Old 11-03-13, 06:25 PM   #691
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
TBH I wasn't overly impressed
Well now I've finished it I can say I did like it, although I'd guessed most of the reveal near the end. I would recommend it, but not to Jim.
Old 11-03-13, 07:14 PM   #692
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
I'm hoping to see Deathbed: The Bed That Eats sometime
I told you...it's on youtube!

Today, I picked up Run Silent Run Deep on DVD after a year and a half of searching...FINALLY!

Along with The Godfather and the newer version of The Thin Red Line.
Old 11-04-13, 01:11 PM   #693
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Well now I've finished it I can say I did like it, although I'd guessed most of the reveal near the end. I would recommend it, but not to Jim.
Your so kind.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 01:29 PM   #694
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I honestly did not know that there was an "older" The Thin Red Line seems like the 1964 version is average at best.I have only see the 1998 version and it is pretty good maybe a few too many known actors in it though I find film like that can actually be harder to get into.I think the 1998 film would have been better with just a few well known actors and the rest more unknown.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 10:10 PM   #695
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
I honestly did not know that there was an "older" The Thin Red Line seems like the 1964 version is average at best.I have only see the 1998 version and it is pretty good maybe a few too many known actors in it though I find film like that can actually be harder to get into.I think the 1998 film would have been better with just a few well known actors and the rest more unknown.
I would like to see the old version at some point too.

I have heard good things about the 1998 version...and it's a movie about Guadalcanal...

So I had to pick it up.
Old 11-04-13, 11:02 PM   #696
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
Today, I picked up Run Silent Run Deep on DVD after a year and a half of searching...FINALLY!
Uh... what? I just googled "Run Silent Run Deep on DVD" and already the first 4 results bombarded me with possibilities... did you look on the moon for it?
Old 11-04-13, 11:26 PM   #697
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
I would like to see the old version at some point too.

I have heard good things about the 1998 version...and it's a movie about Guadalcanal...

So I had to pick it up.

The 1998 one is good it is just a bit more of psychological film than an action film say like Saving Private Ryan.TTRL is much gritter and feels more desperate but does not have as much action.The 1964 version only gets three stars on IMDB which I find has generally fairly accurate ratings.

The 1998 version get 7 and a half which I would agree with I think it has a few too many famous actors and movies like that you always have a hard time truly relating to the characters.Like I said before I think it would be a better film if it had fewer well known actors.

I think the best war movie or the one that shows the effects there of is a Soviet film called Come and See about a 14 or 15 year old boy (it never says for sure his age) who joins the partisans and through the course of the film you see what happens to him it is a really brutal film.Of course that film you must either speak Russian or read subtitles.The part at the end where the partisans get revenge on this group a Nazis they have captured is so intense and trust me the Nazis deserved what they got.I just love how the one officer just keeps spouting his crap and some of the others try to beg for mercy exactly things that humans do when retribution is about to occur.You really want to put a bullet in his face as you watch.

Last edited by Stealhead; 11-04-13 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 01:25 AM   #698
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Uh... what? I just googled "Run Silent Run Deep on DVD" and already the first 4 results bombarded me with possibilities... did you look on the moon for it?
I looked in every store in my area. I've only seen one DVD copy of it outside of the one I just bought and rentals stores. I didn't want to get it online.

There was one at a truckstop at some sort of "On-The-Border" Mexico thing on the NC-SC border.

I didn't have money then having spent it other places on the vacation. (For example....THE USS NORTH CAROLINA!)

Anyway, the point is, I have it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
The 1998 one is good it is just a bit more of psychological film than an action film say like Saving Private Ryan.TTRL is much gritter and feels more desperate but does not have as much action.The 1964 version only gets three stars on IMDB which I find has generally fairly accurate ratings.

The 1998 version get 7 and a half which I would agree with I think it has a few too many famous actors and movies like that you always have a hard time truly relating to the characters.Like I said before I think it would be a better film if it had fewer well known actors.

I think the best war movie or the one that shows the effects there of is a Soviet film called Come and See about a 14 or 15 year old boy (it never says for sure his age) who joins the partisans and through the course of the film you see what happens to him it is a really brutal film.Of course that film you must either speak Russian or read subtitles.The part at the end where the partisans get revenge on this group a Nazis they have captured is so intense and trust me the Nazis deserved what they got.I just love how the one officer just keeps spouting his crap and some of the others try to beg for mercy exactly things that humans do when retribution is about to occur.You really want to put a bullet in his face as you watch.
The best war movies have more than just action going on.

The psychological/moral ones are usually very very good.

Saving Private Ryan...believe it or not, I have not seen all of it.

I saw a good two thirds of it and that was it. My VCR is broken so I can't watch some of my older war movies anymore.

SPR was kind of hard to take seriously because Tom Hanks was in it. I think they should have more unknown actors in big name war movies. Your average soldier isn't the Tom Hanks type....or the George Clooney type... Your average soldier is an average guy.

Take The Pacific....some of the other actors had roles in other movies....but since they were relatively unknown compared to some other war movie/series actors, they captured the story perfect.

I still think Joe Mazzello and James Dale were the perfect choices for Sledge and Leckie. Nobody else that I know of could play the parts better.
Old 11-05-13, 11:58 AM   #699
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
SPR was kind of hard to take seriously because Tom Hanks was in it. I think they should have more unknown actors in big name war movies. Your average soldier isn't the Tom Hanks type....or the George Clooney type... Your average soldier is an average guy.
His performance as Cpt. Miller was fantastic and there was not a single scene with him I found iffy or that remembered me that I am watching Tom Hanks, like in Tom Cruise movies...
He delivered his lines spot on and the character itself was the average guy, a married teacher from... I forgot, who struggles with the war just like anybody else. It is obvious you haven't seen it all.

You're a weird one...
Old 11-05-13, 12:17 PM   #700
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

No, I'm the weird one. I didn't like Saving Private Ryan. Bits and pieces of it tickled me, sure, but overall it left me flat.
Old 11-05-13, 01:12 PM   #701
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Saw Gravity last night....

I love to criticize, and insult.....

I was blown away by this movie.

Great story, and saw it in IMAX, a few parts actually made me a bit pukey.

Sandra Bullock has some nice legs for a lady her age. No dimples .

I would love to.....nevermind...

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 04:31 PM   #702
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
I love to criticize, and insult.....
Do that to movies and post the videos on the Internet. You could end up making money out of it.
Old 11-05-13, 06:15 PM   #703
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
No, I'm the weird one. I didn't like Saving Private Ryan. Bits and pieces of it tickled me, sure, but overall it left me flat.
The first 20-odd minutes are totally absorbing, the rest is a bit of an anticlimax.
Old 11-05-13, 06:20 PM   #704
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
The best war movies have more than just action going on.

The psychological/moral ones are usually very very good.

That is why I mentioned Come and See it has very little actual "action" and when it does there is nothing glorifying about it and it logically ties into the story being told.In fact the protagonist the teenage boy only fires his weapon one time.It is one of the few movies that I have seen about war that really made me feel disturbed as I watched it and when it was done.Even tough I own the film on DVD I'll likely only watch it a few times not because it was a bad movie but because it was effective.

It is what you see the teenage boy go through the horror that he feels when he sees a certain event it is so shocking to him and he wants so deeply for what he knows is real not be he actually goes deaf with hysteria for a time.
Old 11-05-13, 07:32 PM   #705
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
The first 20-odd minutes are totally absorbing, the rest is a bit of an anticlimax.
I, on the other hand, saw the first twenty minutes as hackneyed, cliched and over-the-top.

Tags
films, movie, movies