SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-15-16, 08:18 AM   #1291
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

The all stop issue happens because throttle position is not saved with a savegame file. When you restart the game part of the initialization procedure is to set throttles to zero. Then the crew is hardwired to say "All stop." Unless we were to change the entire block of game save/game restore code this can't be changed.

Two other things happen every time also. All damage taken in previous sessions is applied after the sub loads so we get to hear crashing and breaking, lights flashing and the crew saying "we're taking damage" whatever every time we restart a game with a damaged sub, even if that damage was taken two weeks before the save date.

And the game doesn't remember plotted courses on savegame files. Oh, it still has the plotted course, but if you don't remember to hit the return to course button or do the return to course keyboard command you're shooting off on course zero for no apparent reason.

To the best of my knowledge none of this is fixable.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 08:18 AM   #1292
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Propbeanie is on the mark about computer specs, and how the Windows Operating Systems can mess up your game. We're up to Windows 10, with more stuff running in the background than you can shake a stick at. These "behind the scenes" processes can kill a game that was designed for a half dozen OS versions ago. Make no mistake, this game was released in 2007, but its game engine is from SHIII......designed in 2004!! The primary OS back in those days was before WinXP!!!

Newer, faster, more power, doesn't translate into better game play with a game that wasn't designed for the added features the OS brings. Anyone having more memory than what the game was expected to be played on.....(that's only 2 gigs max), will see better game play with an app like Large Address Aware. It forces the game to access more of your computers available memory, which it won't do by itself, no matter how fast a system you may have.

I'm using the LAA on my computer, the Museum still crashes when I try to use it.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 10:52 AM   #1293
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I'm using the LAA on my computer, the Museum still crashes when I try to use it.
Wow, that's unbelievable!!

One thing you need to do is check that LAA is actually installed and turned on. If you go into the "Advanced" mode you should see something like this, showing your path to the SH4.exe:

Make sure the parameter under LAA is set to "TRUE".....that tells you the SH4.exe is set correctly.

You have computer specs that are far superior to mine....I don't understand the problem. What's your Windows OS version? 32 or 64-bit?

Didn't you say your running the game at some high 2000x something resolution? I suppose you've maxed out the Graphics Options in-game too?

Why don't you go into your "Documents" folder and Delete the "SH4" folder (I hope you're not using SH4 Multi install ...whatever its called.....you'll need to delete the "SH4" folder there, wherever it is). This will put the game back to its original default settings for options and resolutions. Let the game start with the default settings, then try to open the Museum. It may not look pretty, but it should tell us something.

IF the default resolution of 1024x768 doesn't fit your monitor, try just upping the resolution a bit....... use something like 1440x900, but don't change any other graphic or gameplay option.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 08-15-16 at 11:55 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 01:21 PM   #1294
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

I'm guessing (guessing) it's the system resources causing the issue CapnScurvy. Silent Hunter 4 is a 32-bit app, and as such in the "modern" 64-bit OS, is assigned it's own little area in Windows (basically a quarantine). Windows keeps its own little bits in there, taking up some of the area assigned to the 32-bit app. While the LAA does help it stretch beyond, for some reason, "The Museum" (big boomy voice, lots of reverb) does not. (Why??) I tried multiple low screen resolutions and gameplay settings, none of which worked for me.

Anyway, what got me, was that I could not get "The Museum" (there's that voice again) to run on my quad-core with 8 gig of ram, and just put it off to there being too much data in the game. Then for some reason, I tried to run it on the dual-core with 2 gig of ram. It ran. Took it a while to load, but it ran. The only differences between the machines is what's loaded at start-up in the system area. My big machine has stuff for the GoPro software, the Intel stuff, a BIG version of the ATI CCC and about 5 other thingies that go with it, and if I look in Task Manager, there's 21 lines of things running, while on the little box, there's only a dozen.

So, based on that, and seeing other posts mentioning Game Booster, I looked for it, and found all sorts of stuff, most of which I don't much care for, 'cause they add to the systray stuff (this one does too), and require registration online (this one does not), which probably means more junk email... anyway, I uploaded to the root directory - err, folder - a GameBooster.7z if you want to try the old 3.4 version. There's a couple readme files in there, which you can toss.

Proceed with caution. If you've got anything important on the computer cdrsubron7, I don't know if I'd wanna do the old one, and would probably go with one of the newer progs (search on Game Booster), if you even want to bother with that... You could always experiment in Task Manager, "killing" things until "The Museum" runs. If you want help with it, let me know. I could make a list of what the program is shutting down in my machine, if you want some ideas on that. The hard part of that manual process is starting things back up, short of a re-boot.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 01:25 PM   #1295
propbeanie

Along those line, cdrsubron7, here's a cropped screenie from the little 2gig machine:

notice how things are a bit "off" with the color and texture? That's the "Low" settings in the game, but it runs. I can get much better looking shots in the other box. Let me know if you need me to start on that now, or after you do some renaming... I'm going to guess you'd want to see all three portions of the name boxes at the top, correct?

Old 08-15-16, 04:05 PM   #1296
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Just so you know I am working on my little modlet to restore the air contacts to the nav map
Will be ready for release tomorrow evening

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 04:30 PM   #1297
propbeanie

I'll be a-testing that one fer shure max-peck...

Old 08-15-16, 05:09 PM   #1298
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Thanks for the suggestions on how to get the Museum going. Having tried most of your suggestions and not having any success getting the Museum running, I've just decided it's not meant to be. I'm moving on to other tasks that await me.

On another front, after talking with RR I've uploaded a new file called FOTRSU Addon Ships to the "Some Assembly Required" folder. These ships are from other sources and like I said after talking with RR and after getting his OK last night I've uploaded them to the storage area. Check'em out and see if they mesh with FOTRSU alright. They are JSGME ready.

Old 08-15-16, 05:20 PM   #1299
propbeanie

Checking that out cdrsubron7. Do you want to do a co-operative ship copy/naming/mangling mod, based upon what you and s7rikeback have? You do what seems correct, send me the files one way or another, and I'll run the Museum for you, send you back pictures and comments? I've got plenty of hard drive space for a parallel install of FotRS Ultimate Edition v.1beta. I've got dropbox, which does sharing OK, just not as big of a space as Google Drive, which I've also got an account, and we could share between our two... ?? Or just send me it all, and I'll take all the credit... not really, but I can put the stitches into the fabric. I'd just need someone to thread the needle, and tell me where to stitch...

Old 08-15-16, 05:42 PM   #1300
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Has the Caustics ever been fixed?
They show on one side of a ship only?
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 06:04 PM   #1301
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Checking that out cdrsubron7. Do you want to do a co-operative ship copy/naming/mangling mod, based upon what you and s7rikeback have? You do what seems correct, send me the files one way or another, and I'll run the Museum for you, send you back pictures and comments? I've got plenty of hard drive space for a parallel install of FotRS Ultimate Edition v.1beta. I've got dropbox, which does sharing OK, just not as big of a space as Google Drive, which I've also got an account, and we could share between our two... ?? Or just send me it all, and I'll take all the credit... not really, but I can put the stitches into the fabric. I'd just need someone to thread the needle, and tell me where to stitch...
To be truthful, pb, I'm not sure where I'm going with this yet. The way Maddy named these ships is giving me a headache. Seems like there are three names for each ship. At the moment I'm working on an X-el sheet to get things straightened out. I'm using the ME Roster list also to try and get some order in it so I know where to start. Once I get that figured out, then maybe I can make some progress on this project.

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 08-15-16 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 07:14 PM   #1302
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Has the Caustics ever been fixed?
They show on one side of a ship only?
What are "the Caustics", Jeff-Groves? an island chain in the Black Sea?... sorry, couldn't pass that one up either... I'm really sorry, won't happen again... But seriously, what are the Caustics for this uneducated nincompoopdeck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
To be truthful, pb, I'm not sure where I'm going with this yet. The way Maddy named these ships is giving me a headache. Seems like there are three names for each ship. At the moment I'm working on an X-el sheet to get things straightened out. I'm using the ME Roster list also to try and get some order in it so I know where to start. Once I get that figured out, then maybe I can make some progress on this project.
Sounds cool. I can also try experimenting with what s7rikeback did, and see if I'm understanding what he said the way I think he said it... I think...

Old 08-15-16, 07:59 PM   #1303
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

It took me awhile but now I have a good idea of what ships have to be duplicated and renamed and there are are ships that only have to be renamed. Some of the Japanese merchants aren't even on the Names.cfg, so it was a combination of using the Roster list in the ME and using the Roster folder ingame to get everything straightened out. There are a total of 40 Japanese merchants in the game. 22 of those have to be duplicated and renamed. There are 9 ships where all I have to do is rename them.

Old 08-15-16, 08:53 PM   #1304
propbeanie

Wil the ones NOT in the Names.cfg cause trouble if they're not put in there? Will max-peck be angry if there's more work to do? Will it be a straight copy and paste? Will Melissa go to the Homecoming dance with Bobby? These and other questions will be answered in due time... Sorry, weirdness in the air tonight... must be the Marshall Islands sea breeze... Either that or the Aleutian Islands cold...

Old 08-15-16, 10:00 PM   #1305
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Wil the ones NOT in the Names.cfg cause trouble if they're not put in there? Will max-peck be angry if there's more work to do? Will it be a straight copy and paste? Will Melissa go to the Homecoming dance with Bobby? These and other questions will be answered in due time... Sorry, weirdness in the air tonight... must be the Marshall Islands sea breeze... Either that or the Aleutian Islands cold...
Maybe we should call it the "Grand Aleutians"