SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-17, 08:22 PM   #4516
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

It's not so much the text message, as it is the "how"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 01:18 AM   #4517
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Alright, a radio message plays. Where does it get the extra TEXT portion from?... There is an "ini" file in the sound folder there that has ONE instance of the message. The Radio.ini file says nothing about repeats, and neither does the Events.ini file. Is the message "important" enough, that if the player doesn't acknowledge it the first time, it keeps repeating until you do open the messages clipboard? How many other of these do that? I'm going to guess ALL... 27 ogg files of "events", 3 of "intros". Currently, the only apparent way to "solve" the issue is to answer the clipboard radio message prompt in a timely manner, or delete the "INI" text files for the radio. The event happened on March 9th, 1945. It shouldn't be displaying on a February 28th screen (no repeat yet), and the March 16th screen is "late" as far as the game is concerned... ?? - ~SO~ how is the game keeping track of its "calendar"?... How many extra February 29ths are there in this game?...

I've received radio messages about "historical" events at the appropriate time in SH4 (stock, v1.3 & v1.5).
If I save after the message is received and later load that save, the message will be received again, even several in-game days later, especially if other messages have occurred since the first reception.

SH3 did this as well, and GWX 3 could be a bit annoying, as every time I loaded a save as I crossed the atlantic in my 9D2, I would get the same message again after loading the save.
Given the volume of messages in GWX, I have had 5 messages repeat for a few "weeks" every time I loaded to continue the game.

This is most likely to insure that you don't miss the "important" messages.
Or the programmers were all newbies and can't write good code.
At this point in the PC (or console) gaming world, I don't expect much to be as it should.

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 05:47 AM   #4518
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

The war is over and I've survived it for the first time.

The ending of the war was pretty dismal to say the least, I'll say no more about it.
The FOTRS campaign didn't have 1 game crash in it, I'm pretty impressed with that I can tell you.
I played from Midway and I never got the opportunity to come to grips with a Task Force, there were sightings of them on the Nav Map and in the message box but they were always too far away, maybe next time I'll get lucky.

One thing I learned from this campaign was how to take "THEM" on, you know "THEM" they're those DD's that could hear or find you in the deepest darkest depths of the pacific.

I can only say to those players that go deep like I used to do is "DON'T" they only have to find you once and you can't defend yourself at 500ft deep.

Overall I'm giving the game 9\10, well done modders, well done.
Old 05-01-17, 06:40 AM   #4519
propbeanie

Excellent Moonlight. Improvements are forthcoming to make that a 10 of 10 in the future! Thanks for the "thumbs up"! There will be another version shortly, with a few more tweaks. Time frame unknown since we keep finding little nigglies...
------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
I've received radio messages about "historical" events at the appropriate time in SH4 (stock, v1.3 & v1.5).
If I save after the message is received and later load that save, the message will be received again, even several in-game days later...
As for the "Message" (which, I never knew those could come from an ini file in the "Sound" folder... "what thuh?..."), with BarracudaUAK's experience, mixed with my own and others' experiences with reloading of the game, and all manner of "sound" repeating on the reload...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I've been loading my saved games to find out which one this message comes from, my game files have just been copied from my original clean unmodded stock game files and I've replayed the mission.
As you can see its appeared again...
(picture)
... I'm going to lay to rest my "Search for a solution", since there is no easy solution, from a modders perspective, for repeated sounds, and the text comes from the "Sound" folder. It might be in the SHSound.act, or the executable, or something else that we can't touch by "conventional" means...

... but why are those type messages in the Sound folder anyway? Most likely for co-ordination with the Radio Sound itself, that as it broadcasts, the text pops up... ?? What happens if we move them to the "messages.txt" file??? Who listens to a stock radio "broadcast" all the time anyway? Has anyone ever checked it to see if it "keeps time" correctly, to "broadcast" the messages when appropriate anyway? I mean, the text portion of the game uses the same "clock" as the sound portion after all... Possible future tweak, moving them to the "messges.txt" file... hmmm... maybe it ain't "layed to rest"... [tinker tinker]

Old 05-01-17, 01:57 PM   #4520
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

... but why are those type messages in the Sound folder anyway? Most likely for co-ordination with the Radio Sound itself, that as it broadcasts, the text pops up... ?? What happens if we move them to the "messages.txt" file??? Who listens to a stock radio "broadcast" all the time anyway? Has anyone ever checked it to see if it "keeps time" correctly, to "broadcast" the messages when appropriate anyway? I mean, the text portion of the game uses the same "clock" as the sound portion after all... Possible future tweak, moving them to the "messges.txt" file... hmmm... maybe it ain't "layed to rest"... [tinker tinker]

I've checked the radio after the (txt) messages come in, and had the messages play.

Reloaded and turned the radio on, and entered time compression, and upon receiving the message, the radio news plays...

I only checked it once though. I would suggest that you try it and confirm, just to be sure. It's been several months since I tried this. I may be mixing SH4 with another game.

I have a ton of games. Since my 8mhz 8086. More recent entries sometimes blur when I'm working a lot!

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 05:16 PM   #4521
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Hey guys. How did you get the flak bursts to show up visually in FOTRS? Trying to get the AA puffs to show up in TMO RSRD.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 06:53 PM   #4522
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Downloads: 290

Did someone say that the Donor "Silent Hunter 4 Narwhal Mod" would be made compatable with the FOTRS? Also, should we not have other mods enabled with this in progress one?

Jack
Navigator857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 09:59 PM   #4523
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
I've checked the radio after the (txt) messages come in, and had the messages play.

Reloaded and turned the radio on, and entered time compression, and upon receiving the message, the radio news plays...

I only checked it once though. I would suggest that you try it and confirm, just to be sure. It's been several months since I tried this. I may be mixing SH4 with another game.

I have a ton of games. Since my 8mhz 8086. More recent entries sometimes blur when I'm working a lot!

Barracuda
I can indeed confirm similar behavior with my machine, now that I'm paying attention to the "Radio". I can also report that I only get one of those reports initially, but if I save and then load that save, the Radio repeats, and so does the Message... Our first encounter with a sound issue was what we lovingly referred to as "The Sound"

Which occurred from a sound that was only milliseconds too long for the game to play correctly. Instead, it overwrote memory, and got "stuck in the craw" of the audio engine. Now, we've found several other sound issues with this game, and even copying Stock, have encountered issues with the engine that were around in the initial SH3 release - ala the AntiSubNet_int.wav sound, somewhat referred to as "The New Sound"...

(I wish there was a way to make these windows smaller...)
Initially, I thought it was the Longitude lines causing the noise, but it's actually the render distance of the game, when you get within 20km of a net and it gets generated, you get the sound... very strange. The way the devs "fixed" it? They muted the sound... wow. So that's our "fix" for SH4 also. Our "fix" for this particular text message issue, originating from the sound folder, will most likely be similar, in that I'm going to try to break the tie between the text messages and the radio, which appears to be "controlled" by the ini files. I haven't even begun to try to test this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Hey guys. How did you get the flak bursts to show up visually in FOTRS? Trying to get the AA puffs to show up in TMO RSRD.
That was CapnScurvy's implementation. He'll have to let you know what all he did for that one. Cool, ain't it? I still can't shoot down a plane on my own shootin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator857 View Post
Did someone say that the Donor "Silent Hunter 4 Narwhal Mod" would be made compatable with the FOTRS? Also, should we not have other mods enabled with this in progress one?

Jack
Yes, we will give the Donor Narwhal an attempt at compatibility with the mod, keeping it in the Donor's folder only - if we can get it to work. However, we still have not "cemented" the CareerStart.upc nor the Flotillas.upc files. Those have to be "set" before we attempt something as deep as the Narwhal.

It's definitely preferable if you do not add any other mods to the mix while you are doing the CTD (Crash Test Dummy) "work". It (should) makes it much easier for us tracking down issues - last issue excluded...

As for other mods, while we haven't done anything "official" sounding, there are cdrsubron7's Single Mission files, which are a blast, already in there, along with a Quick Patrol of his. We've also converted Bismarck1011's Quick Patrols for the Aleutian Islands, and they're in there - excellent stuff, including some history. So, be sure and check all of those out. We've also tested the Bigger Better Protractors and it seems to work just fine, but is not "officially" supported just yet. We will have more forthcoming, and have several in a folder that have to be "certified" just yet...

Old 05-02-17, 08:13 AM   #4524
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Yes, we're still noodling with Ultimate. My latest modification is putting the ST Radar into the game. The ability to have a Radar unit in the Night (Observation) Periscope will allow a completely submerged sub to access your surface search radar units (the PPI or A-scope). This feature was not implemented in the stock game, or any other mod for that matter, but it will be in Fotrs Ultimate:

I'm thinking of changing how the surface search SJ radar antennas are used in-game as well. Early on in the war, the antenna's were stationary. They didn't move and required a surfaced sub (or as I have Ultimate now) a "Radar Depth" position to operate. Later in the war the SJ's were capable of extending, as the authentic SD air search antenna could, allowing for submerged use. My plan is to have the late war SJ antennas extend much like the authentic antennas did, plus give the SD antenna the capability from the start of the war to do the same. Along with the ability to "turn off/on" the SD and SJ radars (which the stock game doesn't provide for the SD), Ultimate will have a unique capability to replicate radar behavior. This is no small challenge when we have no fewer than 10 different subs to deal with, and each requires a unique height setting for the antennas.

In the case of the ST Radar, the Night periscope is involved too. That's been the issue with getting the ST Radar in-game before now. Not only does the scope need to work as a "visual" sensor, but as a "radar" sensor too......a double function that's not permitted within the game parameters.

This work will require a change in the Keyboard and Command task bar buttons to allow for the On/Off function of the SD and SJ, plus the toggling of Raising/Lowering of the late war antennas.....coming soon.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-17, 03:49 PM   #4525
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Yes, we're still noodling with Ultimate. My latest modification is putting the ST Radar into the game. The ability to have a Radar unit in the Night (Observation) Periscope will allow a completely submerged sub to access your surface search radar units (the PPI or A-scope). This feature was not implemented in the stock game, or any other mod for that matter, but it will be in Fotrs Ultimate:

I'm thinking of changing how the surface search SJ radar antennas are used in-game as well. Early on in the war, the antenna's were stationary. They didn't move and required a surfaced sub (or as I have Ultimate now) a "Radar Depth" position to operate. Later in the war the SJ's were capable of extending, as the authentic SD air search antenna could, allowing for submerged use. My plan is to have the late war SJ antennas extend much like the authentic antennas did, plus give the SD antenna the capability from the start of the war to do the same. Along with the ability to "turn off/on" the SD and SJ radars (which the stock game doesn't provide for the SD), Ultimate will have a unique capability to replicate radar behavior. This is no small challenge when we have no fewer than 10 different subs to deal with, and each requires a unique height setting for the antennas.

In the case of the ST Radar, the Night periscope is involved too. That's been the issue with getting the ST Radar in-game before now. Not only does the scope need to work as a "visual" sensor, but as a "radar" sensor too......a double function that's not permitted within the game parameters.

This work will require a change in the Keyboard and Command task bar buttons to allow for the On/Off function of the SD and SJ, plus the toggling of Raising/Lowering of the late war antennas.....coming soon.

The ST radar works on the Tench class in TMO 2.5 . Contact will show up on the nav map but no on the radar scope. ST had a pretty short range from what I understand. Awesome you guys are trying to get it into the game though.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-17, 08:31 PM   #4526
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
The ST radar works on the Tench class in TMO 2.5 . Contact will show up on the nav map but no on the radar scope. ST had a pretty short range from what I understand. Awesome you guys are trying to get it into the game though.
The ST Radar in TMO 2.5 does not work if a target is not showing up on the Radar screen. AND, it doesn't work if you lift the Observation Periscope above the water surface and the SJ Radar (PPI and A-Scope) units don't turn on. The reason the target ship is showing on the Navigation Map is due to either the "Visual Sensor" or "Sonar Sensor" are detecting/displaying the target, not due to the ST Radar working in TMO.

I'm suspecting when the target is listed in the "Message Text Box", it's detection warning is coming from either the Sonarman, or the Watch Officer. The Sonarman is of course using Sonar (Sonar Sensor), the Watch Officer is using the raised periscope (Visual Sensor) to detect the target, giving the familiar "Ship Spotted......" Message Text warning. You'll not get the Radarman detecting the target, since it's not the Radar Sensor doing the detecting.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 05-02-17 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-03-17, 06:55 AM   #4527
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

[QUOTE=CapnScurvy;248186

I'm thinking of changing how the surface search SJ radar antennas are used in-game as well. Early on in the war, the antenna's were stationary. They didn't move and required a surfaced sub (or as I have Ultimate now) a "Radar Depth" position to operate. Later in the war the SJ's were capable of extending, as the authentic SD air search antenna could, allowing for submerged use. My plan is to have the late war SJ antennas extend much like the authentic antennas did, plus give the SD antenna the capability from the start of the war to do the same. Along with the ability to "turn off/on" the SD and SJ radars (which the stock game doesn't provide for the SD), Ultimate will have a unique capability to replicate radar behavior. This is no small challenge when we have no fewer than 10 different subs to deal with, and each requires a unique height setting for the antennas. [/QUOTE]

Not sure if this is related, but I'm still having a problem obtaining the SJ radar for my Gar Class sub in March 1942. Shouldn't it be available then?

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-17, 07:35 AM   #4528
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Not sure if this is related, but I'm still having a problem obtaining the SJ radar for my Gar Class sub in March 1942. Shouldn't it be available then?
The SJ (surface search) for all subs in Ultimate are available June 1942. The SD (air search) is on all subs at the start of the war.

I've been trying to implement the "covers" for the SJ cabinets (their modeled but never used) prior to the "existence" of the radar, but I'm not having success. Without the proper game "command" (or "call") to initiate the models use; or the "call" to remove them when the SJ is available, the stock game prevails........meaning it's having the A-Scope and PPI cabinets on the boat, yet the only way of knowing if your SJ is available is to see if it turns "on" or not (or if its listed on the subs Weapons and Sensors Page).

Same with the idea of having the A-Scope display the SD air search, and the PPI display the SJ surface search. The stock game has them attached at the hip with each other....both showing only the SJ results. The stock game SD displays results on the Nav Map, or in the Message Text Box, but doesn't even show air contacts on the two radar screens.

I've got the two units displaying plane detection (as they should), but that's a modified feature. The stock game radar was never fully developed. Until an "SH4 Patch" is developed to address some of the games hard coded short comings we'll never be able to get it to work right.

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 05-03-17 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-03-17, 09:38 AM   #4529
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

This is all great stuff but it takes time. We have a GREAT version out there now, so think that CapnScurvy's new stuff is well worth waiting for. In the meantime our campaign three horsemen of the apocalypse are also working on great things for the future.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-17, 10:30 AM   #4530
propbeanie

We'll have to add the "Headless Horseman", or some other moniker to having CapnScurvy help with a portion of that now... sorry Cap'n...