SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-10, 10:53 PM   #61
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

A pretty fair and well reasoned article. Hopefuly someone at ubisoft will take notice and fix a few faults
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 06:12 AM   #62
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default sad

I waited and waited for SH5 only to say no, this review at game world and indeed the Ubi forums, confirm for me the worst thing that could have happened to my delicate disposition, to have bought a product and find I have been decieved, the product is faulty.

Would you buy a second hand car from this man the add proclaim over the picture of the late Richard Nixon, I really hope Ubi never find themselves in this place.

SH3 online for £3 with GWX gold has to be the bargain of all time, how can Ubi compete with this http://sidslotm.spaces.live.com/

I will buy SH5, but no yet, not yet.

"Crime has many weapons but a lie is the handle to fit them all" Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-27-10, 08:10 AM   #63
ironkross
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64

I agree with this review- for the vanilla version. OTOH most of the mod fixes the reviewer wishes for are here already; for me the game is fun to play now. Agreed it still can be better, Ubisoft need to release a patch for
AI issues, morale fix, as well as many of the features that were left out and I think that's coming.
A 5 rating is fair for the game as released, I would give it a 7 now with some excellent modding. It could someday be a 9. (Offline play patch from Ubi?)
The part of the article that I questioned is when he writes about single digit frame rates and game freeze/slugishness and white icons. In my game it happens but so rarely it's not an issue. It might have helped had the reviewer mentioned what system he played the game on, what hardware he used and some settings. That would have been a more useful guide for someone thinking about buying the game.
Old 03-27-10, 09:05 AM   #64
Cujo
Watch

Downloads: 3

Ii have to reluctantly agree with the reviews. I have invested many enjoyable hours on the franchise, including SH5. If SH5 was my maiden voyage I wouldn't have lasted more than an hour or so before returning to port and going A Wall. The lack of quality documentation and tutorials would have sent this game to the bottom desk shelf shelf like the many merchants I have sent to the bottom of the sea. Unfortunately we will not recruit any new SH series submariners with this release.
Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 10:53 AM   #65
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

An excellent review and far more comprehensive than the one by Bit Tech. Reading reviews like Neals at Subsim and this one by cnet justify my position not to purchase this sim on release. Hopefully with time this one will mature like SHIII and SHIV did. The bad news for SHV is that it is in such a bad state at release that it is going to take quite some time to reach anywhere near the standard of SHIII or IV. However I still have faith that SHV has a future.

One thing I don't understand is that Ubi harped on about how they wanted to broaden the fan base of this sim by introducing new features. Yet the complete lack of documentation and intuitive design appears to make it impossible for any landlubber who has never played a Silent Hunter series sim before to get into the genre. Hardly sounds like a great way to try and broaden the fan base.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 02:07 PM   #66
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
I remember SH4 receiving some harsh criticism back in the day, and in the end, it didn't turn out all too badly (with mods of course).
But, just like with SH4, UBISTANK will blame poor sales on "a lack of interest in this niche market". What that will result in is either a cancellation of SH6 or a shorter dev time and smaller budget, yet ensuring another half-arse release that UBI will blame us for.

And ROFL at this screenshot and caption from the review...... (NO GAME should be released with crap like this in it).... Im surprised they didnt note that it was because the ship was traveling in reverse while trying to intercept and ram your Uboat.

Yes, that's a German ship busily smashing itself to bits against the walls of its own port.
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote