Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-17, 05:20 PM   #1321
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 05-23-17, 07:33 AM   #1322
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

A little something for those lost in Manchester yesterday and for England herself. I can see England as a whole, singing this in unison and it seems sadly appropriate in light of yesterday's senseless act. We stand with you.

Old 05-23-17, 08:10 AM   #1323
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

<O>
Old 05-23-17, 09:27 AM   #1324
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
A little something for those lost in Manchester yesterday and for England herself. I can see England as a whole, singing this in unison and it seems sadly appropriate in light of yesterday's senseless act. We stand with you.
Much appreciated sir

Old 05-24-17, 07:20 AM   #1325
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Videos are watchable again thanks to Dowly.
Old 05-24-17, 12:35 PM   #1326
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Lady GaGa, Gordon bloody Bennett! it's no wonder the youth of today are so bleeding crackers with role models like her about, and another thing, why do I like this song, Ah well just another mystery to put into ones book of life.

Old 05-24-17, 12:51 PM   #1327
vienna
Navy Seal

<O>
Old 05-24-17, 02:58 PM   #1328
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Lady GaGa, Gordon bloody Bennett! it's no wonder the youth of today are so bleeding crackers with role models like her about, and another thing, why do I like this song, Ah well just another mystery to put into ones book of life.
Sounds like a decent Eurovision song
Old 05-24-17, 11:59 PM   #1329
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post

<O>

Great tune Vienna. I would know the smooth sound of that Saxophone playing song anywhere.

There was a time when I heard this song everywhere but had no idea who did the original. Harlem Nocturne was featured in the movie " Christine " and also on the the Mickey Spillane's series, Mike Hammer, featuring Stacy Keach but The Viscounts version is the original and the best.

Old 05-25-17, 10:06 AM   #1330
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Great tune Vienna. I would know the smooth sound of that Saxophone playing song anywhere.

There was a time when I heard this song everywhere but had no idea who did the original. Harlem Nocturne was featured in the movie " Christine " and also on the the Mickey Spillane's series, Mike Hammer, featuring Stacy Keach but The Viscounts version is the original and the best.

I grew up in the 50s and 60s hearing Harlem Nocturne on the jazz radio stations and from the outdoor speakers of a burlesque theater in San Francisco. There used to be a common practice of theaters of all kinds, movie, live, burlesque, etc. to play the audio from whatever was playing in the theater on outdoor speakers as a means of luring in passersby; for movie theaters, this meant playing the audio tracks of the films. I remember there used to be a grindhouse theater directly adjacent to the cable car turntable at Powell and Market Streets in San Francisco where I would listen to the soundtracks of the films and, occasionally, they would be showing some sort of Russ Meyer film (I definitely remember The Immoral Mr. Teas ran there for a long time), which led to some very interesting reactions from the passersby. The burlesque theater I refer to was in the Mission District and the bus stop for transferring between lines was right next to the front entrance. Back then, they still used small live combos to provide musical backing for the dancers, so, while waiting for the bus, I got to hear a lot of the old standards played live. As I grew older, I got to know a few of the musicians who would take their breaks out front; I even got on friendly terms with a couple of the comics who would emcee and provide filler between acts (the girls very rarely came outside; IIRC, there were some sort of legal enjoinders prohibiting them from being outside the theaters and clubs). Oddly, even when I became of legal age (back then, it was twenty-one years), I never actually went into the place when it was open, although I did patronize a lot of other similar establishments. Ah, wasted youth...

Here's something for all you "sax fiends"...

There were songs that were staples of the burlesque trade and arguably, one of the most famous was Honky Tonk by Bill Doggett, a number featured in probably more striptease scenes in movies and TV than probably any other; it is also one of the best instrumentals ever. The full number exceeded the maximum length for 78 and 45 RPM discs of the day, so it was divided up into 'Part 1 & Part 2', fading out in the middle on the first side then fading back up on the second side:

EDIT:

Just thought I'd add this; the original Night Train, another sax classic standard:

<O>
Old 05-25-17, 10:23 AM   #1331
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Sax song, eh?... Not jazz, but cool:

First LP I purchased... Long time ago. Same album has Travelin' Band, Fogery's homage to Little Richard and Long Tall Sally

alto, 2 tenor and one bari

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
Old 05-25-17, 11:22 AM   #1332
vienna
Navy Seal

One thing I've heard over the many years from various sources is how guitarists in rock, blues and R&B try to emulate the sounds of either horns, primarily sax, or harp (harmonica) players. If you listen to a lot of the better known guitar players, you can see the strength of the argument; in the documentary/concert film about his life and career, Hail, Hail, Rock & Roll, Chuck Berry very openly acknowledges the very significant influence the horn sections of the Forties Big Bands had on his guitar style and sound. In terms of emotive power, range, and the ability to go from quietly seductive to ferociously raucous, the guitar, horn, and harp lead the pack...

<O>
Old 05-25-17, 12:59 PM   #1333
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Amen, brother! Preach it!... Music is good stuff, no matter the style, no matter the band. There is something to "dig" in all of it. The rhythm of life, the great communicator...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
Old 05-27-17, 09:31 AM   #1334
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 05-28-17, 05:26 AM   #1335
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

Have a nice summer everybody and keep up posting.

Vanadium - Heavy Metal

Closed Thread

Tags
music