update, I started mixing them up, and loading basically something that was guaranteed to crash the game - quite by accident, of course, but it'd crash nonetheless... very frustrating.

Make certain you're not running into that first. But also suspect a bad case of "mod soup" if a new MIS you create does the same thing...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 12:44 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
From what we've seen in FotRSU, just a slight change in some of the game's settings, even just the addition or removal of one vessel in the game, can cause a CTD when using a Save from the previous state of the game. Any little change of that sort may as well be considered a major change, and the Save File shouldn't be used any longer. It'd be nice, and definitely easier, to be able to "test" certain aspects of the game by using a Save point, but Single Missions are the closest we can get, and even then, they oftentimes have to be edited a bit to make certain that the "catalog of assets" is correct. I used to just make a new version of a MIS file and call it say TestMissionA or B or whatever, and then as there'd be 8 different versions of a possible future mod update, I started mixing them up, and loading basically something that was guaranteed to crash the game - quite by accident, of course, but it'd crash nonetheless... very frustrating.

Make certain you're not running into that first. But also suspect a bad case of "mod soup" if a new MIS you create does the same thing...

I could maybe understand but liek said, even with with a brand new install and still did it.Never did this before. I even installed outside the protected directory as people have advised.Really disappointg because when this sim is modded up and issues solved, it's the best.

This CTD issue has to be solved and if I can just get someone to explain to me how to make the nights darker so can pull off proper night surface attacks it'll be fine.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote