SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-24-10, 08:31 AM   #5296
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Aapology!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
The target ships you sunk are considered neutral by the game, as are all ships prior to the outbreak of hostilities. If you attack a neutral ship at any time during your career, other forces belonging to that nation will consider you an enemy for the following 24 hours and attack you without further provocation.

The idea is to use those ships to practice your skills and then "teleport" back to base when the time comes, and thus avoid coming in range of any firepower emanating from Pillau.

Or if you don't feel the need to practice, you can do what I do when starting out of Königsberg - sail around your designated patrol grid until you get orders to return, attack no one, then sail back and keep the extra renown you were given as compensation for what you would've lost had you sunk those neutral vessels.
My apologies, frau Kaleun Valkyrie - I responded without seeing you had already done so. Did not intend to step on your excellent reply. I MUST go get my coffee!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 05:00 PM   #5297
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
My apologies, frau Kaleun Valkyrie - I responded without seeing you had already done so. Did not intend to step on your excellent reply. I MUST go get my coffee!
Hey, no problem - when somebody has a question, multiple replies are better than somebody getting none at all!
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 08:37 AM   #5298
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Huh?

[QUOTE=jimbuna;1371214]

I'm not sure how widespread it is known but GWX was designed for The Grey Wolves....it was intentionally moulded/fashioned into a mod incorporating how The Grey Wolves wanted to play the game.

That was our initial intention....the public release IMHO was a bonus for our fine subsimming community.

unquote>

GWX was designed for the Grey Wolves! Who are they? The modding team? Was it intended as a private mod?
Old 04-25-10, 08:57 AM   #5299
Sandman_28054
Captain

Downloads: 270

I downloaded this MOD, and played it, and loved it.

However, once I reached patrol 15, or about the time the Type 9C became available, files, saved games would not load.

Mission 16, I was returning from Africa, passing up through the far left of the BE area. Something came up and I had to save because I had to leave.

Upon returning, I keyed up the game, and proceeded to load my previous save.

It took 10 minutes to load, and once loaded, the screen was "locked" in the control room, the game would not play at all, zip, nothing, nada.

In fact, it locked up so bad I had to press the computer reset in order to exit the game.

I have since deleted this game.

Any suggestions as to why this happened?
Sandman_28054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 09:41 AM   #5300
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751

GWX was designed for the Grey Wolves! Who are they? The modding team? Was it intended as a private mod?
Easy there man.

To answer your question, in essence YES. We designed The Grey Wolves/GWX mod project in the way we saw fit and agreed upon following extensive research, testing, and within the limitations of the SH3 PC game itself.

There was no requirement that forced us to release it. We did so because we wanted to share it with the community... not because we HAD to.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 09:45 AM   #5301
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_28054 View Post
...Any suggestions as to why this happened?
Unfortunately yes.

SH3 has a number of save-game bugs.

Maybe you encountered a hardware limitation of some sort.

Did you add any mods during the patrol?

A number of known SH3 game bugs and suggested workarounds are included in the GWX manual.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock

Last edited by Kpt. Lehmann; 04-25-10 at 01:28 PM.
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 12:50 PM   #5302
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

[QUOTE=raymond6751;1372885]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post

I'm not sure how widespread it is known but GWX was designed for The Grey Wolves....it was intentionally moulded/fashioned into a mod incorporating how The Grey Wolves wanted to play the game.

That was our initial intention....the public release IMHO was a bonus for our fine subsimming community.

unquote>

Huh? Indeed!

I'm not sure how serious your questions are but as they were asked of me I'll gladly respond.

The Grey Wolves are the collective of individuals who were responsible for the development, testing and implemantation of the mod.

Initially, at its earliest conception it was intended to be a private mod.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 12:19 AM   #5303
Tachyon
Captain

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
One day plus an additional day for every % point of damage you have sustained (if any).
Sweet , thanks. I don't suppose SH4/5 implemented Milk Cows?

Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 12:37 AM   #5304
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Sweet , thanks. I don't suppose SH4/5 implemented Milk Cows?
SH5 has milkcows out of the box, but they are an instant refit rather than a day + patrol restart. They also don't appear till later in the war, so many people don't realize they are available. heh

There's already been work begun on a more historically accurate milkcow mod as well.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 02:05 AM   #5305
Tachyon
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
SH5 has milkcows out of the box, but they are an instant refit rather than a day + patrol restart. They also don't appear till later in the war, so many people don't realize they are available. heh

There's already been work begun on a more historically accurate milkcow mod as well.
Great , looks like Ubisoft is finally listening.

One more question regarding GWX; is there any way to make the ocean look less murky? I want to see Merchants go all the way down to Davy Jones' locker. I remember using a ClearWater mod earlier (a year or two ago), but I don't know if it's compatible with GWX.

Old 04-26-10, 07:14 AM   #5306
JMV
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 179

You can adjust water clarity if you're using SH3 Commander. Am at 18 on the scale, but of course you have to be pretty neat to see boats sink, otherwise it becomes murky anyway.
JMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 12:40 PM   #5307
Tachyon
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMV
You can adjust water clarity if you're using SH3 Commander. Am at 18 on the scale, but of course you have to be pretty neat to see boats sink, otherwise it becomes murky anyway.
Ok , thanks. I'll try that then.

Also, I've been having a strange experience with the Naval Academy's Flak gun mission. Those aircraft actually SHOOT at me , this never happened in vanilla SH3. I get bombed to oblivion easily. There are 5 of them , and the odds are next to impossible.

Old 04-26-10, 12:51 PM   #5308
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Also, I've been having a strange experience with the Naval Academy's Flak gun mission. Those aircraft actually SHOOT at me , this never happened in vanilla SH3. I get bombed to oblivion easily. There are 5 of them , and the odds are next to impossible.
Welcome to GWX!

I noticed the same thing - the difficulty of engaging aircraft, even in the tutorial, has been significantly increased in GWX to more accurately model the real life odds of surviving such an encounter unscathed, if at all.

However it makes up for this (sorta) by giving you the full Academy renown bonus just for taking and passing the Navigation exam.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 12:56 PM   #5309
Tachyon
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Welcome to GWX!

I noticed the same thing - the difficulty of engaging aircraft, even in the tutorial, has been significantly increased in GWX to more accurately model the real life odds of surviving such an encounter unscathed, if at all.

However it makes up for this (sorta) by giving you the full Academy renown bonus just for taking and passing the Navigation exam.
Thanks for the information. I had no clue you got full renown for just the nav mission o.O .Btw , it's actually my return to GWX , in particular version 3.0 . I had played the old 2.0 version before and loved it. But it didn't have the same problem with the flak mission if my memory serves right.

Old 04-26-10, 01:15 PM   #5310
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The aircraft have been made a lot tougher in GWX3.0

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote