Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-17, 12:43 PM   #1
hcs53
Frogman

Downloads: 557
Uploads: 0
Default Batteries

How do you charge the batteries as soon as possible?
Is it about the speed of the boat?
Does it have to do with surfaced or deckwach?
How long did it take to charge 50%?

I thought it was only about the number of revolutions of the diesel engines.

Henny
hcs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 03:32 PM   #2
hcs53
Frogman

I found:

Picture 1 shows situation when a submarine is surfaced. DC generators/electric machines (EM/G) are powered by diesel engines (DE). One part of produced electric power from the DC generators/electric machines is used for propulsion of the submarine propellers (P) and the rest of produced DC electric power is used for battery (B) charging. In this situation the diesel engines are full loaded. When the submarine's speed is faster the time of the battery charging is longer, because fast speed needs more electric power. Opposite, when the submarine's speed is slower the time for the battery charging is shorter. In that case, slower speed needs a smaller part of the electric power and the bigger part of the electric power remains for the battery charging.

This means on the surface at low speed?

henny
Old 05-20-17, 03:18 AM   #3
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcs53 View Post
I found:

Picture 1 shows situation when a submarine is surfaced. DC generators/electric machines (EM/G) are powered by diesel engines (DE). One part of produced electric power from the DC generators/electric machines is used for propulsion of the submarine propellers (P) and the rest of produced DC electric power is used for battery (B) charging. In this situation the diesel engines are full loaded. When the submarine's speed is faster the time of the battery charging is longer, because fast speed needs more electric power. Opposite, when the submarine's speed is slower the time for the battery charging is shorter. In that case, slower speed needs a smaller part of the electric power and the bigger part of the electric power remains for the battery charging.

This means on the surface at low speed?

henny
I think this is only true for American Fleet submarines and not for German U-Boats (someone correct me if I'm wrong )

Anyway...here's how battery recharging is done in SH games...

When you order battery recharge propulsion , your chief engineer will decouple one engine from propeller shafts, put it to "full speed" and use it to drive the generator which will recharge depleted batteries (No.1 on the picture, ~500RPM).

During that period of time, only engine No.2 will be coupled with (one) propeller shaft which will be used to propel the submarine with reduced speed since only one engine is used for propulsion.

This means that batteries recharging time is not influenced by surface speed. You can sit in one place and still recharge the batteries at the same rate because the engine used to drive the generator is still running at "full speed" and use on board diesel fuel (although engine animation won't be active).

This system may not be 100% accurate for all submarine types but that's how developers implemented it for all subs in all SH games...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 07:01 AM   #4
hcs53
Frogman

Thanks vdr1981
You're right.
When it got dark (low chance of airplanes) I stopped the boat and started charging, it took about 7.5 hours to go from 56% to 100%.

When do you use the two shaft buttons (diesel / electric) to turn on / off, when you have damage?