SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-16, 05:59 PM   #451
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
[Spam mode on]
Holy............ !!!!!!!!! What's this thing in my avatar???? My daughters would be very ashamed to see their father in .... THIS !!!
[Spam mode off]

Billy.
Just tell your kids that is what a real submariner looks like after a 60 day patrol.

Who knows, the wife will probably love it.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 06:23 PM   #452
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I'm playing with the 2.0 ships plugged into Ultimate. Mission editor gives me two warnings: PLConteVerde from country British not found in platforms library and PLConteVerde from country German not found in platforms library. And indeed they don't appear on the 2.0 roster anywhere. Why the mission editor is looking for them is probably key to why the Museum crashes on startup.

However, The mission editor happily made up for me two columns: one of all the Japanese Warships and the other of all the Japanese Merchies. I'm getting ready to fly my camera down both columns and call out the IDs. This might help.

Since we have already imported Campaigns, Air and Sea from 2.0, actually introducing the ships and planes should be a given. In fact the game might actually demand it!

So I'm playing with it and a video of the Japanese Fleet on Parade is coming up.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 07:01 PM   #453
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

That reminds me that I promised to put up something of a tutorial about how to make decent video of SH4 gameplay. The program I use is called MSI Afterburner. Download it from the MSI website as so:

I just used the stable 4.2.0 version. It installs without incident. When you run it Riva TunerStatisticsServer might yell that it can't find its update server. I don't know what's up with that but just say OK and it doesn't bother you about it again.

If you're particularly challenged that night you can just do a search in Duck Duck Go and it will come up on top, unlike in Google where a bunch of paid ads will come up above it. Works both ways but I'm liking Duck Duck Go a lot.

So here's the Afterburner control console. You'll want to click on the gear to get to the settings and choose the video tab to get your video options.

The first thing you're going to want to do is put your cursor in that box to the right of Video Capture and press whatever key you want to start end end your recording. I used the home key. Just click in the box and press <home>.

I didn't do anything about video prerecord. I don't know what it is and must not need it so I put it on manual and didn't bother to assign a key to it.

The video options work great as set above: AVI, 100% quality, full frame, 30 fps, no framerate limit and pick the directory you want the videos stored in. Nothing more conducive to cussing than making a video and not being able to find it......

Next section, set multithreading to auto, I elected to crop to multiples of 16 for greatest compatibility, and to avoid interruptions in the encoding process, use a dedicated encoding server.

Now the fun part and what makes MSI Afterburner really, really cool. When you're using an audio plugin microphone, Windows mixes the mic with the game sound with no problems and it just works. For some ungodly reason, Microsoft chose to treat a USB microphone as an entirely separate sound card! You have two choices: record the mic or record the game. Sucks to be you, bub!

But MSI Afterburner takes sound from two sources. Here you can see that source #1 is my headset microphone. And the crowning genius is that you can pick a source #2, the stereo mix or Realtek High Definition Audio in my case. That's a second sound card feeding to MSI Afterburner, just like an external mixer!

Check off downmix multichannel audio to stereo, even though SH4 is only stereo, and Mix multiple audio tracks (Duh!). I choose to stereo rip because it doesn't change volumes.

Works great. But You Tube doesn't like it all that much.

So I use a program called Any Video Converter (free) to change it to HTML 5 compatible .MP4 format. The only option I change is to keep the original resolution so I get an HD video up on You Tube.

It's time for the Japanese fleet parade! I have a video to make.
Old 07-03-16, 07:34 PM   #454
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I'm playing with the 2.0 ships plugged into Ultimate. Mission editor gives me two warnings: PLConteVerde from country British not found in platforms library and PLConteVerde from country German not found in platforms library. And indeed they don't appear on the 2.0 roster anywhere. Why the mission editor is looking for them is probably key to why the Museum crashes on startup.

However, The mission editor happily made up for me two columns: one of all the Japanese Warships and the other of all the Japanese Merchies. I'm getting ready to fly my camera down both columns and call out the IDs. This might help.

Since we have already imported Campaigns, Air and Sea from 2.0, actually introducing the ships and planes should be a given. In fact the game might actually demand it!

So I'm playing with it and a video of the Japanese Fleet on Parade is coming up.
Have I missed something, I was under the impression that the v2.0 ships were still being worked on? Or is that just the scripting that needs the work.

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 07-03-16 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-03-16, 08:07 PM   #455
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

I was lollygagging around making my tour of the Japanese Warship and merchie fleets and decided to return with the camera to my submarine. What did I find there but the three biggest, baddest, most advanced destroyers in the Japanese fleet taking a bead on my surfaced submarine. I hit "c" to crash dive and just got under as one of the DDs bounced off my superstructure. He dropped on top of me and thank goodness I was ahead full and avoided the entirety of the blast.

Just the same I escaped with 24% hull damage. I sent her to test depth and returned to the surface to run the camera there. I made a horrifying discovery. These DD suckers have freaking side throwers!!!!@! They can fill the water with booms to both sides and behind. Wait until you see the video.

NOBODY is going to compain SH4 is too easy ever again.
Old 07-03-16, 09:28 PM   #456
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

The Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate is now live.

Yes cdsubron7, they still needed to be done, so I rigged up a JSGME addition of the air, museum, roster and sea from FOTRS 2.0 and fired it up. Right away ship IDs turned German! So with help from Billy I eliminated the names.cfg file, sewed my Frankenstein monster back together again and shot the above video on the very first run. I got to share the research itself.

The museum crashes but I'm confident CapnScurvy can fix that if I can't.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 07-04-16 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-03-16, 10:01 PM   #457
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
The Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Parade of the Japanese Fleet is now live.
Very nice, boss. Well done. You did misname a few of the ships, but no biggie. The first carrier in line with the stack leaning to port above the bridge was the Shinano. The other carrier with the two stacks on the starboard side was the Kaga I believe. I think I saw the Akagi toward the end of your video.

All in all, great job.

Old 07-03-16, 10:09 PM   #458
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Just tell your kids that is what a real submariner looks like after a 60 day patrol.

Who knows, the wife will probably love it.
My wife has been sitting behind me the whole evening while I cruise around here and mess around in Excel... She *likes* my new avatar. 'Course, I've got my shirt off, and I'm buff man... Unlike what she sees sitting in the chair...

Quote:
That reminds me that I promised to put up something of a tutorial about how to make decent video of SH4 gameplay. The program I use is called MSI Afterburner...
This is nice. I've been using Afterburner, but with much different settings (mostly what it came with - I manage to crash things if I use my own). Changing my settings tomorrow. Thank you sir. If you look at my currently two vidz at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbG...6LDHbnjXH0CJLQ you'll see the distortion of using 1/2 frame...

I can also see now where that puissant voice comes from doing the narrating. I'd thought you'd hired James Earl Jones, or someone of that caliber, it's so good. Do you go "scripted", or "ad lib"... Jokingly, but seriously, you do excellent work. (I had to look that 'puissant' word up in the dictionary, by the way... lol)

btw, I have run my script on a few of the directories under the Speech directories, and at first glance, I'm not seeing near the differences that there are in the Sound directories. I'm leaning more toward something in the dat files that CapnScurvy pointed out earlier... maybe. It's very difficult to look through them, and not get totally lost as to what you've looked at, and what you haven't, what you should write down, and what to forget... Later.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-03-16 at 10:13 PM. Reason: final paragraph - unless I edit again, of course...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 10:50 PM   #459
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

Quote:
The Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Parade of the Japanese Fleet is now live.

Yes cdsubron, they still needed to be done, so I rigged up a JSGME addition of the air, museum, roster and sea from FOTRS 2.0 and fired it up. Right away ship IDs turned German! So with help from Billy I eliminated the names.cfg file, sewed my Frankenstein monster back together again and shot the above video on the very first run. I got to share the research itself.

The museum crashes but I'm confident CapnScurvy can fix that if I can't.
YES!! YOU DID IT !! YOU DIIIID IIIIT !!! Shhhhh!!

Man, I've almost had tears in my eyes. The Combined fleet in all its glory!
Just look at these beauties... these models... Imagine them after a visit to Max-Peck's Beauty Salon.

Great job boss!!
No.....
WONDERFUL JOB!!! They're alive and kicking!

That's a great step forward. VERY well done!

Too bad the video didn't include the depth charging that followed....
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-16, 08:12 AM   #460
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
Too bad the video didn't include the depth charging that followed....
I got a bit of it after being totally shocked at the first depth charge deployment. If I had what I saw when I returned to my boat you would have seen a frame or two where you're a hundred feet above a DD and a thrown depth charge filled the screen! . Play time is over boys. The real war begins with freaking side throwers on DDs from Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate! Now a stopped DD can toss presents at you without blowing off its own stern.

Chances are these side throwers were courtesy of Lurker_hlb3 providing them to the AOTD team. They are evil personified, a masterpiece of horror!

And a second video shows the on a sub which has repaired all its damage.

I'm going ahead with a new Alpha Build, even though the Museum doesn't work. You NEED to play with this!

Holy crap! 755,741KB compressed! It just about won't fit on a CD. I never dreamed in my life that I'd be on a team developing something that big. How about you guys? (yeah, Capn, I know it's old hat for you) Isn't this just scary to look at how huge it is? Then don't look. Onward, through the fog!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 07-04-16 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-04-16, 09:20 AM   #461
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Very nice, boss. Well done. You did misname a few of the ships, but no biggie. The first carrier in line with the stack leaning to port above the bridge was the Shinano. The other carrier with the two stacks on the starboard side was the Kaga I believe. I think I saw the Akagi toward the end of your video.

All in all, great job.
I had this great itinerary printed out and the first thing I found was the ships out of order. I do all my narration ad hoc so I just did the best I could. Obviously I messed up the carriers! Hey, I shared with you guys the very first time I saw any of these ships.

Isn't that just a magnificent collection of warships? Who thought the Kaga wouldn't appear in SH4UBM until 2016? Since we imported the 2.0 Campaigns folder, all these ships are scripted and will work normally with no work from us. Which is our goal: to keep Maddy and the AOTD crew's work intact as we can possibly keep it in the core mod.

And those side throwers! They're genius, equal to Duci's evil airplanes in my thinking. Since Lurker_hlb3 hated the evil airplanes and eliminated them for RSRDC. FOTRS Ultimate will be the first time players can elect to have the side throwers and evil airplanes at the same time!
Old 07-04-16, 09:54 AM   #462
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

100 FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.05Alpha_EN is up on the super-secret shared directory!
Old 07-04-16, 10:56 AM   #463
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Since RR first brought us all together to start the FOTRS Ultimate Project I've been looking for a way that I could make a contribution. I really don't know much about modding or anything else that has to do with the game files. One thing thing that I do know is the ME. I made over 225 single missions for SH1 in the day. I've made quite a few single missions for SH4 over the years. One of the biggest problems over the years has been that all the mods over the years made for SH4 were always different in one way or another. RFB, TMO, RSRDC, and even FOTRS all were built different because they were made by different people. Now RR has solved some of this dilemma buy customizing FOTRS so it will work with a broader fanbase. Great idea, boss.

Ok, so what I plan to do is make a number of custom missions especially for FOTRS Ultimate. But not just any missions, these missions will focus on the Kido Butai. Kido Butai, what the heck is that you say? Kido Butai, the Mobile Striking Force of the Imperial Japanese Navy. The force that made the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor. At the beginning of WW II Kido Butai was the most powerful naval task force in the world. Now with the FOTRS Ultimate coming together all the ships of Kido Butai will be available for the first time. I've been waiting along time for this and now it can happen.

Allow me to introduce the main participants of Kido Butai.

Abukuma

Akagi

Kaga

Soryu

Hiryu

Shokaku

Zuikaku

Kirishima

Hiei

Tone

Chikuma

I hope you guys will like my idea. This way I'll feel like I'm making some kind of proper contribution.

Old 07-04-16, 11:02 AM   #464
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
100 FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.05Alpha_EN is up on the super-secret shared directory!

Dang, boss. We barely have time to test one version and you upload the next one. Well done, sir.

Old 07-04-16, 01:55 PM   #465
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

I have just spent 20 minutes watching the video RR

How many ships???

Seriously impressive

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote